General Discussion Race Reports! » Hazlewood Pondage Winter Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hazlewood Pondage Winter Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hazlewood, Victoria
Australia
7C / 45F
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 13m
Overall Rank = LAST/70
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Felt great, had a good nights sleep and had everything packed the night before. Ate my oat and egg white and banana pancake in the car on the way to the tri (90 minutes away).
Event warmup:

Went for a short jog.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1600 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

This did not go well. I felt ok about the swim, wasn't nervous and felt good about the distance etc but as soon as I started I was fighting panic. The swim was in a lake and it was very, very dark and it just freaked me out not being able to see anything.
I swam for a few minutes trying to calm myself down and flipped onto my back and was ok doing that but everytime I had to put my face in the water and saw how black it was I freaked.
I hung onto the kayak for a minute to gather myself and started off again but it just kept happening so after about 600m the boat pulled me out.
I thought that was the end of my day but when they got me off the boat they said I could still do the bike / run legs if I waited till everyone had cleared the transition area so even though I REALLY, REALLY wanted to go home (as I had in my head already) I toughed it out and got on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Lots of practice. I had this experience the last time I attempted this but got over it with the help of one of the tri club guys babysitting me. That lake wasn't as dark though.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had all the time in the world as I had to wait for all the swimmers to come and go!

Bike
  • 00m
  • 36 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

This was a tough course with the hills and the wind.

Get outside more - I know the time in the saddle wasn't a problem but add wind and add hills and it showed up my lack of real bike fitness.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Nice and quick

Nothing.
Run
  • 00m
  • 0 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

Felt good, felt pretty happy to be off the bike to be honest.

Have a better swim and bike :)
Post race
Warm down:

Does sulking count?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training on the bike.

Event comments:

I set out last and was last the whole race. Mentally this was a major challenge and I pretty much wanted to quit from the minute I got into the boat.
To see people packing up behind me was humbling to say the least.
I later found out they pulled a few people out of the water but they didn't attempt to finish so I guess I feel good about the fact I gutted it out even though I really didn't want to be there and I was really embarrassed.
Some of the guys from the tri squad waited for me which was really nice and I got some lovely comments like "You have more courage than I've got" and a big cheer when I went across the finish line (I was hoping to sneak in without anyone watching!).
When I finished I looked across to the transition area and EVERY SINGLE THING was gone except for a little bit of rack and my bike!! So I saw the humour in that and took some photo's - much to the amusement of some people close by. I left pretty quickly because I was really embarrassed but in the end I am glad I did it.
I said to one of the tri squad guys "I'm still not a triathlete because I didn't finish the swim" and he said "yes you are, you did all the hard bits" so I guess I'll take that!

Last updated: 2010-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1600 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/70
Performance:
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 36 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance: Below average
No idea my watch stopped working
Wind: Strong
Course: 3 loops - quite hilly and strong headwinds on the section leading to the transition area.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 00 kms |  min/km
Performance: Average
No idea
Course: Heading out of transition it was uphill and into a strong headwind. 2 laps and the out course was flat but killer headwind and the way back was one big ass hill so a really tough run course but I felt pretty good (enjoyed this the most)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-19 10:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Hazlewood Pondage Winter Triathlon

2010-09-20 6:01 AM
in reply to: #3107275

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Hazlewood Pondage Winter Triathlon
Rough day out there!  Yes, a bad swim is hard to shake off for the rest of the day.  Good on you for gutting it out.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hazlewood Pondage Winter Triathlon Rss Feed