www.richmondmultispoirts.com
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 12m 13s
Overall Rank = 60/554
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/47
Pre-race routine:

Packed transition bag night before. Woke up every couple hours overnight, mostly to go to the bathroom. No matter how much you think (or tell yourself) it's not an A race, they all feel like A races. Rolled out of bed at 5:22am, finally get to do a local race, so no real rush. Ate small bagel w/peanut butter and cliff bar (forgot to eat banana), but felt full. Drank a cup of coffee and stretched out a little, watched sports center. Put on race suit, packed bags and bike in car and took the short 10 minute drive to race site. Forgot all about packet pickup yesterday, so I had day of, slow but short line. Set up bike and transition, these are getting simpler, especially for a sprint.
Event warmup:

Ate a clifshot, then jogged about a mile on run course. Heading out I got a lift with somoeone shouting out GO BUCKS, he was on the bleachers already and had an OSU ballcap on, that was the perfect start me up cheer. I just kept telling myself today is about having fun, that was the day's goal. Got back from jog about 20 minutes until race time, put shoes back in transition, picked up goggles and headed to pool to see if I could sneak in for a lap. Pool was packed but room in the far lane, so I got in about 3 laps, just right, felt good and warmed up. Out of water, ate a gel, then got in line and waited about 10-15 minutes to start. Watched the local tri coach who wins every local race take off second in the swim, he passed the guy ahead of him, probaby someone set his time wrong or too aggressive.
Swim
  • 06m 28s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

GO! My race is on, felt pretty good starting out, got a couple of mouthfuls, but no sweating it. Really tried to go smooth and fast, but had no idea what my pace was. Picked up a little each lap and kicked harder than normal on last 50 meters. I crawled/layout getting out of the pool, thought I must look like a seal getting out of the water, totally bad form, but I didn't give a hoot. I pushed that last lap pretty good. Never swam a 50 meter indoor pool, probably was to my advantage since I do pushoffs rather than those fancy flipturns.
What would you do differently?:

Swim is my strength so it pretty much always goes good. Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Long run around athletic club from pool to T1, all on hard cement. My feet were asking for that to be over just before entering T1. I'm not sure how those barefoot runners do it! Got to bike, put on garmin and turned it on. Put on sunglasses and helmet. Put on shoes and struggled to take bike off rack. (6/47 AG / 63/554 Overal)

Turn on garmin and set on bike mode when setting up transition. Or better yet, attach to my bike with quick release strap. Do I really need my garmin on the bike, I never look at it until after the race, I just like the stats?! Practice unracking bike.

Bike
  • 37m 59s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

Jumped on bike, guy in front of me was struggling trying to get his clips in and I got stuck between him and the race fencing, he apologized, I told him no problem, I got some practice on my poor bike handling skills. I passed him them after the turn and was huffing hard. I told myself, this day is about having fun, so I just pushed forward and new the downhill was not far ahead. Then after about a mile I realized I didn't start my garmin or turn it to bike mode, so I played around doing that. About a mile or two out is a big downhill. When I practiced on the course last weekend it was windy and I was pretty scared going down it, so I was nervous about this part of the course. Luckily no wind today, I got out of aero and into drops so I could get to brakes easier. Also, just at the bottom of the hill is a 90 degree turn to add to the excitement! I got up over 33 mph, not the fastest for sure, got passed by a tribike. Then after another mile or two comes the long hill (for this sprint course). I was actually passing people, which is not like me on the bike, so I felt more confident going into the hill. Passed a few more on the hill and got passed again. I kept saying save the legs for the run, but I also can't handle hills that well. Got up the hill, was going slow but steady to start, then felt good towards top, so that was another confidence booster, so I sped up to try and close out the last few miles of the bike course. I was waiting on Justin, my fast neighbor to pass me anytime during the bike course, but he never did. I felt good about that too.

Need to work on cycling technique, still feels like top limiter. Ride the course more and ride more hills. Push harder up the hill.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Struggled to rack bike a little, took off helmet, took off bike shoes and slipped on runners. Took a sip of heed, picked up race belt and took off out of transition. (25/47 AG, 255/554 Overall)

Maybe go through bike racking and unracking motions before race. Skip the drink, they were handing out drinks as you leave transition.
Run
  • 23m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off feeling like I was carrying bricks! Just as I was getting out on course, I see Michael Harlow coming in to win the race, as expected. I barely got under 8 minutes on first mile, which was my "plan", but still wanted to best that. I was tracking on my plan then to pick it up to 7:30 for last two miles and get my average as close to 7:30 for the run as my best goal. I kept trying to pick up speed with leaving a some gas left. Checked my heartrate a couple times and was thrilled it was below 160 through first half. About 1.7 miles in I got passed by Justin my neighbor, it gave me a little extra boost, but I couldn't keep up with him. I passed a few and got passed a few times, but was feeling good to the end. Checked heart rate on last mile and was in low 160, again, nice and controlled, so I wasn't worried about that, so I just kept pushing and picking up speed until I got to hold about 7:07 pace for last mile. Crossed finish line feeling great!!

Need to do some bike/run bricks, definitely felt the fact that I haven't practiced this in last 3 months while I trained of my aquavelo. Push harder throughout. Create a more aggressive race plan?
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around talking to my neighbor and met some local Richmond Tri Club members. My neighbor picked up 3rd place in his AG. Found my wife and daughter and hung out. Went over to Richmond Tri club tent and had a brat, yummo. Then went for a couple slices of race supplied pizzas, those were good too. Checked results posted and was thrilled at my AG place, first time in top 10!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Practice (bricks especially) and bike leg as usual, but showed good improvement from all my recent biking for aquavelo. Lost a few seconds on transitions and should have pushed a little harder on run.

Event comments:

Great local race, will definitely do this one again.

http://www.fasttrackcoaching.net/timing/Results/2010-NAPIERS-TRIATH...

http://richmondsprinttri.racesonline.com/

Last updated: 2010-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:28 | 400 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/47
Overall: 28/554
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca RS1 Aero Race suit
Course: 4 laps in 50 meter pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:38
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:37:59 | 12.43 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/47
Overall: 101/554
Min HR: 138 Avg HR: 158 Max HR: 168
Wind: None
Course: One big downhill about a mile in, long uphill around mile 5-6? Flat with a few more rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:48 | 03.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/47
Overall: 80/554
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 155 Max HR: 171 Avg HR a little low since I didn't stop garmin until a few minutes after race.
Course: Out and back, with small block loop to turn back around. One small hill, pretty flat otherwise.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-10-11 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Subject: Napier Realtors Richmond Sprint

2010-10-11 10:57 PM
in reply to: #3146170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Subject: RE: Napier Realtors Richmond Sprint

great job Matt! definitely some fast splits on all three!

hope you had some fun with it as well!

2010-10-12 7:31 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Excellent job! I have found that I don't use the Garmin during races...I just have a multi-lap stop watch and count on the distances published in the race info. Works really well unless I forget to start it/hit the lap button which has happened at least twice for me.

Great run as well - especially considering your reduction in run training preparing for Chesapeake...what a good job!
2010-10-12 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Great job, Matt!  You went in with a great attitude (just have fun), but you still raced a very smart, controlled race, yet pushed the limits a bit.  Great pacing on all 3 disciplines.  Well done, my friend!
2010-10-12 3:20 PM

User image

NH
What a great race.  Your pacing looks spot on in each leg and the overall result is awesome.  Super race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Napier Realtors Richmond Sprint Rss Feed