General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Paths Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-22 8:28 PM

New user
Subject: Bike Paths
Near where I'm living now there's a bike trail next to my route that goes about 3.5 miles. My dillema is whether I should ride on the trail or the road. The roads have fairly narrow shoulders but the bike paths always have people on them whether it be walkers, people with dogs, or kids on bikes going .5 mph. Also I've read on numerous websites taht it's more dangerous to ride on bike paths than the road because of the amount of traffic on bike paths. I've been told (more like yelled at) along this stretch to get on the bike path by drivers and I'm questioning the stuff I've heard and considering the path. (I average 18-21 mph if that could be a deciding factor.)

2005-07-22 9:59 PM
in reply to: #205312

Columbus, OH
Subject: RE: Bike Paths
I was pretty excited when they opened a new bike path in my neighborhood that runs a good 6-7 miles, and is going to be expanded. Unfortunately, it is a "multipurpose" trail, so lots of kids, dogs, walkers, leisure riders, and roller bladers. It's fine for running, but I end up loading the bike in the truck and driving the 15 mintues to the less busy roads that are bike friendly. The trail is fine for running, but not so much for biking. Itactually has a 15 MPH speed limit that I'd be (hopefully) exceeding anyway.

Chris
"Lost five pounds this week - 3 pounds sweat, 2 pounds weakness"
2005-07-22 10:40 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
The problem with multi-use paths (unless they are quite wide) is that usually you are exceeding a speed that is safe.  I'd think that if you are riding about 10 mph they are fine, but otherwise, you are in more danger on the bike path than on the road.
2005-07-23 6:49 AM

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
There's a fairly long bike path near where I live - goes quite a few miles from Bedford to Arlington MA. It's a multi-use. A friend of mine rides it alot and says at times it can be busy. I have found that there are certain times that are busier than others. Try to get there in off hours.

As far as people yelling at you. I've had walkers on bike paths yell at me. They can go screw - someone will ALWAYS have a problem with you doing something - even breathing. Just keep in mind that it is a multi-purpose trail and you'll need to share it. Going 20-25mph might be a little fast with lots of other people around.
2005-07-23 8:48 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
THere is a bike path in my neighborhood which I never ride on.  1-there is garbage all over it leaves, sand, twigs etc 2- kids 3- walkers 4- rollerbladers 5-lots of stop signs 6- bumps between roads (I could go on) 7-and most importantly I CAN"T RIDE FAST ON IT due to #1-6.....Stay on the road.  There are some bike paths designated for bikes only closed to motorized traffic and those are fine.  Usually the ones inthe neighborhood are meant for mommies out with their strollers, walking dogs, kids with training wheels etc.  Good luck -SMO
2005-07-23 9:29 AM

New user
Alright thanks a lot for the imput and I will definitely stay on the road. The drivers can learn to deal with it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Paths Rss Feed