General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Herbalife International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Herbalife International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Malibu, California
United States
Michael Epstein Sports Productions, Inc.
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 31m 23s
Overall Rank = 163/1077
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 24/114
Pre-race routine:

Arrived late. Set up the bike in transition, got body marked, threw on the wetsuit and wolfed down half of a jumbo PayDay bar, then off to line up for swim start.
Event warmup:

Did about 200M out and back into the surf to get acclimated.
Swim
  • 29m 26s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim for me - stuck with what works for me, which is to just treat it like a training swim and find a rhythm, then stick with it. Actually had my best swim ever at this distance, by quite a margin (Oly PB).
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Totally happy with my swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

This was an inexcusably long transition for me, and I know I gave up several AG places here. My tri top got stuck around my shoulders like a figure 8 sling bandage and it was an epic wrestling match to get it down over my torso. Not happy at all with my time here, but that's just the way things go sometimes.

Not forget my towel so I can at least dry off a little before donning the singlet.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.94 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a pretty mediocre bike effort for me. Heading outbound I just didn't have the normal "snap" in my legs and I wasn't able to punch off the crest of hills to maintain momentum. HR was spiking a little as well. I wasn't prepared for the amount of rollers and false flats either, having done no recon on the course and having been told (mistakenly) by others that the course was 90% flat with just a couple of tiny hills. Incorrect...this is actually a pretty good bike course with a LOT of rollers and false flats on the Northbound leg. Return leg I started feeling a little more normal and was able to up the speed considerably. I think my performance here was affected by two factors - I rode a 110 miler last weekend at IM pace (bad idea) and didn't get my normal breakfast - I was fueling off of mainly simple sugars (read: junk, LOL), so I was a little lightheaded before I even hit the bike. Oh well, lesson learned. =)

1. Eat a proper breakfast;
2. Not do a long ride the weekend before an OLY at relatively high effort;
3. Recon the course so I can be mentally prepared for what lies ahead;
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Average transition for me.
Run
  • 44m 9s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a decent run for me, especially since my run training has been near non-existent since CdA. I actually felt pretty good on the entire run, except for a slight, persistent side-stitch which would not go away.
Post race
Event comments:

I went into this race with two-weeks notice and knew it was not going to be a stellar race for me. Just getting into build mode for IM AZ in November and looked at this race mainly as a baseline check/"how am I doing" exercise and it turns out that I'm right around where I thought I was. A little disappointed that I didn't have it in me to push a little harder on the bike, but overall, I had a good time and actually enjoyed this race. Will definitely do this one again.

Last updated: 2010-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:26 | 1640 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/114
Overall: 324/1077
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra Vector Pro X2
Course: triangular course heading north along Zuma beach.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:12 | 24.85 miles | 20.94 mile/hr
Overall: 144/1077
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course with a lot of rollers and false flats, particularly heading North.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:09 | 06.21 miles | 07m 07s  min/mile
Overall: 147/1077
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat out and back with some rather odd twists, turns and out/backs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Subject: Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Herbalife International Distance

2010-09-13 2:00 PM
in reply to: #3095464

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Herbalife International Distance
Good job...congrats on the swim PR.  I started 3 waves behind you and it looks like I must have been shadowing you about 12-13 minutes back all morning...we must have passed each other on the run when I was heading out to the last turnaround on Westward Beach Rd. and you were heading in. 
2010-09-13 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3095464

User image

Veteran
SoCal
i was sure that you were going to finish in the 2:10s-2:15s..im sure that long bike ride had something to do with it man...good race nonetheless john..
2010-09-13 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3096550

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Triheado - 2010-09-13 4:40 PMi was sure that you were going to finish in the 2:10s-2:15s..im sure that long bike ride had something to do with it man...good race nonetheless john..
Put a price on my head and a mob of track stars and cat 1 cyclists in pursuit and I *might* have a 2:10 Oly in me, lmao. I was actually shooting for 2:20-2:25 based on my fitness. I've been having a very, shall we say "relaxed" summer, hehehe. Time to get back at it though.You tore it up out there....nice job!-John
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica Malibu Triathlon - Herbalife International Distance Rss Feed