United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m 5s
Overall Rank = 264/1486
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 37/116
Pre-race routine:

Usual breakfast of coffee and cereal. Mixed my drinks (used HEED and water + endurolytes). My Mom drove me up to the start, which is about a 30 minute drive from Corning. We knew the back way to get from the Interstate to exactly where the start line is, and we avoided a huge line of traffic heading through downtown Bath. Its good to have grown up in this area...
Event warmup:

I did a short run - 1/3 of a mile or so, nothing big.
Run
  • 3h 28m 5s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal for the race was 3:40. I figured that since I was just over 4 hours in my one previous marathon, shooting for this time would be aggressive. However, I know from my training runs that it was do-able, and that I had a chance at coming in around 3:30 (I had done one of my 20 milers in 2:40 or 8min flat pace.)

The strategy I decided upon was to stick with the 3:30 pace group for as long as I could and see what happens. Then, if I had the legs after mile 20, see if I could pick it up a bit for a strong finish. I also decided to carry most of my own fluids. I had an around-the-waist Nathan bottle holder thingy and a hand-held bottle. One with HEED and one with water + Endurolytes. I asked my Mom and Dad to take the kids up to the half way point and give me some replacement bottles - I had my own support crew!

The weather was chilly - in the 40s - but warmer than the weatherman had predicted (38). There was cloud cover but no showers were around, and it seemed like clouds were breaking up just as the race began. I didn't even take my sunglasses with me because I didn't think I would need them. Kind of regret not having them but it was great to see all the beautiful fall foliage without the tint of sunglasses, so no regrets.

I wore my beloved 2009 Marine Corps Marathon turtleneck, long-sleeved running shirt thinking that I would be pretty cold if I just started out with my Under Armour shirt. Well, after about a mile and a half I was pretty toasty and I noticed that my HR really hadn't settled in - it was hovering around the high 160s. This made me nervous, so I decided to take the long sleeve shirt off right away to help with cooling. After I did I was quite comfortable, as there was little wind. I couldn't just toss aside that shirt, however, so I just wrapped it around my waist and would hand it off to my 'support crew' at the half-way point.

I felt unsettled with my pace and HR until just after mile six, after cresting the first of two small hills. There was a long downhill after that and I started getting into a nice groove at that point, with my HR back in the high 150s. This was still not what I had experienced in training - I was able to keep mid- to low-150s at 8min/mi pace on a number of occasions, at higher temps to boot. I guess I can just chalk that up to race day adrenaline.

Coming into mile 9 and the first 1/3 split point, there was a big crowd in Savona (one of 3 very, very small towns the race route goes through). I looked for my friend John (who had BQ'ed at this race last year and actually ran Boston this spring) but I didn't see him. The crowds were great and gave me a nice mental boost.

As I approached the half-way mark I was feeling very good. Not too tired, in a good rythm, and also - still with the 3:30 pace group and right on pace (1:45). I caught my support crew at the location we had agreed to the night before (so glad we scoped it out), and seeing my girls and Mom & Dad was awesome. I didn't slow down at all though. I just dumped my stuff on the ground and my daughters gave me my new water bottles, and I was off. I talked to them beforehand about the fact that they wouldn't see me for long and that I would be in a hurry :-)

Just after that was the second decent-sized hill, and I didn't have much of a problem with it. Coming down the other side I started to feel some soreness in my quads, however. From miles 14-20 that soreness increased, but I was still able to stick with the 3:30 group. The pacer was a great guy and he did a lot of encouraging and coaching - he didn't just hold the pace group sign.

At mile 20 I began thinking about whether I could go ahead of the group and if so, when would I do it. I felt sore, but the feeling was just like the run portion of an olympic tri. In the last several I've done I have had the energy for a final burst despite feeling sore and fatigued. So, I figured I would try to go ahead at around mile 21. If I could stay in the 7:45 range for the last several miles that would bring me in about 3:28 or so, which I thought would be a great result (under 8min/mi avg).

