Sandusky, Ohio
United States
Revolution3
Total Time = 5h 35m 25s
Overall Rank = 189/591
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 10/15
Pre-race routine:

Danika (GF) and I got to CP around 2 after a very nice drive from Indy. Checked into Breakers and took a few things up to the room then decided to go back to car to go check my bike in. Got that all done and got back to the room around 415 and got ready to head over to the team dinner at 5. Got there and had a nice dinner with some of the other Indy people and chatted before leaving around 7 (maybe?). We then went to Meijer and got a few things that I left at home. Got back to the hotel and worked on some homework til my Mom and Brother showed up around 10pm. Once they got there, we went back up to the room and talked til about 11, they decided that they were hungry and went to get food. Around 1130 my Dad showed up and we talked til 1215 or so when the other 2 showed back up and we all talked for about 30 min before I finally laid down. Fell asleep around 115 (110 was the last time I looked at my clock).

Morning of: Woke up before my alarm at 5:55 and got my stuff all gathered up and started my nutrition. Plan was to eat a Clif bar, Banana, and half a PB&J sandwich. Along with about 20 oz of water. Also wanted to take a GU about 30 min before race. As it worked out, I got a weird feeling as I was trying to eat, prolly just nerves, but I COULDN'T take in food. so I ended up only eating about 3/4 of the clif bar, half the banana, and the GU.
Event warmup:

Walk to the beach and get ready to get in water. None.
Swim
  • 39m 19s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

FIRST time in new (to me) wetsuit. I KNOW, mistake. I couldn't catch my breath til 3 buoy's out, 1 before turn. Swim isn't my strong suit, so I just wanted to get through this as uneventful as possible. I can breathe on both my right/left sides, but haven't mastered bilateral yet, so I pull hard core to one side once I get a little tired, making my navigation very poor. Overall, I must say I was pleased to get out of the water in my range of 35-40.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more open water swims, WITH waves. those things sucked.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

Wetsuit got stuck on my garmin coming off and was a struggle to get the legs off, but my bike out location was great. I didn't do a flying mount because of my wreck last week and the impact it had on my hip rotation. Picked up 36 places in T1.

Not wreck? not wear garmin on swim.
Bike
  • 2h 49m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.81 mile/hr
Comments:

Started bike in 136/6 and was feeling good. My garmin died about 5 min into the bike due to water damage, so I was flying blind. Started Nutrition as planned with a gel 3 miles into the ride. It was tough getting down, but I managed. I had to pee already. took another gel around mile 15 with 1 shot block in between. Around mile 20 I tried to eat my NutriGrain bar and I got that gag feeling so I spit it back out and forced myself to eat a shot block. The wind was definitely having an effect, but I was feeling pretty good flying by people. (@ 20.50 I moved up to 112OV w/ 20.94 avg) I was still feeling good through 30, but I could tell my quads were getting a little sore. When I tried to take my next gel at 32, I couldn't. gagged bad. Figured I would just hit the heed and try to go liquid, it wouldn't go down either. I peed on the bike at 34. First time, that was weird. tried to get more food down and it wouldn't... was starting to get very hungry. I had to pee again very shortly after I went the first time so ~39 I let it go around. AND at 48. I was cooked at this point and knew I was done. The miles between 43-53 were very bad. We were into a head wind, my nutrition wasn't on plan, and I had to pee again. When were on the bumpy road back into CP I pulled off the side of the road and went again, I must have gone for 2 minutes straight, and got passed by SO many people :(. 2nd bike split was 19.21 and fell back to end the bike in 152/9 with a 2:49:37 split.

other than nutrition, having a bike computer, and not peeing as much, I felt I was in control on the first half of the bike and was feeling a great race. my goal of a sub 2:35 bike split would have been attainable.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Everything went smooth other than my getting my left foot off my bike, due to my hip, i tried to dismount to the other side, causing me to unclip one of my shoes instead of it pulling out.

Put socks on. Body glide arm-pit.
Run
  • 2h 02m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was VERY rough for me. Coming from my running background, I've never had to walk during a race. I think I also over estimated my ability on the run. I've also not been running fast enough on my training runs. I ripped my heal open on wednesday so I knew it would come open at some point.

I ran for about 1.5 miles until my heal was open, so I stopped to adjust my shoes and couldn't get running again. I was mentally down on myself after the bike and struggled though the first 3 miles at 9:28 pace.. after around 4 miles, I decided that I might as well just run, it is going to hurt either way so I might as well just run. I was able to get a GU down and shortly after starting running... Once that happened, I felt great. I was passing people and actually running a decent pace. However, that only lasted for about 2-3 miles. I started struggling again shortly after I got passed by a group of 4 people. My hip started bothering me and I was reduced to a jog. At mile 8 I stopped and went pee again, when I came out of the Porta-john I was convinced I was going to run the rest of it. However, I wasn't able to keep that up and was reduced to walking and running some. However, all in all, for as much as I walked, and for as bad as I felt, I was still a shade above 2 hours for my run split.

3.3 (9:28)
6.0 (8:46)
3.8 (10:17)

Not ride the mental roller coaster. I'm a runner, I need to run. As long as I am positive I am sure I can get that 1:25-1:30 split.

Post race
Warm down:

I tried to eat after the race but was still wasn't able to get food down. It was almost 9pm before I was able to eat, and once I did, I ATE. took about a 45 min nap before the drive back to Indy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wreck on Wednesday really hindered me. I wasn't able to run or swim leading up to the race which I feel really hurt me mentally.

the nutrition issues were a big factor as well.

Having to pee as many times as I did was weird as well.

Wind.

Event comments:

I must say, I am VERY VERY glad that some of this stuff happened. Taught me some very important lessons moving forward towards the Austin 70.3. After I did Tri-Indy, I was like, "man this is EASY"... the difference between OLY and HIM is INSANE! I also had about a perfect race at tri-indy and about the worst rate I could have had at Rev3CP. Lessons learned, chalk it up to experience...

I was also glad that my family came up to the race. It really meant a lot for them to make the trip up there as my mom hasn't seen me race in 5 years and dad hasn't since 07.

I can't wait to have a HUGE PR at Austin.

Last updated: 2010-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:19 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/15
Overall: 172/591
Performance: Good
2:02/100 172 OV/ 7 AG Out of water
Suit: Orca Apex
Course:
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder: