Tuxedo Brothers
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 41m 28s
Overall Rank = 214/443
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/24
Pre-race routine:

Yet another race where I worked the night before, got about 3 hours of sleep, then got up early to drive to Indy. I had packed the night before so I was able to get up, shower, grab my gear and food, and head out the door. I downed food and water on the way.
Event warmup:

It was a 1500m walk to the swim start. I had to pee. A lot. I was more than grateful that they let us get in the water for a warmup. I used my warmup time to empty my bladder. Relief!
Swim
  • 31m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

In the week leading up to the race the water temps were above wetsuit legal temps. We had a bit of a cool down and some rain in the days prior so I took my wetsuit just in case. But then I got to the race site and decided to leave it in the car. It turned out that the water was 75 degrees come race time. I didn't feel like walking back to get my wetsuit so I swam without it.

We did a time trial start with an awkward run down a ramp and then a leap into the water. I wish I had video of my ungraceful entry into the canal. We could all have a good laugh about it I'm sure. Graceful or not I made it into the water and was on my way. It was a fairly uneventful (and slow) swim with little traffic and not much need at all to sight. I had my usual five minutes of torture trying to settle into a good rhythm but I finally found my groove and cruised to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

I really need to find a way to relax at the start of the swim. I always spend the first few minutes of the swim hating the fact that I ever took up triathlon and vowing to never do one again.
Transition 1
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Rank - 59. This was a smooth and easy transition. I was in. I was out. I was on my way.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 31s
  • 25 miles
  • 19.86 mile/hr
Comments:

Like riding the cobbles at the Tour de France. I think they picked the worst roads in town for us to ride on. I also almost got hit by a dumb ass in a car who, for some unknown reason, decided that he needed to be in the lane that was clearly marked off and was chock full of cyclists. He was so unbelievably clueless that it was almost funny.

About half-way thru the bike segment I realized that I needed to pee. I actually contemplated stopping at a gas station that was on the route. The bushes also looked inviting. Instead, I kept pedaling forward and decided to make a pitstop in T2.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Rank - 82

I got my bike racked, changed my shoes, grabbed my race belt and visor and looked deperately for a porta-potty. I asked a volunteer and she pointed some out that were way off course. I decied to forego the long trek and see if I could find a nice quite spot on the course.
Run
  • 51m 59s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I frantically searched for an appopriate place for a nature break. I never found one. I did, however, find some pace booty. A gal in a pink tri suit passed my early on in the run and I spent the rest of the race trying to pass her back while simultaneously trying not to pee myself. It kept my mind occupied and helped the miles fly by. I never did catch the pink lady - I got close but she out-kicked me at the end - and I never did get a chance to pee.
Post race
Warm down:

I said a quick hello to my mom and then it was a beeline for the thankfully deserted porta-potties. I can't believe I raced with a full bladder for as long as I did. I might actually be more impressed with that than with my finishing time. I'm more than pleased with how the day played out and I'm tickled pink with my run time. I'm getting better on the run with each passing month. If I learn to ride my bike I might actually turn myself into a mediocre triathlete!

Last updated: 2010-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:36 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 232/443
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Point to Point in the canal
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:31 | 25 miles | 19.86 mile/hr
Overall: 319/443
Wind: Some
Course: Two-loop course on the streets of Indy
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:59 | 06.2 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 211/443
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-08 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Tri Indy

2010-09-08 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3087524

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Tri Indy
Nice race...especially on a full bladder for over half of it!  I never knew that pace pooty stopped a person from peeing but it's good to know for the future.  Just another reason to find and follow some   Congrats on a well-run race and a top 5 finish in your age group...that's awesome!
2010-09-08 8:31 PM
in reply to: #3087524

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Tri Indy
Having spent more than one race hunting the portapotties on the course I have to say this is most entertaining!  That is impressive if you had to pee all the way through the bike and run! 

The splits are nice too
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Indy Rss Feed