United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1405/2500+
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 125/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up @ 4:00AM; had a little breakfast - PB+Banana on wheat toast. Packed up nutrition for the bike and headed to T1. Loaded up the bike and double checked Transition Bags.
Event warmup:

Walked to swim start and waited in line. That was enough.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 11s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Was nervous and excited rolling down the ramp to the swim start. Even though it was a TT start, the water was crowded as we started far in the back. It took 30 minutes for us to get in the water, so there were plenty of folks in front of me. I would have thought I could have found someone to draft off of but I didn't have that luck. As it was, I was strangely calm and strong throughout the swim. No bouts of coughing, as I sometimes get in a swim, and no cramping issues. I did find a pair of goggles before I made it around the island; I felt bad for whoever lost those. It was a long swim for someone!
What would you do differently?:

Get in line earlier. We had planned to try that but a flat tire in transition prevented that from occurring. My swim time was still 7 minutes faster that I had expected, so I have little to complain about here.
Transition 1
  • 06m 10s
Comments:

No real issues in T1. Had my bag quickly and the change was pretty easy.

Not really sure. I may have shaved a minute off the time but I wanted to make sure that I got everything in my pockets and was set before I left the tent.
Bike
  • 6h 28m 2s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the bike. I think that, with a little better preparation, I could shave 30 minutes or so off this time but I'm okay with it. There was a LOT of traffic on the course in the form of other bikes. It was frustrating on some of the downhill portions when I was trying to carry some speed I found other riders pulling out in front of me without any concern for faster traffic causing me to brake quickly and lose much of the momentum that I had to carry me up the next hill.

As has been previously mentioned, there were a couple of aid stations that ran out of water & powerade, which was more than a little frustrating. I made it through, though. I was concerned about the bike and making sure that I "avoided" mechanical failure. I knew that this would be the only thing that would prevent me from finishing the race.

If I could have completed more training through the Peak training phase, I would have been better able to meet the 6:00 goal that I had originally set. Surgery to remove a birthmark, and the resulting 34 stitches, prevented that from occurring. It's part of the journey to the line but a little frustrating b/c I think I could have gone faster.

The flip side of that is that I am cancer-free, so I really can't complain. Cancer v. a slower race time: not really much of a choice. I'll accept the slower time, knowing that I will go faster next time. (Yes, I said it! NEXT TIME!)
Transition 2
  • 10m 46s
Comments:

Was a little slower here but I did the full kit change. It was important to me to put on everything dry: shorts, shirt, socks, etc. It didn't prevent blisters but I felt better at the start of the run.

Not much. If I didn't do the full change and went only with the top and socks I could have shaved a couple of minutes off. I may do this next time but I wanted to go this route for my 1st.
Run
  • 6h 23m 40s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was good for the 1st ~5-6 miles. I was following a 4:1 run/walk ratio and was handling it well. Somewhere in the 5-6 mile range, my knees let me know that their day was done. They wanted to stop and have a beer at the nearest watering hole and take the rest of the day off. While that offer was tempting, I was going to finish the race. So I made a deal with the knees: Hang on for another 20 miles and I'll walk the rest of the way. They conceded and I proceeded to power-walk the remainder of the marathon. I maintained approximately a 15:00/mile pace throughout the rest of the "run", completing the marathon just under my worst-case scenario of 6:30. I passed quite a few folks that were walking and had a group of up to 4 of us at one point that were maintaining the pace. Eventually, it whittled down to just me but I kept pushing. As my time goals passed me by (sub-13, sub-14), I decided that I was going to finish before 10:00PM. That became my motivation. Just made it, crossing the line at 9:54-ish.

I also broke the agreement that I made with my knees. I couldn't walk down the finishing chute. I hit that corner and all the cheering forced me to pick it up and run the final few blocks. WHAT A RUSH! I was so ecstatic that I didn't even hear them say my name! My wife heard me called an Ironman; I was just glad to be finished!

Get more of the key runs in during Peak phase. (See surgery note in bike section.) I feel like I left at least an hour on the run course that proper training could have realized. I know that's a lot but if I can run/walk the entire marathon, I know I can go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking down the road about a block, then finding a bench to sit on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of key Peak phase training did me in for my primary goals. I was able to finish but do believe that I have some time to make up/gain out there. This is what is leading me to lean toward another go in 2011/2012.

Event comments:

My main issue, as has been previously stated by others, was the short supply of water on some of the bike aid stations. I also experienced some of the run aid stations running out of cups. That is not acceptable, especially considering that is was not yet 10:00PM!

The volunteers were incredible and were spot on at every interaction, from registration to the race course! Kudos to each and every one of you! I would do another IM-distance race but may migrate to a non-WTC race due to the fee increase ($700.00 might be past my breaking point) and the lack of swag offered. I'll look at B2B, Rev3, Redman or one of the others first before taking the m-dot plunge again.

I'm glad I did it but am also glad it's over! Next year I'm looking forward to short-course racing again!

Last updated: 2009-11-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:11 | 4224 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 57/
Overall: 627/2500+
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point-to-point in Ohio River, around Towhead Island.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:10
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:28:02 | 112 miles | 17.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 123/
Overall: 1127/2500+
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills around Louisville, lots of climbing and lots of bike traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
06:23:40 | 26.2 miles | 14m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 160/
Overall: 1771/2500+
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-07 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
CenTex
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2010-09-07 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3085583

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Hey man, good race.  Wish I had met you there!
2010-09-07 6:06 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Congrats IM!

Sounds like you did the best you could with the day given to you which is smart.

I agree cancer free is way better than faster IM time.

How are the knees? Recovery?
2010-09-07 8:16 PM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC
Congrats on a great race George. After missing some major workouts, you still had an exceptional time. Nice job.
2010-09-08 8:59 AM
in reply to: #3086200

User image

Expert
CenTex
Thanks all!  Knees are recovering.  I'm going to run today and see how they feel.  Still some tightness but ice and rest is helping.  Congrats to all that made it to the end!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed