General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ING New York City Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-29 2:45 PM
in reply to: #3184138

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: ING New York City Marathon : Official Thread
boxer - 2010-10-29 3:29 PM I agree with you. 58 degrees hi temp with sunny skies!!!! Can't ask for more!!!

Ok, here's my realistic goal for this race:
Run for 26.2 miles. Maybe a few steps walking through aid stations but no more walking after that.
And obviously have a blast and enjoy the whole experience as much as I can!!!
Time, what ever I can do that day.
I'll be at the expo Saturday, probably picking up stuff that I don't need  
Arriving to La Guardia Friday afternoon. I can't hardly wait!!!
I have pretty scary dreams thinking of mile 20 and beyond............. 
I think I'll bring my iPod with some lifting songs to pick me up at this point.
Any body else taking iPods on race day????? I know they say "Highly discouraged" and I won't be using it during the start or first stages of the race, but at the end I think it becomes a necessity!! What do you all think?????

bscharff - 2010-10-29 12:05 PM not much chatter on here...   hope everyone is healthy and looking forward to next weekend...  just checking the weather, and as of now it looks like it should be pretty decent...

I'll have IPod in hand on race day - I doubt I will use the whole race as I want to enjoy the crowds but I expect miles 20-26 even the crowds wont carry me so music usually does the trick for me. Temp/ weather sounds great! Getting excited, been watching You Tube videos of the course. I miss being in NY this year ahead of time, seeing all the signs in the subway and stuff. Get into NYC on the 4th! See you all there!

2010-10-29 3:08 PM
in reply to: #3184223

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Great! Same plan here, I'll need all the help in the world on those last 6-8 miles, and a great song also does it for me! And I don't want to hear my steps slowing down.......
Michelle, are you going to the expo on Fri or Sat? 

mburkhart - 2010-10-29 3:45 PM
boxer - 2010-10-29 3:29 PM I agree with you. 58 degrees hi temp with sunny skies!!!! Can't ask for more!!!

Run for 26.2 miles. Maybe a few steps walking through aid stations but no more walking after that.
Any body else taking iPods on race day????? I know they say "Highly discouraged" and I won't be using it during the start or first stages of the race, but at the end I think it becomes a necessity!! What do you all think?????

bscharff - 2010-10-29 12:05 PM not much chatter on here...   hope everyone is healthy and looking forward to next weekend...  just checking the weather, and as of now it looks like it should be pretty decent...

I'll have IPod in hand on race day - I doubt I will use the whole race as I want to enjoy the crowds but I expect miles 20-26 even the crowds wont carry me so music usually does the trick for me. Temp/ weather sounds great! Getting excited, been watching You Tube videos of the course. I miss being in NY this year ahead of time, seeing all the signs in the subway and stuff. Get into NYC on the 4th! See you all there!

2010-10-29 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3130468

User image

Veteran
I took my Ipod last year..used in the Bronx for literally 2 songs & then took it off & never put it back on..Believe me when I tell you, you will not need it.  The crowd support & music on the streets literally lift you up.  The people cheering you on will not let you stop..they carry you.  I say bring it..just in case but my bet is that you won't need it!!

Have fun!!  WOO HOOO

Patti
2010-10-29 9:38 PM
in reply to: #3185712

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Awesome! Thanks Patti, sounds like a lot of electricity! Of course we are talking about New York!!!!
What's your next event/race?

3leftys - 2010-10-29 10:34 PM I took my Ipod last year..used in the Bronx for literally 2 songs & then took it off & never put it back on..Believe me when I tell you, you will not need it.  The crowd support & music on the streets literally lift you up.  The people cheering you on will not let you stop..they carry you.  I say bring it..just in case but my bet is that you won't need it!!

Have fun!!  WOO HOOO

Patti
2010-10-29 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Rock and Roll Las Vegas on Dec 5th ( half-mary)!!  Hope to PR so I can get an automatic entry into the NYC marathon next year!!  I really want to run it again!

The excitement is building here in New York..I can feel it and now I wish I was going to be a part of it..I may go in & spectate..a friend of mine is running. 
2010-10-29 9:51 PM
in reply to: #3185740

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
R & R Las Vegas sounds like a lot of fun!!! I did R & R Virginia Beach half mary last year, I would love to do it again. I hope you fly in Vegas and get your entry for NYC next year. Most important, I hope you have a great time!
Shooting for IMFL next year, so I will miss NY. I love that city and I have dreamed for years running the marathon. I can hardly wait!!!

3leftys - 2010-10-29 10:45 PM Rock and Roll Las Vegas on Dec 5th ( half-mary)!!  Hope to PR so I can get an automatic entry into the NYC marathon next year!!  I really want to run it again!

The excitement is building here in New York..I can feel it and now I wish I was going to be a part of it..I may go in & spectate..a friend of mine is running. 

2010-10-30 10:20 AM
in reply to: #3185746

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
I hope you won't need an ipod, the end of the race (past mile 16) are just electric. 

Just break the race up in 10/10/10 (10 miles, 10 miles, 10K). 
2010-10-30 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3186350

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Thanks A LOT  for that great tip. 10/10/10 sounds great, and knowing that I wont need an iPod is very encouraging. I am just a bit intimidated by the distance, but I think I'll be ok.  I've been training hard and that beats the hell out of any iPod and if you add the energy of thousands of souls pushing you, it has to be possible.
I will RUN this race. I don't know at what pace, but I will RUN it!
Thanks
Jaime

Lilac J - 2010-10-30 11:20 AM I hope you won't need an ipod, the end of the race (past mile 16) are just electric. 

Just break the race up in 10/10/10 (10 miles, 10 miles, 10K). 
2010-11-03 11:16 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Yeah, totally no need for an iPod. There are 2 points on the course that are quiet - the initial bridge, but everyone's excited anyway. And the 59th St bridge - which takes on an eerie silence which I find welcoming as you anticipate the crowds on 1st Ave. You'll have so much sensory overload the entire course - bands, people cheering, the smell of fresh donuts, people with crazy signs, you name it. You really gotta experience it all. I would think the iPod distracts from that.

I'm just totally undertrained and now battling my Achilles, so gonna enjoy this one. Will walk the water stops, and with luck, will find my friends in the later miles and grab a beer.
2010-11-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3184223

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA

Planning on hitting the expo Friday morning! How about you? 
2010-11-03 1:18 PM
in reply to: #3193157

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Flying to LGA on Friday. So I was thinking Friday afternoon or Sat morning.
Flying to China Monday morning, ouuccccccch! Sealed

mburkhart - 2010-11-03 1:11 PM

Planning on hitting the expo Friday morning! How about you? 

2010-11-06 7:24 AM

User image

Regular
Bellport NY
Good luck to all who are running this year!! My spot comes up next year see you on the asphalt jungle!!!!!!!!

Jim
(I WILL NOT STOP TRI-ING)
2010-11-07 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3198181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
How'd everyone do?  I came in at 3:36:xx, about 8 min past goal time.  Sooo wanted to break 3:30, but was not meant to be.  I started out a bit fast and paid for it dearly by mile 21.  Hip flexors and glutes were killer, but otherwise cardio and nutrition were right on target.

Oh well, such is the beast of the marathon!
2010-11-08 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3199504

User image

Regular
Saint Johns, FL
Awesome work, Lilac!Wish I was just sore today. Right hip started bothering me at mile 17, by 20 I was mixing in walking, and by 22 I was just walking to finish. At 25.5 miles I couldn't bear any weight, and the medics got me. Let me finish on crutches an hour and a half later. Still not able to bear weight today... Riding to my sisters hospital in DC to get x-Ray/MRI.Please keep fingers crossed.On a bright note, my sister was in charge of getting me into IM FL for next year and I got a spot... Thank God it's a year away.EWBoxer, how'd it go?
2010-11-08 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3200116

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Man, Ed, I am so sorry. That had to be a pretty tough experience...... I hope you get better soon. I keep my fingers crossed for you.  You owe yourself another chance bro, sometime in the future, YOU HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN!!!!! Good luck, and please stay in touch.

E-Dub - 2010-11-08 8:26 AM Awesome work, Lilac!Wish I was just sore today. Right hip started bothering me at mile 17, by 20 I was mixing in walking, and by 22 I was just walking to finish. At 25.5 miles I couldn't bear any weight, and the medics got me. Let me finish on crutches an hour and a half later. Still not able to bear weight today... Riding to my sisters hospital in DC to get x-Ray/MRI.Please keep fingers crossed.On a bright note, my sister was in charge of getting me into IM FL for next year and I got a spot... Thank God it's a year away.EWBoxer, how'd it go?
2010-11-08 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3200116

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Man, Ed, I am so sorry. That had to be a pretty tough experience...... I hope you get better soon. I keep my fingers crossed for you.  You owe yourself another chance bro, sometime in the future, YOU HAVE TO DO IT AGAIN!!!!! Good luck, and please stay in touch.

E-Dub - 2010-11-08 8:26 AM Awesome work, Lilac!Wish I was just sore today. Right hip started bothering me at mile 17, by 20 I was mixing in walking, and by 22 I was just walking to finish. At 25.5 miles I couldn't bear any weight, and the medics got me. Let me finish on crutches an hour and a half later. Still not able to bear weight today... Riding to my sisters hospital in DC to get x-Ray/MRI.Please keep fingers crossed.On a bright note, my sister was in charge of getting me into IM FL for next year and I got a spot... Thank God it's a year away.EWBoxer, how'd it go?

2010-11-08 7:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
What can I say, I am still overwhelmed!! Even in pain I was smiling ALL DAY LONG!! Evidence of what an incredible event this is and proof of how much I love this city!! Both start and finish were HIGLY emotional. The start on the Verrazano bridge is absolutely CRAZY. You combine all roller coaster together and I won't get the rush of running with 40+,000 people on a beautiful day from Staten Island to Brooklyn!

I achieved my goal which was to RUN (not walk) the entire 26.2 miles.Towards the end I had a bit of a problem on my left "landing gear" but nothing that the crowds couldn't heal. I just had to slow down, but still running!!!Strong finish at the end for a very emotional crossing of the finish line. I dreamed this moment for along, long time..........

Thanks to MANY people that helped achieve my dream, like the Oscars, theres's to many and would be afraid of not mentioning one of the many names, but most important, the support of my family.It was a great day!Oh by the way, my time was 04:38:21 and my pace 10:36 min/mile
2010-11-08 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3200146

User image

New user
NYC
boxer - 2010-11-08 7:50 AM What can I say, I am still overwhelmed!! Even in pain I was smiling ALL DAY LONG!! Evidence of what an incredible event this is and proof of how much I love this city!! Both start and finish were HIGLY emotional. The start on the Verrazano bridge is absolutely CRAZY. You combine all roller coaster together and I won't get the rush of running with 40+,000 people on a beautiful day from Staten Island to Brooklyn!

I achieved my goal which was to RUN (not walk) the entire 26.2 miles.Towards the end I had a bit of a problem on my left "landing gear" but nothing that the crowds couldn't heal. I just had to slow down, but still running!!!Strong finish at the end for a very emotional crossing of the finish line. I dreamed this moment for along, long time..........

Thanks to MANY people that helped achieve my dream, like the Oscars, theres's to many and would be afraid of not mentioning one of the many names, but most important, the support of my family.It was a great day!Oh by the way, my time was 04:38:21 and my pace 10:36 min/mile

Congrats Boxer, great to hear the race was such a good experience for you!  I plan on being in your shoes in two years time. 
2010-11-08 3:41 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Sorry to hear of the lows, but good that we had some highs too.

Boxer - I was just a few minutes ahead of you.

I knew I was undertrained for the full distance, and sure enough. 10mile mark and I started to feel the fatigue. So, at that point, just decided to bring it on home to the finish. I expected to take walk-breaks in the second half and i did. (Which somehow seem to get longer and longer as the race goes on.) But with my injuries this past year and deferring from last year's race, I was more than happy with what I did. I was out to enjoy it and I did.

NOw, just have to figure out what I want to do next year...no plans yet.

2010-11-08 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Congratualtions!!  I went in to spectate & cheer on some friends .  Even watching this race is just amazing!!

Have a good recovery and Congrats again!!

Just put my name in the lottery for 2011!!  Once was not enough for me!

Patti
2010-11-09 3:43 AM
in reply to: #3200630

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot LS! You are gonna LOVE IT!!!!

Liquidsilver - 2010-11-08 11:55 AM
boxer - 2010-11-08 7:50 AM What can I say, I am still overwhelmed!! Even in pain I was smiling ALL DAY LONG!! Evidence of what an incredible event this is and proof of how much I love this city!! Both start and finish were HIGLY emotional. The start on the Verrazano bridge is absolutely CRAZY. You combine all roller coaster together and I won't get the rush of running with 40+,000 people on a beautiful day from Staten Island to Brooklyn!

Congrats Boxer, great to hear the race was such a good experience for you!  I plan on being in your shoes in two years time. 

2010-11-09 3:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Congrats Wally and thanks Patty, good luck next year!!!
I learned as I crossed the finish line in NY, that I got registered for IMFL 2011!!! So that's the big plan for next year!!! 
2010-11-09 3:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
But I'll be back in NY.
Can't wait............. 
2010-11-09 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
fun race...  that was my first nyc marathon...  and that is quite the spectacle...  I hope everyone is feeling okay and healing up nicely...  my goal was to keep it comfortable, keep the hr in check and keep a constant pace throughout...  managed to stick to the plan pretty well - 3:16:35... first half = 1:38:17...  second half = 1:38:18...  that darn one second...   

congrats to everyone out there that ran...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ING New York City Marathon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2