United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 53m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4, ate good size breakfast off eggs and fruit and vitamin drink. My head wasn't right and I just couldn't focus. Energy was still low as it's been for a while, but I figured adrenaine a caffeine would serve me well. I decided to write some notes for T1 and T2 since I felt like I'd forget to put my helmet on or something. Little did I know...
Event warmup:

Not much, just dynamic stretching. The shorter the race, the longer the warm up, so I figured a race this long doesn't need much if any warm up.
Swim
  • 33m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a great swim. I took it easy on the first loop and just cruised. Didn't find a draft, but there was pretty clear water most of the way. I hit every buoy so I knew I was going straight. After starting the second loop I felt great, so I picked it up just a bit while keeping everything pretty relaxed and smooth and really lengthened my strokes. When I exited the water, I felt totally relaxed, wasn't breathing very hard, and heart rate was very low. I had no coughing at all during the swim, which is amazing given the bronchitis issues I'd been having and each short swim I had done over the past two weeks resulted in violent coughing.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this swim exceeded all expectations.
Transition 1
  • 06m 24s
Comments:

This was a long uphill from the pond to T1. I knew I'd struggle with breathing/coughing if I hoofed it, so I walked the entire hill (probably about 300 yards). Once I got to my transition spot, I was experiencing some brain freeze trying to figure out how to proceed, and the notes I had written helped. I still took quite a while to figure out how to get everything on and get the bike started.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Based on how I felt when I woke up in the morning, I had decided to abandon my thoughts of pushing the bike in favor of taking it easy and seeing if my energy would hold up. I spent the first 30 miles on total cruise control, barely working into Z2. At mile 30, I felt ok, but the general energy level was dropping so I stepped it up just a bit but not too much. I did negative split the bike, but overall this was the easiest effort ride I've done all year. The big problem was that I didn't drink my calories or eat my Clif bar. More on that in the post race comments.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much, but given the run was so bad anyway could I have shaved some time here by pushing and still had the same run?
Transition 2
  • 05m 7s
Comments:

I made s'mores for everyone in my rack and caught up on some email while I was in T2. Seriously, T1 I expected to be slow due to the hill, but what the heck was I doing in T2? I still don't know what could have possibly taken this long. I guess my brain really was on vacation.
Run
  • 2h 17m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I saw the clock on the way out of T2 showing 3:36 and knew even a 2:04 would get me my uber goal of 5:40, so I knew 9:20 miles would get me there. I was right on track through about 10k, in fact a bit ahead. Then I started slowing down a bit. It was great that I had hooked up with someone running his 6th HIM and wanted to run at the same pace, so we were encouraging each other and just running together. I didn't really have any leg or muscle issues, I just had no energy. Starting around mile 8, I began to get lightheaded, and at the mile 10.5 aid station, I dropped to the ground after getting water. I spent about 20 minutes eating pretzels and resting until I felt ok, and then walked and ran the last 2.5 miles to finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of gatorade, stretched a little, let my boys wear the finisher medal, and enjoyed the turkey dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not signing up for the aquabike?

I retrieved my bike out of transition and found that I had only drank very few of my calories. Apparently when I took the last draw on the straw and it was empty, I was using the water straw but thought it was the calorie drink straw. Maybe this was the cause of the huge energy drop on the run. Or maybe I just need to swim/bike/run more and be fitter!

Event comments:

This was an awesome race top to bottom. Well organized, great volunteers, super course.

Last updated: 2009-12-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Two loop triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:24
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:51:11 | 56 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Flat course, lots of 90 turns. Pretty good winds the last 45 minutes, absolutely calm before that.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:07
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:17:19 | 13.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-13 5:20 PM

User image

NH
Subject: Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival

2010-09-14 11:52 AM
in reply to: #3096395

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival
That was an awesome swim!! I wish I could swim that fast!! 

Congratulations on your first Half Ironman!!  Welcome to the club!!

YOU did it!!
2010-09-14 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Warren... CONGRATS on an awesome race and completing your first HIM!  Under 6 hours is kicking it!  And that swim time is REDICULOUS!!!
2010-09-14 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Congratulations on a great first HIM!!! Great time especially considering that you were dealing with bronchitis leading up to the race. Excellent swim since your time was good plus you came out of the water feeling good and ready to ride. Fast bike, but not too fast so you were ready to run.

Well done toughing it out on the last few miles on the run. The run in a half iron is so different from the run in shorter distances. Sounds like your body was telling you "that's enough", but you hung in there in and finished strong.

Again, congratulations on a great race, and all the hard work that went into it!

Anthony
2010-09-14 3:34 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Absolutely fantastic job! Great finally meeting you. You looked so strong on the bike when you passed me (about 6 miles from the end of the bike), I was so encouraged. The course looked great to me - looks like I'm signing up for next year. You'll have to come up and ride the bike course with me ;-).

Congratulations - you trained so hard and fought through the bronchitis. What an inspiration you are to me and your family! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pumpkinman Triathlon Festival Rss Feed