Community First Fox Cities Marathon
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 08m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 56/198
Pre-race routine:

Dead to the world when the alarm went off at 5:15. Showered, coffee, bagel and peanut butter and granola, Diet Pepsi. Took an ibuprophen to head off any aches in my hip. Grabbed my stuff and headed to the shuttle pick up area. Nice and wide open for parking. Chatted with an associate I know from work in the line..small world. Drank my water bottle in bus.
Event warmup:

Got to site at about 640 am. Race at 7...jumped in porto pot line, and got into the big pack of peeps on the street. It was COLD! Had on a long sleeve shirt but forgot my gloves WAHHH!
Run
  • 2h 08m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I was happy with run. I didn't want to blow up too soon and I'm not too sure how I fair as time goes by...during training, I tended to fade with speed and strength but then again, it was hotter then. Cool day made it seem easier...did throw off long sleeve shirt after about 2 miles though. Saw hub and son at mile 11 but didn't talk cuz knew I'd get too winded...saw other peeps i knew too in race but didn't talk cuz i'm not capable of running and talking at the same time LOL
What would you do differently?:

At one point I looked at my Garmin and was surprised to see 8:40 as a pace-- I was surprised because I was not huffin' and puffin' but I didn't want to push it too much too soon (This is where my brain is my worst enemy... maybe if I didn't have the Garmin, I would have gone longer at a higher pace and been fine for the duration)..dunno.
Post race
Warm down:

was cold within mins. Figured I'd find my family but they went home cuz son was cold. I had grabbed some cookies thinking they'd be there (and son would want) but notta...so I meandered back to my car and watched some racers making their way in and I felt like Steve Martin in the Jerk cuz I had my hands full with a water bottle, choco milk, cookies, muffin, a bag of chips and trying to hold the mylar blanket on to keep from shivering.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of any speed work and not sure of exactly how far I can push without imploding. Guess we never know that given different circumstances though.

Event comments:

Loved the Wizard of Oz water station near finish. Guys in drag! LOTs of great volunteers and support through out race. Just wish they'd start some of the stuff earlier for the 1/2 marathoners--like bands/djs etc.. And wish the food was other than Arby's...at 9 am, roast beef?! ugh! LOL
Great finish spot at park...perfect for families. If only that big yellow orb, the sun, showed itself more that day. I would recommend this race.

Last updated: 2010-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:54 | 13.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/198
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat course except for some overpasses. Winds thru neighborhood streets to park alongside the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-20 4:50 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Subject: Fox Cities Half Marathon

2010-09-20 8:11 PM
in reply to: #3108669

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Fox Cities Half Marathon
Awesome job!!!!  The fact you slept so well meant you were totally ready for the race and you nailed it!  Here's to cool weather every year.
2010-09-21 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
"the new phone book is here, the new phone book is here. I'm somebody!"  (favorite line from The Jerk) Great job!  By the way, some times it is fun to push yourself until you implode!
2010-09-21 5:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Green Bay, WI
Congrats on a great race Sarah! It seems we always underestimate our capabilities and we're our own worst enemy. Glad things went well for you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fox Cities Half Marathon Rss Feed