United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 45s
Overall Rank = 34/359
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up early to get a prime transition spot. Racked the bike and set everything up. Went back to to car to wait. Finally went and had a bagel and banana. And just relaxed. Had a long wait til my swim heat.
Event warmup:

Just a little swimming to loosen up the shoulders.
Swim
  • 10m 8s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for me. I really pushed the distance as I knew what to expect and knew I could hold pace throughout the whole swim. Started 3rd in my group and passed the first two people in the first 250. One of my better swims. This includes a 1-1:30 run from the pool to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Start at the front and hold on. It is kind of nice to have the carrot of someone in front of you, but maybe the idea of holding off the competition would push me more.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Good transition, but not my best. Stopped to put socks on, but that was maybe 5-10 seconds tops.

Nothing. Did my best for my second race in 2 years. It all comes back eventually.
Bike
  • 33m 3s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Pushed really hard out of transition and passed 2 people before we even got to the first part of the bike trail. Kept pushing really hard throughout. Only one part did I let up a little to avoid blowing up. Felt great strength in my legs, but did have problems breathing. Just couldn't get a full breath. I think I just pushed so hard on the swim it caught up to me. Passed a lot of people!!!

Try to find one more gear to push. But really felt like I left everything on the course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

Almost lost my shoes with my feet on top. There was a big waterway/path across the road and my feet slipped off my shoes as I was pushing hard coming into transition. Luckily only lost a second or two in recovery.

Racked bike threw on running shoes and headed out. One thing to note was they had screwed up and given my timing to chip to someone else, so I had a new chip and new bib number. Unfortunately I didn't have time to secure the race number, so in T2, I grabbed my belt and ripped off my old number. Lost a snap for the race belt in the process. But was able to get the new number onto the remaining snap as I ran out of transition.

Nothing.
Run
  • 25m 29s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt o.k. Finally got my breathing right. And was happy to be passing people throughout the course. Felt stronger on each mile. Could have started off stronger.

Just put the head down and run. Felt o.k. for the first mile, but not keeping a really fast pace. Would have liked to know my splits, but forgot the watch when dealing with the bib number incident. Second mile got into a groove, and third mile, killed it. Passed a ton of people out here, and only was passed twice. One person in my age group. But with the pool swim start, don't know if he was in front of me or behind me. Tried to hang on his feet, but didn't have anything left.

Nothing. Just ran my race at my limit.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and relaxed in the shade for a few minutes. Then went and stood in a cold shower for a couple of minutes to cool down, wash off and relax. Felt really good. Don't know why I did this. Never did this before, but it definitely helped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training time. Just haven't had enough time this year to get outside and really hit my peak. But that is what keeps me going. Knowing that I still have a huge race in me and even at 41, I still think I can get faster with proper training.

Event comments:

This is a really fun race for people of all ages. Good crowd and good volunteers. Having done this race multiple times, we all know that the swim will start 30-60 minutes late, and just figure that in to my day. While it sucks, we all know this and accept it. I would definitely recommend this race to a beginner, and would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun, well put together race.

Last updated: 2010-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:08 | 500 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/359
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Pools swim with 5/lane. Good group of people. 20 lengths
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:03 | 12 miles | 21.79 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Sinlge lap course with a couple of good size hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:29 | 03.1 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Course: This is an out and back on a very flat trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Fall Frenzy

2010-09-13 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3095419

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO
Subject: RE: Fall Frenzy
Nice work!  IMHO, I think you can definitely gain an advantage by drafting off of someone in the pool, as long as that person is a little faster than you and the person behind you isn't tapping your feet.
2010-09-13 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Great job out there!  And I agree...there are  a lot of guys in their 40s that get faster with dedicated training.
2010-09-17 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Nice race!  That's a great bike split for that course too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fall Frenzy Rss Feed