Hoosierman Events and Runnertainment
58F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 22m 57s
Overall Rank = 41/44
Age Group = 46-50
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Event warmup:

Ran about 5 min, air temperature was only in mid 50s. No swim since water temp was 71 and I didn't have a wetsuit.
Swim
  • 46m 19s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

See above, not a good first lake swim. Need a wetsuit and goggle anti-fog for next cold swim. The trick of spitting in goggles didn't work this time.
What would you do differently?:

Get a wetsuit and try different goggles or anti-fog spray.
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Since I was so close to the exit, with uphill bike start, I put on my bike shoes before mounting bike. I thought this would be the better plan. Due to the temperature and having a cold, I also decided to put on a long sleeve shirt and my gloves. I'm glad I did since it started raining.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 31m 9s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off feeling pretty bad, with some wheezing which I didn't expect. I started feeling better around the half way mark, but then it started to rain. This is why my pace was fairly slow.

Not much to do differently here, considering the conditions.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Was pretty slow overall. I didn't see any reason to hurry since I was so far behind.
Run
  • 1h 00m 52s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I was pretty happy with my run, considering how I felt and having a cold. It did quit raining about 2 miles into the run, which helped as well.

Nothing for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched some. Ate a couple of bananas and drank water, then headed to the truck to turn the heated seats on!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not feeling well due to cold after swim, swim would have been better if I didn't have goggle issues.

Event comments:

The race would have been better if it didn't rain and I didn;t have a cold. I felt the course overall was good for my current ability level, with the exception of the swim.

Last updated: 2010-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:19 | 1640 yards | 02m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 55/44
Performance: Bad
Goggles fogged about 1/3 of the way in and couldn't see. I then had issues with clearing goggles since I couldn't clear them without sinking. I wasted about 5 minutes total time trying to figure out where I was on the course, then trying to clear my goggles without sinking. I was finally able to clear them and the secong half of the swim went OK.
Suit: None
Course: There were not many cones to help mark the course. This, in addition to goggle issues, caused me to get lost on the swim course. I was able to see where I had been by floating on my back, but that doesn't help going forward. I was more panicked about getting off line and DQ'd than by being lost.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:31:09 | 24.8 miles | 16.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 44/44
Wind: Some
Course: Challenging course to me, rolling hills. Rain for last half of bike didn't help. I started off feeling pretty bad, with some wheezing which I didn't expect. I started feeling better around the half way mark, but then it started to rain.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:00:52 | 06.21 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 34/44
Course: Challenging hill about 5 miles in, plus some others about 3 miles in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-09-20 11:30 AM

Knoxville
Subject: S.W.A.T. Triathlon

2010-09-24 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3107939

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: S.W.A.T. Triathlon
Sorry to hear about your goggles.  I have corrective lenses in my goggles and would be pretty blind without them.  I would invest in a wetsuit.  I had one and the water was perfect with it on.

We got lucky in that the prevailing winds were from the east and not from the west as they normally are.  It would have been a long 10 miles directly into a headwind on the way back which would have been disheartening.

If you have any specific recommendations for next year's race, pot them here.  I work with the wife of one of the organizers and they are looking for feed back.
2010-09-26 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3116044

Knoxville
The only thing I would change would be to include more buoys to mark the swim course. I think if there would have been 3 more between the yellow triangle buoy and the furthest buoy out that would have helped, as well as one more between the yellow buoy and the one where we turned to go back to the transition area. The goggles fogging wouldn't have worried me too much if there were more markers, I was more panicked about drifting too far off course and being disqualified.

I would also work out a deal with the state to allow race participants to enter chain o' lakes park without having to pay another $5 or $7 to enter the park. This should be included in the entry fee.  Also, I didn't include this in the race report, but I apparently was the last swimmer in, since the lifeguards in the kayaks were following me in. However, there was one that stayed too close, sometimes within 3 feet of me, which was distracting. Overall, I think it the first SWAT tri was pretty well organized, hopefully there will be more.  I will definitely invest in a wetsuit before next year Smile
2010-09-27 11:05 AM
in reply to: #3118173

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I forwarded your suggestions.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » S.W.A.T. Triathlon Rss Feed