After going down a short but steep bit of road into a park (that hurt SO bad!), I started to pick it up as best I could. I felt OK, although my HR was climbing (into the high 160s, touching 170). I started to pass a number of people which also gave me a mental boost. By this time I had already handed off the second set of empty water bottles to my 'support crew' (at mile 19.5), so I was dependent on the race course for fluids at that point. I grabbed water and gatoraide at each of the next 3 stations.

Through miles 22-25 I continued to pass a bunch of people, including one guy who had been with the 3:30 pace group most of the race. I said hi and continued on. Once I passed mile 25 I began to pick it up some more and again was able to do so.

As I came around the final turn by the Corning Museum of Glass, I went into sprint mode. I asked my wife to be near the start of the final bridge before the finish line with my girls, and then let them run with me across the finish line. They were excited to see me and started running along as best they could. I was sprinting as hard as I could - at roughly a 7min flat/mi pace at that point, so my youngest wasn't able to keep up. My oldest was, but they separated the bridge so that runners were on the left and spectators on the right. She ran on the right and was paralleling me the whole way. It was about 1/2 way through the bridge that I finally heard (but didn't see) my friend John cheering me on.

By the time I crossed the finish line, I was huffing and puffing pretty badly, but I was happy knowing that I had shaved about 33 minutes off my personal best. It felt great!

What would you do differently?:

This race could not have gone better. Should I have aimed higher and tried to BQ at 3:20? I think if I had tried it I would have flamed out. I need to do my 'pace' runs in training at BQ pace to be ready for that. I plan to be back next year and try to BQ then.
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished I met my family (wife, kids, Mom & Dad) and my friend John and his wife and just chatted for about 10 min. Then, when I tried to move again I immediately felt my quads threatening to cramp. So I started to kind of walk around very gingerly and get some post-race food. My wife and kids were nice enough to stick around for 15 min or so despite the fact that my neice's birthday party had already started and they need to head over there.

They left for the party and my Dad stuck around to make sure I found my car (which I hadn't parked but had to drive to get back to their house). Its a good thing he did because I was a mess, couldn't walk very fast at all and would not have been able to find the car myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Again - I wouldn't change a thing. I went from 4:01:30 in Marathon #1 to 3:28:05 in this one, Marathon #2. No complaints or woulda/coulda/shoulda-s :-)

Event comments:

This was a very well-run race. Lots and lots of drink stations, GU stations, port-a-potties, etc. Everything you need, including large crowds cheering you on at several points in the race.

The course and scenery are just beautiful (and I'm not just saying that because I grew up in the area - check it out for yourself!). Plus, its the best time of year to hold this race as the weather (when the rain holds off - and luckily it did this year) is usually just perfect for running.

Last updated: 2010-04-05 12:00 AM
Running
03:28:05 | 26.2 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/116
Overall: 264/1486
Performance: Good
First 13.1 ~ 1:45 Second 13.1 ~ 1:43 First 1/3 split: 1:11:52 444/1486 Second 1/3 split: 1:12:02 356/1486 Third 1/3 split: 1:04:10 155/1486 Miles: 7:55 7:58 7:55 7:51 8:00 8:04 7:49 7:55 8:02 8:05 8:04 8:06 8:05 7:51 8:03 7:54 7:57 7:51 7:54 8:07 7:56 7:51 7:40 7:45 7:55 7:24 Last .2 - 7:00
Course: Point-to-Point from Bath, NY to Corning, NY. Net elevation loss of 188ft. Mostly flat and slightly downhill - speedy course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-04 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Subject: Wineglass Marathon

2010-10-04 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3131379

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Wineglass Marathon

Congrats on the PR!  Looks like a well executed plan.

2010-10-04 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3131379

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
Subject: RE: Wineglass Marathon

Great job Jeff! We'll see each other up there next year. I'll be back and I hope to duplicate your great effort.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wineglass Marathon Rss Feed