Midwest Sports Events
50F / 10C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 41m 30s
Overall Rank = 302/805
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 27/59
Pre-race routine:

I have done this race every year since 2005. However this year I am up to my neck in marathon training. My legs are tired, I am crabby and tired and hardly touched my bike in the last month. So I was seriously considering not doing this. In fact a few days before race day I decided I wasn't doing it. Then I rested on saturday. I felt a little better and the weatherman said no rain for sunday. So sunday morning I got up and thought, just for fun I will go ahead and do it. I got up. packed my transition bag, wiped the cobwebs off my bike (no, really, I'm not kidding) and headed over for the short ride to Dousman. As soon as I got there and got in the race atmosphere and saw my friends Amyjo, Joerunner, Kimk, lrunfit and Nicole I knew I had made the right decision.
Event warmup:

Since I signed up day of, I was in the last wave (wave 20)I went on about 3 warm up runs to stay warm and to loosen up the legs
Run
  • 13m 48s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Finally after a good 1/2 hour it was time to go. Then some woman was in the wrong wave and delayed the start. I think her name was joerunner or something like that. ;) I started out kind of in the middle of the pack and tried to find some clear space. I knew my bike would stink so I decided to floor it on the runs. So I did. My Pr for this race was 14:10 in 2007 and I have had a tough time beating that...until today.
What would you do differently?:

Have a slight bit of rest
Transition 1
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Put on knit mittens which slowed me down a bit, but I didn't want cold hands

pay more attention in school and get better grades.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 50s
  • 21 miles
  • 17.79 mile/hr
Comments:

I pretty much put my bike away for the season at the beginning of August. The last time I was on it was September 3. So I wasn't expecting much, put I was going to just go out and have fun. Started out feeling pretty good and was averaging about 19 mph. About the best I could expect. Unknown to me Joerunner was stalking me and about mile 4 she caught me. I did manage to briefly pass her back. Honestly I was just trying to stay out in front of the 9 year old kid racing. Then at mile 5 something stupid happened: it started to rain. I said to myself, this is not possible. There is no rain forcast. That didn't change anything, it kept raining. I swore. That didn't help and it kept raining. I don't like to ride in the rain. I was especially skiddish because of all the newbies (who have no idea where to ride on the road )and was afraid of hurting myself before the marathon. Soon after Joerunner passed me, the kid passed me and then Amyjo passed me. Then it got worse. My glasses were covered with water and I couldn't see out of them, so I was riding looking over the top of glasses. Only one problem, I wear glasses because I can't see without them. Good news is I know this route so well that I literally know where the potholes and cracks in the road are. However I slowed to an unacceptable speed. I plodded along for about the next 5. (although I couldn't read my Garmin or bike computer without my glasses) At mile 10 I picked up the pace to an acceptable level but the damage was done.

This was going to be crappy, but with rain and the blockade of newbie riders it was really a stinker. However, today that was ok. Actually last time I did this race in the rain, my average was 15.5. So I guess that is progress.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

pulled my wet socks and gloves off. took so long because I needed to tie my shoes well.

I would have invested in Apple because now I would be rich!
Run
  • 13m 37s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I figured if I was going to have to run in the rain, I might as well run fast. So I did. About a quarter mile in, my shoe untied I decided I had to stop and tie it. Then I was off, pushing as hard as I could. I caught back up to the kid, played cat and mouse for a minute and then put him in my rearview mirror. I caught up to joerunner and warned her that the kid was coming (she put him in his place too) at about the mile mark my shoe untied AGAIN! This time I decided that I wasn't going to waste any more time. So my lace flapped around for the next mile. I was working real hard, but felt good and strong. Pushed the pace to avg of 6:40. Despite putting on the burners, could not catch Amyjo (she beat me by 15 seconds!)

Learn to tie my shoes. Otherwise nothing. Faster than run #1 and PR pace for this race and any race I have ever run
Post race
Warm down:

Shivering and hanging with my dear friends

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ignoring my bike like a bad habit and that unforcasted rain.

Event comments:

Always enjoy this race and glad I did it this year. However I am still mad at the weatherman...

Last updated: 2010-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:13:48 | 02 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/59
Overall: 0/805
Performance: Good
Course: flat around town with a little bit of grassy stuff
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
01:10:50 | 21 miles | 17.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 39/59
Overall: 0/805
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: rolling hills though my homeland
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:35
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:13:37 | 02 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/59
Overall: 75/805
Performance: Good
Course: same as first, only wetter
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-09-21 7:06 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Dousman Duathlon

2010-09-21 7:13 AM
in reply to: #3109231

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Dousman Duathlon
Great job on the PR's...and as always  a thouroughly entertaing race report!
2010-09-21 9:59 AM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Awesome race and great report! Always a pleasure racing with you!

2010-09-21 10:18 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Run the long hair over next time.

Great job with the sub-7's!  EEEAAAWWW!!!
2010-09-21 3:18 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Nice race Jim!  It never works when I swear at the rain either.  I think the thing to make sure you do is NOT wash the car, and PLEASE cut the grass nice and short the day before the race.  Those items seem to keep the rain away.

2010-09-22 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
You know, those are some things I wish I would have done differently as well.  You forgot to brag about your door prize.  Whatcha gonna spend it on?  Great job out there...I told you all those long miles would make you speedy fast.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dousman Duathlon Rss Feed