General Discussion Race Reports! » Ernie Simpson Memorial 20K Time Trial Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Ernie Simpson Memorial 20K Time Trial - CycleTime Trial

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pine Grove Furnace Park, Pennsylvania
United States
South Mountain Velo
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m 36s
Overall Rank = /75
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Usual morning breakfast. Soccer game in the morning with the kids. Left from there.
Event warmup:

Showed up about 9:45am for a 11:09am start time. Checked in and warmed up along the course for about 45 minutes. Did a few 80-85% intervals to get the blood pumping.
Bike
  • 31m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 23.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I haven't been able to run due to an achilles injury so I've been focusing on bike and swimming. This was my first TT without a swim in front of it. Not to mention, I spent 8 months training for a 10 hour race...and this was a 30 minute all out effort.

I did a practice run about a week before and started way too fast. I really suffered the last 5K and it showed in the time. This time I started out at a much more conservative pace. You immediately hit two hills that really spike the HR. I took them hard but controlled. After that, you have a nice gradual downhill until the turnaround at 8K. I passed the 5K point in 7:32.

I reached the turnaround and felt like I had paced well so far. I lost about 10 seconds on the turnaround because I overcooked the 180 degree turn and almost wiped out. The 10K mark is shortly after the turnaround and I hit that point in 14:42. I picked up the effort at this point.

The last 10K consists of 5-6K of gradual uphill followed by 2-3 steep hills followed by another 3-4K of gradual uphill. It really is a tough course. I hammered as best I could but still struggled on those last few hills and the last 2-3K.

Crossed the line in 31:36 which was 45 seconds better than the first time I tried this. Still not great but better. I have room to improve in my straight up time trailing.
What would you do differently?:

More specific training. 3x15, 5x5, 2x20. not really trained for all out efforts like this.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode for another 45 minutes. Climbed over Pine Grove Rd and down the other side. Turned around and came back over the mountain to check out results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Inexperienced in time trialing (except for triathlon). This is a very different skill. 20K is essentially a 30 minute all out effort...similar to a 8-10K run. Need to work on power and pacing.

Event comments:

Friendly, local 20K TT.

Last updated: 2010-09-10 12:00 AM
Biking
00:31:36 | 12.43 miles | 23.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/75
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Hilly out and back. First half is much faster and net downhill. Second half is gradual incline with a few steep rollers. Finish is about 150 higher than start.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-14 8:34 AM

User image

Regular
Gettysburg, PA
Subject: Ernie Simpson Memorial 20K Time Trial
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ernie Simpson Memorial 20K Time Trial Rss Feed