General Discussion Race Reports! » MIGHTY MERRIMACK 1 Mile & 2 Mile Swim Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MIGHTY MERRIMACK 1 Mile & 2 Mile Swim Race - Swim1 mile Cable

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lowell, Massachusetts
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 41m 38s
Overall Rank = 28/42
Age Group = F20-39 wetsuit
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Decided to enter race Friday evening. It's Labor Day weekend. Gotta do something.
Event warmup:

Walked around in the wetsuit, chatting.
Swim
  • 41m 38s
  • 1600 yards
  • 02m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

Racers got ready by the beach, which is like a small "cove", where the water was still. "Piece of cake", I thought. Felt the resistance sa soon as we got out of the cove. Even the current was considered flat, upstream is upstream. Sighted off the river wall, keeping a close distance to it. Current is much stronger toward the middle of the river. Better to stay close to shore on the way up.
A girl to my right would sprint past me, slow down to take a break, and when I pass her, speed up to chase me. After the 6th time, I lost her. Wasn't able to find anyone to draft off. Just swam my on my own.
By the turn around point, I was tired. Glad I didn't go crazy and enter the 2-miler.

Felt a faster on the way down. Tried to swim further from the shore to take advantage of the current. Apparently not far enough. Saw a pack of people swimming almost by the opposite shore. The return leg was pretty uneventful.
Post race
Warm down:

Peed in the river.

Event comments:

Low profile, lay back race. I know the RD.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-09-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:38 | 1600 yards | 02m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 28/42
Performance: Average
No watch. No split
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course: Up- and down-stream of Merrimack River. From reliable sources, current had been pretty flat the past few weeks (unlike last year when current would push you backward even when you're standing still). Only picked up a bit yesterday after Hurricane Earl.
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-05 11:37 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: MIGHTY MERRIMACK 1 Mile & 2 Mile Swim Race

2010-09-05 2:52 PM
in reply to: #3082843

User image

Extreme Veteran
Waterboro, Maine
Subject: RE: MIGHTY MERRIMACK 1 Mile & 2 Mile Swim Race
A race! A race!  But you are still true to your goal of no triathlon this year (same with me)  Sounds like a good one!  Playing the current must have been fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MIGHTY MERRIMACK 1 Mile & 2 Mile Swim Race Rss Feed