General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HPF Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 09m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

I packed the car the night before and got a bagel and a sausage/egg wrap at Timmy Ho's on the way. It's an hour drive so I have plenty of time to digest.

Another BTer and I picked up our packets and rode the course the day before.
Event warmup:

I wasn't warm until I ran into David Tri's who was nice enough to provide a tasty morning shot of Bullet Whiskey. Luckily my wetsuit covered the infamous 'whiskey nipples' that always follow the amber liquid...but really it was damn cold. We could of all been employees in a glass cutting factory.

I stretched a bit. Pulled my wetsuit up, got in the water and re-adjusted. They really don't make them in the 'short fat kid' size.
Swim
  • 17m 15s
  • 1000 meters
  • 01m 44s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first race in my wetsuit. Amazing. Kick? Do I need to kick? I felt like a seal, all sleek and smooth and one with the water. I was a daughter of Poseidon for this race. Which is good because my shoulder still hurts a bit from the crash 6 weeks ago and I really haven't been swimming at all.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I ditched my stuff, made a comment about feeling like a stuffed sausage- which made some spectators LOL, and grabbed my bike.
Bike
  • 1h 33m 42s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 15.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pleased with what I was able to accomplish. I got up to speed fast and kept it up. The wind was very hard to fight- the rd that Margo and I road the day before at 22 was a push at 18mph race day. The second lap was worse with the wind.

I had an epic flaw on the second lap right before the first uphill. So there I was in aero speeding down the first hill. I had just gotten to the point where I could start pedaling again when WHAM! A bee flew into my head, getting trapped between my ear and bike helmet strap. I went to flick it out and caught my glasses instead. So I expected a CRUNCH and there goes my $30.00 glasses. No crunch. No pedal either. I look down and my glasses have wedged themselves between my pedal and the front ring. Now anyone who knows me knows that I can't pedal and drink...I can barely reach down for my water bottle without falling over. So reaching down trying to grab my glasses before the hill that I normally go 8mph up is a challenge. Needless to say I got my glasses back on my face and loosing all my momentum that was 4mph up that hill. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get lighter and stronger. I hadn't really biked since the end of Aug and the Pelotonia 104 miler so I know I lost quite a bit of fitness during that time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Meah. Due to the size of my bike I can't leave my shoes clipped- they would interfere with the rolling of the tires! Maybe some day I will figure out something different but for now, I stop, unclip, dismount and run to my rack.

Not get that final sip of water- duah there is a water stop right outside of T2.
Run
  • 1h 14m 8s
  • 6.55 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the first time I have run with my watch and keeping track of my miles. I was keeping it to 10 min mile pace and walking the water stops. That's how I trained for the 1/2 merry and since that race is only 3 weeks away I wanted to stick to the plan. Unfortunately HFP didn't mark each mile so I had a bit of trouble pacing. I did have a klingon who ran with me for 1/2 of the course. Not so bad, made me LOL and we chatted a bit. Yeah, I chatted it up during a race. What else was I suppose to do without my ipod?

Maybe not talk? Meah.
Post race
Warm down:

I cry after every race. The big fat tears just kinda fall. It's a relief to finish. Its a joy to be able to do what I am doing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I should of trained more but life got in the way.

Event comments:

This is a great race and perfect season closer.

Last updated: 2010-05-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:15 | 1000 meters | 01m 44s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleveless xterra
Course: One lap
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:18
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:33:42 | 24.5 miles | 15.69 mile/hr
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Nascar- all left turns. Lots of chip and seal with some smooth tar.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:14:08 | 06.55 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Course: Out and back. Some grass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 6:54 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
Subject: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Olympic

2010-09-27 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3120552

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: RE: Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Olympic
I have heard of "whiskey other body parts" but not whiskey nipples. I have learned so much this day.
2010-09-28 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Great Race Kate! I think we truly embodied the essence of Triathlon with our shots of Whiskey and our crass comments pre-race. Wouldn't have had it any other way!
2010-09-29 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
"I wasn't warm until I ran into David Tri's who was nice enough to provide a tasty morning shot of Bullet Whiskey. Luckily my wetsuit covered the infamous 'whiskey nipples' that always follow the amber liquid...but really it was damn cold. We could of all been employees in a glass cutting factory."

Ha! That's funny. Whiskey nipples, I'll have to remember that. It's generally the Whisky that makes me feel frisky-it you know what I mean.

Anyway, great race, I'm glad I was able to get your nipples exicited. Why didn't you mention that you got first place? 
2010-09-29 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3124114

Lancaster
David tri's - 2010-09-29 1:25 PM  Why didn't you mention that you got first place? 

No kidding.  Rock that hardware girl.  Congrats on a great race and I feel you about life getting in the way.  My oldest started kindergarten and soccer so I haven't done much of anything in the last month or so.
2010-10-17 10:47 PM
in reply to: #3124988

User image

Delaware, OH
ClydeNewb - 2010-09-29 8:52 PM
David tri's - 2010-09-29 1:25 PM  Why didn't you mention that you got first place? 

No kidding.  Rock that hardware girl.  Congrats on a great race and I feel you about life getting in the way.  My oldest started kindergarten and soccer so I haven't done much of anything in the last month or so.

Oh yeah!  This was my FIRST HARDWARE EVER!  Wohoo!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota Challenge at Deer Creek - Olympic Rss Feed