3 disciplines
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m 58s
Overall Rank = 15/119
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

This was the first race after Muncie...and the plan was just to have fun again..and not worry about "racing". I just wanted to be comfortable again out there and get back in the game for Tawas in september.
Event warmup:

I was going to meet my parents and drive the hour up to Ludington that morning. I had a bagel and peanut butter and then sipped gatorade on the drive to the race.
I went for a short run when I got to the race site and really was low key about the whole race.
I managed to get a 200 yard swim warmup in which was nice.
Swim
  • 17m 46s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started on the front left and tucked in behind a couple swimmers. I did not seem to sight very well on the way out and felt like I was zig-zagging all over the place. I made the turn and was feeling pretty good. On the back section you really cannot follow the buoy line becuase they were a bit off from the actual swim out location. Luckily, the swim out location was easy to sight off of and I did not have any problems. I did notice the top female come scooting by me though a hundred yards from the finish. Turns out, she was the fastest swimmer OA guys and girls. They started 3 minutes behind the guys.
What would you do differently?:

A comfortable pace on this swim...not the normal comfortably hard pace I usually strive for..but that was the plan.
Transition 1
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

No problems here...wetsuit came off ok... I have major helmet buckling problems though.

Nada.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.02 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out passing quite a few people in the first 5 miles and then settled in to a pretty comfortable pace. The wind was blowing pretty hard out of the north which is not the normal wind direction. This made the course significantly slower than usual since it is mainly a north-south out and back. The first 15K was actually not too bad with protection from the trees. Back out on Lakshore Drive it was pretty steady headwind to the State Park and that was unusually slow. I really like the bike course and Lakeshore Drive is very smooth. We mixed in with the sprint distance athletes and was tough to know where the Oly distance athletes were at. I cruised into transition feeling pretty good.

Again..a comfortable pace..not the comfortably hard I usually strive for..but that was the plan...did I repeat myself, haha.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

get in..get out..no problem.

I should also mention that the K-Swiss K-ONA's are awesome for running without socks..love them.

Nada.
Run
  • 46m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out at a comfortable pace and just kinda cruised along. The entire run was kind of that way. I was not pushing at all and was thanking the volunteers and talking to people in the campground as I passed by. One guy in the campground handed a Pop to me like it was an aid station..I said "what, no Bud Light"..then he yelled get this guy a Bud Light. The portion in the campground and on the trail is really nice and tough to see other athletes. I only got passed once and really did not care. I knew I could push harder but was not going to today. The final leg back on Lakeshore Drive was steady and cruised into the finish line...hooray.

Nothing..had fun.
Post race
Warm down:

I have never felt this good after a race..I did not even need a nap when I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See Muncie report...Just wanted to get back at it in a comfortable fashion.

Event comments:

Good race and love the venue.

Last updated: 2010-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:46 | 1094 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 26/119
Performance: Below average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Sleeveless
Course: Lake Michigan - Out 800 meters - across 100 meters - 800 meters in
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:43 | 24.85 miles | 22.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 15/119
Wind: Some
Course: Lakeshore Drive to a lollipop section...short out and back..then back on Lakeshore Drive for out and back to the State Park...Fast Track.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:11 | 06.21 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 26/119
Course: 1.5 miles down Lakshore Drive...3.1 miles in the Campground and Neighborhoods...1.5 miles down Lakeshore Drive to Finish..great course.
Keeping cool Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes