Richmond, Kentucky
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 57s
Overall Rank = 4/110
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Ya know...you're with your family...wife the athlete, daughter the gloomy teen, son the crazy 7 year old, and ya do what ya can. I pee'd alot and ran when I could.
Event warmup:

Run a bit.
Run
  • 30m 28s
  • 3.98 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Interesting....and a learning experience for sure. This is the first time I've done a duathlon on purpose. There have been a few TRI's that's ended up that way, but this is number one that I've signed up for. I really had no idea what to expect on the run as far as "trail" running was concerned. It took about 1 mile to figure out that I either had the wrong shoes for this, or mine were WAY to loose for trail running. We were up and down and left and right and DODGE THIS and DODGE THAT for most of the trail run, which left my foot sliding around in my shoe much more than on a regular run...which lead to some good blisters. I started out at a good pace, but was very conservative for the TRAIL part, as I didn't want to fall or turn an ankle, but I stayed within striking distance of the front guys for most of this run. By near the end, I decided I liked this kind of running, even with my feet killing me. I just need to change my strategy a bit.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing....I'm learning on the fly here.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I was slow here compared to everyone else, and I'm not sure where to improve, except go to my own bike instead of someone elses next time.

Remember where I put my bike.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 9s
  • 25.34 miles
  • 20.23 mile/hr
Comments:

I did very good here. I passed most of the people in front of me from the first run and kept a great pace. Not to hard, but hard. I knew I was capable of a hard run even after a really hard bike from my training with the BIOWHEELS guys this summer...so I pushed a bit. I even passed a few guys on the hills! No one passed me until the last 2.5 miles, when one guy zipped by, but I kept him in view until the end. I bike this course fairly often, so there were no surprises...well...maybe a little one. I went down a hill at 50mph in an aero position, that I really should have with my hands on my bars.....the pucker factor was off the chart.....kinda stupid really....thank you GOD for keeping this stupid guy off the pavement today! Anyhow, I finished the bike feeling good enough to hit the pavement running....

Not much really. Just not try to kill myself over something so trivial.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Good.

Nuttin.
Run
  • 33m 30s
  • 4.15 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Got off the bike and saw the guy who had just passed me from the bike. I was on his heels within 1/4 of a mile and passed him before we hit the trails. I asked him to "come on" but he said he was his pace until the end. Off I went. I felt good this entire run, and felt nothing but better and better as it went on. I REALLY like this trail running!!!! By half way through, I knew no one was even close behind me, so I didn't push it so hard, because my legs were tired and I didn't want to hurt myself on this crazy trail. It was about this time that I saw my family walking down the trail! BIG SURPRISE, since I knew there was no way they could make it to the end before I did. I was happy to see them and they gave me a lift! I just held a nice comfortable pace until the last 1/2 mile, when the trail turned into a field and I could open it up a bit. I finished feeling great and fresh and happy!

Nothing. Zero.
Post race
Warm down:

I was sure that I was 4th overall when I finished, but didn't know my age position immediately. Walked around. Got some liquids and food in me and waited for family to emerge from the forest.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knowing my abilities on this type of format. But I couldn't have been far off from my potential. Good enough.

Event comments:

Good. I'll do it again, but they could really tweak it just a tad to take it from a good race to a awesome race.

Last updated: 2010-09-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:28 | 03.98 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 12/110
Performance: Good
Course: Starts out on pavement, and soon hits the trails. It's up, it's down and mostly through forest trails. I liked it.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:04
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:15:09 | 25.34 miles | 20.23 mile/hr
Overall: 7/110
Wind: Little
Course: Big ole loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:30 | 04.15 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Overall: 7/110
Course: Same as #1, with a 1/2 loop at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-18 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Subject: Bad to the Bone

2010-09-19 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3106292

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Bad to the Bone
Sounds FUN.  I love trail running, especially in the off season   Great job sooperstar!  Glad the big guy kept you upright...coulda been ugly
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bad to the Bone Rss Feed