Premier Event Management
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 03m 26s
Overall Rank = 506/2536
Age Group = M 18-24
Age Group Rank = 26/73
Pre-race routine:

First off, I went into this race knowing that IMKY was less than a month ago, and I still did not have that "pop" back like I want. Either way, the goal was to get out there and have fun and enjoy the day. This was not really about "racing" since I did not feel like I had it in me, so mainly it was a "play it by ear and see how it goes" day.

I knew it would be scattered T-storms, but did not expect rain/drizzle 90% of the time. Turns out, the rain was kidna nice, as it did not slow me down on the bike (too-much) and felt awesome on the run.
Event warmup:

Nothing much, mostly walking to transition and swim start. Lots of waiting around, but I never felt like I was bored. Found some friends to chat with.

TLDR: Good race, surprisingly strong performance despite being rainy and coming off an Ironman a month prior.
Swim
  • 27m 9s
  • 1960 meters
  • 01m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started in the back, figuring I would not be going too fast. Almost immediately the goggle filled with water, so I was blind out of one eye. Did not feel like changing it. Wetsuit felt a bit tight, so it was a little harder to breathe. I tried not to panic, but adjusted my effort and went with the flow. Little contact except for the first 150m and the last 400m, where I was running into the stragglers from the previous waves.
What would you do differently?:

- Fix the goggles
- Maybe get a new wetsuit? I think I have outgrown this one.
- Learn to relax more when swimming. But then again, masters classes will fix that.
- Be aggressive! Once again, masters.....
Transition 1
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

Wtf? HR was super high running out of the water, higher than normal, felt awful. Wetsuit stripper sucked, I could have gotten it off faster myself. Long run to my bike pissed me off, and fumbling with my stuff in the rain with cold hands did not help.

My transitions normally rock, but this blows.

- I need to work on keeping a level HR in transitioning from swim to run. Mine spikes too high for comfort. Once again, should get fixed with masters.
Bike
  • 2h 41m 9s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Little to report on the bike. Felt like I pushed, but kept it in check. The wet roads made me a bit cautious on descents, but I was still going pretty fast. Back pains aggravated me, but it was not too bad. Very crowded course.

- TITS to get rid of back pains.
Transition 2
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Came in hot, but under control. Took my time but was efficient with my stuff. I was going great till I decided to kill it by waiting in line for a toilet in T2. If I had known I would have been waiting 1.5 minutes, I would have peed on the bike, or ran down course to find a good place. Poor choice led to a crappy T2 time.

Better piss conditions.
Run
  • 1h 48m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out hot, 7:3x pace I think, but quickly kept it in check. I felt good, surprisingly, and the rain was keeping me cool. My saving grace for the day was running into Matt at mile 1. Had no clue who he was, but we ran the entire 13 miles together. I need to find a pacer from now on, because having someone to keep you in check and to chat with helps tremendously. I would not have had a time like this without him, so thank you.

The run was mostly boring, aside from talking with my running partner. 3 gels, coke towards the end. At mile 10 is where I finally started to hurt. Every time I passed the all3sports tent, it was such a boost from the Endurance Concepts people, those guys are great! Having the support through downtown helped out a lot and gave everyone such a rush to run through. Lots of good people cheering us on.

Thinking back on it, not a thing. My effort was good throughout, and I was never "tired" or "hurting" until the last 5k, which I would say is pretty good. Could I have run faster? Perhaps, but I am still pleased.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza, beer......

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IM a month before. Though I am not sure if the residuals of IMKY were mental or physical. Yes, I did not have that pop back, but also I sandbagged myself by treating the event like "not a real race". I could have pushed a little more on each element, but I dont know how my body would have responded. I asked myself to give what it could (within reason) and it delivered, within reason.

I will say that I am SUPER DISAPPOINTED by a 5:03:xx. Oh come on, 3 minutes before being sub 5?? Ugh, I want those 3 minutes back that I wasted in transition and walking through a few aid stations.....

This is on the schedule for next year as an A race. Lets see what PRs I can set in 2011.

Event comments:

Eah, this event needs to work on organization a bit more. But I cant complain, they worked with what they had. I hear a lot of people complaining that Augusta is a horrible host city, which I disagree. It is a good snapshot of Georgia. Historic houses, nice downtown. Yes there were impoverished areas that we went through, but you're in the south, what else would you expect?

Last updated: 2009-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:09 | 1960 meters | 01m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/73
Overall: 0/2536
Performance: Good
Suit: BlueSeventy Synergy
Course: Point-to-point, downriver. FAST
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:24
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:41:09 | 56 miles | 20.85 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:48:53 | 13.1 miles | 08m 19s  min/mile
Course: 2x loop through downtown
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 1:35 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2010-09-27 7:18 PM
in reply to: #3119870

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Very nice time after Louisville and way to stay tough!
2010-09-27 10:41 PM
in reply to: #3119870

User image

Extreme Veteran
Newnan, Georgia
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Great job dude!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed