General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Vegas Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
Mountain Man Events
104F / 40C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 50m 37s
Overall Rank = 72/108
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/11
Pre-race routine:

Drove up on Saturday, picked up the race pack and got a small pasta for a bite to eat. Got into bed early, about 9pm, staired at the ceiling until my 4am wake-up call.
Event warmup:

Not much, got there early, hit the porta potties a few times, wiggled into my wet suit and headed for the start.
Swim
  • 40m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

First swim in the wetsuit, so I had to adjust to the chest compression for the first few hundred yards. Once I determined I could breath, I relaxed and got into a rhythm. Overall, I was pretty satisfied with my swim effort.
What would you do differently?:

Buy a large wetsuit, I think the Medium Long is just to constricting on my chest. I'm 72", 170lb and it felt too tight.
Transition 1
  • 06m 4s
Comments:

Way slow, my first wetsuit transition and my first triathlon in 10 years. The funnel for the Olympic athletes came through the half-iron distance folks so I had to cut into a steady stream of athletes just to get out of the transition. This may be normal, but I was surprised. I put socks on, dried my feet, had to put on my bike jersey, load my Cytomax into it.

Definitely run from the exit of the water up to my bike and be more aggresive getting in front of the other competitors coming up the shoot.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I could run 44mph down the hills, but just couldn't maintain any pace going up. I felt good, but could tell my legs were getting crushed and my run was going to suffer.

I am buying a climbing cassette for my rear tire, being able to maintain a high cadence while climbing should help save my quads.
Transition 2
  • 04m 11s
Comments:

I almost fell unclipping at the dismount, didn't even think of doing it earlier. I had brand new (first time used) race shoes which have no grip at all. My training shoes were really mountain biking shoes and I could easily walk in them.

Uncip early, unsnap my helmet and jog down to my transition spot.
Run
  • 2h 39m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

My quads were trashed from the bike. I cramped in the first mile 3 or 4 times requiring me to stop sit and stretch. I eventually got enough salt back in me (Cytomax and water) that my quads released. By then the damage was done, so I began the run down hill and jog the flats, walk the uphills routine. It felt like the Bataan Death march, except instead of freezing to death I was melting in the scorching desert sun.

Not neglect the bike in training. I'm a runner and not real comfortable on the bike. For my next race, I will do my due diligence on the bike and come in prepared.
Post race
Warm down:

Stumble around until I found the ice truck, sat on the ice for a few minutes. Jumped in Bro's van and tried to get back to the hotel before late checkout was over to avoid a half day charge. Puked in the Mad Greeks parking lot and had a Gyro!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Failure to respect the bike leg!!!! I'm a natural swimmer and even with the uncomfortable newness of the wetsuit I had not problems there. Frankly, the lack of a climbing gear on my bike and me not putting anywhere near the necessary miles on it caused me to bonk in the run. I'm a 1:30:00 min Half runner and a 3:20:00 marathoner, so I know I can do better and will!

Event comments:

Army ROTC volunteered at the drink stations and did an EXCELLENT job!! Thank you!!
I didn't see any post race activities, but I didn't hang out to long. Drink stations were well stocked with water and gatorade, as I train with Cytomax I only took water and carried my Cytomax with me.
The wed description "Las Vegas's flatest bike course" should come with a topo map for those of us unfamiliar with Lake Mead, the hills were a shocker (now I'm whining). I wish for the entry fees ($200.00 for the Half) we could have at least got a tech t or one with logo's on the back and front. Seemed like there wasn't much sponsorship, my only reference is the LV RnR Marathon and several other running events where sponsorship is huge.

Last updated: 2010-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:45 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/11
Overall: 44/108
Performance: Average
Suit: full body Xterra
Course: single loop, pretty easy.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:04
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:20:20 | 56 miles | 16.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 72/108
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: VERY Hilly, they boast the flatest course in Las Vegas that's relative. My Garmin indicated I climbe 3,900 ft and descended the same. I don't have a climbing gear on my TT bike (it was used for TT racing) so I was crushing my quads going up the hills in my granny gear. I dropped the chain on one downshift. GRrr.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:11
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:39:19 | 13.1 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/11
Overall: 72/108
Performance: Bad
Course: Umm, straight uphill for say 6 miles! Then swings across with some almost level and uphill work. The final 5 miles is basically down hill, but by then your legs are crushed. Did I mention, for those of us unable to get under 3hours on our bike the temp was a cool 102!
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %7
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-09-27 8:52 PM

User image

Ridgecrest, California
Subject: Las Vegas Triathlon - Half Iron Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Vegas Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed