Bkfst: 2 ensure drinks, banana in oatmeal, pineapple/orange juice, coffee
Event warmup:

Put on my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 35m 12s
  • 1920 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I swam WWWAAAYYYYY of course, to the tune of about 400 meters at least. It was crazy. A rookie mistake. I was so pissed at myself that I made such a rookie mistake! It took me a good 10 minutes to get back into the pack, which I did at an angle of course :) I'm not THAT much of a rookie.
What would you do differently?:

Uh, try to stay on course a bit more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

This transition was long. Hell, all my transitions are long because I just don't practice them. I wasn't stressed out though because I'm used to being slow in transition by now.

Not much. I could totally cut my transition times by a minute, but I'm so far away from placing in my age group anyway that it doesn't really matter.
Bike
  • 2h 54m 2s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.31 mile/hr
Comments:

I was told to stay in 130-135bpm but honestly, that felt WAY too easy so I amped it up to between 140-150bpm most of the race, even then I felt like I was holding back too much for this distance....but oh well. NO worries.

My nutrition was right on. I finished about 24oz of my 3 hr bottle of perpetuem (just right) and took 10 electrolylte tables on the bike.

I could have easily gone faster on the bike but I knew a freggin' scorching run was in store for me so I was okay with holding back as much as I did on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 42s
Comments:

T2 was another slow transition for me but who cares, I'm slow in transitions and I have no real desire to get faster in them.
Run
  • 2h 00m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Man, I couldn't believe how hot it was. I also couldn't believe how many people were walking. It was like running through the "walking dead." It was CRAZY.

I was so proud that I didn't feel the need to walk except 3-4 steps through transitions to get down water and get ice placed in my cap.

I knew I had to stay on top of my hydration, electrolytes, and body cooling in order to make any sense of this run.

I drank at least 1-2 full cups of water at EVERY aid station and at every other aid station took 3 electrolyte tablets. Ended up downing about 17-20 electrolyte tables during the course of the run.

It didn't seem like my stomach really enjoyed my small shots of gel from my flask so I ended up only downing a total of 2 gels during the entire run.

I could NOT for the life of me get my HR up past 165 because once I did I felt like I was just empyting out energy onto the street with a fire hose. I mean it was REALLY draining to try to get into zone 4. But what I did find was that at a 160bpm HR I felt like I was pushing myself but not too hard. Below 160bpm felt much too easy and above 160-162bpm I felt like I was using up too much energy with not much gain in speed.

Try not to have to go #2 (nature call) during a race. That really sucks! Next time my friend recommended Immodium AD prior to the race.
Post race
Warm down:

1 bottle of water went down like a sponge and I nursed another bottle. I then walked with my friend down to the lake and went in waist deep to cool off. That worked PERFECTLY! That lake was freggin CCCOOOLLLDD, which meant my body temperature really needed it 'cause it didn't feel cold at ALL in the morning during the swim.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Quite frankly, the heat and my anticipation of a hot run limited my bike performance.

Event comments:

This race was well run but I was a little confused as to why they separated the girls and the guys in transition for the first time this year rather than racking us by bib #. Kinda strange. Like somebody complained they thought the other sex had cooties so they should separate us. :)

This was a REALLY good race to lead up to IMWI. I was able to sufficiently practice my nutrition and electrolyte replacement in extreme conditions and didn't have ANY trouble digesting it. I was very happy.

I also have finally realized that no matter how HARD I train I will never be as good as my 2 friends. They are such phenominal athletes with such little training it makes me sorta depressed. I work 2-3 times harder than they do....to no avail. OH well...SIGH.

I also realized that my bike race pace at IMWI is going to be NOWHERE near what I thought it would be. At a zone 3 I'll be lucky to average 17mph on that course.

I also have changed my IMWI goal after this race. My original IMWI goal was not a finish time but to run an average of 10:00min/miles on the marathon. I have now revised that goal to simply not walking the marathon (except the 1 big hill we do twice and 3-4 steps through aid stations).

If I end up running 12:00-13:00min/mils at IMWI but I didn't WALK any of those miles, I will be happy with my performance.

Last updated: 2005-07-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:12 | 1920 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 40/127
Overall: 339/1073
Performance: Below average
158 bpm average with a 166 bpm max HR. Probabaly hit the max when I found out how far off course I was. ha ha ha!
Suit: shorty wetsuit (no arms and short legs)
Course: Point to point
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:54:02 | 56 miles | 19.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 69/127
Overall: 449/1073
Performance: Below average
149 bpm average with a 164 bpm max.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course had tail winds, cross winds, and head winds. The winds felt about 15-17mph maybe a bit more with gusts.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:00:27 | 13.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/127
Overall: 187/1073
Performance:
The mile splits were all scred up but my first couple miles were strong at 8:00, 8:22, 8:37 then the heat started to get to me and the mile markers started getting weird. They were WAY off. No way was I running a 7:00min/mile immediately followed by a 9:45min/mile at the same HR! My avg HR for the entire run was about 160bpm.
Course: out and back with 2 loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-25 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: Spirit of Racine 2005

2005-07-25 6:49 PM
in reply to: #206991

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine 2005
Steve, awesome race.  You had a plan and marched it out very well.  I'm particularly impressed with your run time given the bike speed and the heat.  Awesome.
2005-07-25 7:17 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Great job Steve!Our experiences sound very similar. I swam so far off course and attacked the final buoy from about 300 yards out in the lake. I think they needed more buoys along the line. Oh well.You aptly described the run ... the walking dead. I took 3-4 cups of water at every station, two for me, one for the top of my head and one for my back and chest. What does it say when you put ice down your pants and you can't feel it? You did a great job. Congratulations!! I'll be watching your progess toward IMWI.
2005-07-25 10:56 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
chicago area
What a great race! Like I posted to the other Sof R competitors, I'm so impressed with you and the rest of the BTers who gutted it out in the sweltering heat and finished!
Congratulations!
2005-07-25 11:01 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI

Steve, it sounds like you had a really great race.  I'm glad it went so smoothly for you

I can't imagine downing 17 endurolytes on the race course.  Maybe I should have...

Anyway, great race!

2005-07-26 8:56 AM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
What a great race.  Your run split for a half is awesome especially given the conditions.  Don't worry - as much as most of us trian we won't be as good as you either!  Congrats and don't let down until after IMWI.

2005-07-26 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
I got a little off course too on the swim.  There was a long stretch in the middle where they definitely could have used more buoys it seemed.  Oh well.  I had company at least, as I had two tag-alongs drafting off me that followed me off course.  Hehehe.

Great execution of a solid race under some pretty brutal conditions.  You slowed down far less than many.  I kept waiting for you to pass me on the bike.  In hindsight, I think I might have gone too hard on the bike for the conditions that day, as you're in much better shape than I am.

You looked better than I did when you passed me on the run, so I think you're setting up a great performance for September.

Great race!

-C

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine 2005 Rss Feed