Danskin
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 45s
Overall Rank = 2559/3457
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 362/416
Pre-race routine:

Was a little nervous in the morning, ate a bagel with peanut butter. Got to the event at 5:30, waited over an hour to get into the parking lot. Not a good start. Waited 45 minutes for a porta potty. Drank a lot of water, ate a gel about 15 minutes before race start.
Event warmup:

Sally Edwards warmed us up in the water.
Swim
  • 24m 22s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had some lasik surgery go ary in May and had not been able to start swimming again until a couple of weeks before, so I was very out of it. I had not done an open water swim for almost a year, and I paid for it here. Swam way out of the course, and had to get pulled back in. Didn't even get into my groove until the last 1/4 mile, and by then, it was too late. Never would catch up for the rest of the race.
What would you do differently?:

Practice in open water a little more! Also, bring my mirrored goggles. The blaring sun was blinding through my normal smoke colored ones.
Transition 1
  • 05m 18s
Comments:

Handled this OK. Went with my running shoes instead of cycling shoes because I didn't feel like I practiced running in the cleats enough. I took 3 minutes off this time from last year, so I'm satisfied. Chose not to run with my bike because I was a little stiff from a very crappy swim.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 45m 39s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a bit of a malfunction leaving T1 - my front dereailur popped the chain off. I decided to manually throw the chain back on the middle ring, and I think I recovered nicely. Ate a gel coming out of transition. Should have had another.

Bring another gel. Hopefully have access to the big ring for the flat portions :)
Transition 2
  • 02m 57s
Comments:

This is where things went wrong. If there was a water table exiting T2 and entering the run, I missed it completely. This hurt me later. At this point, I decided that I hated Danskin.

I now carry a little 4 ounce GU bottle filled with water to carry me over in case the water is not visible to me.
Run
  • 38m 37s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

A word to Danskin - when it is 90+ degrees by 9am with no shade ANYWHERE, don't make us wait until almost mile 2 for water. Were you TRYING to kill me? Because you came pretty darn close. Combination of dehydration, heat, bum ankle hurting, and inability to monitor my heart rate caused me to walk most of this.

Not do this race. Seriously. This run made me ill. It is a beautiful course, but the poor organization came to a head here and was jeopardizing my health. I will forever look carefully for the water table leaving T2 and not assume we'll get water at mile 1.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapsed and then had to go and ASK for my finish medal. WTF, Danskin? My husband found me and walked me around while I drank a bottle of water and had 2/3 of a bannana. Then things got bad. They were letting people into transition, so I thought I could get my bike and go. For what it is worth, it is very uncool to have a couple thousand girls packing up their transition and blocking the exit when people are still on the course. But Danskin allowed this. Sat in the sun for 45 minutes in a mob trying to get out. I sweated more waiting to get out of transition than I did during the race. My husband took my transition pack and shuttled back to the car. When I rode my bike there, it took another 20 minutes to get out of the lot, then the lovely volunteers gave us directions down roads that were not opened to through traffic, so we got lost. It was horrible.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pre-race health issues, not enough training, heat, lack of water on the course.

Event comments:

This review probably sounds negative, but let me assure you, I am not doing it justice. This event was terribly organized from packet pick-up to getting out of the lot after the race. I will not be doing it again. Luckily, I've done tris before and I was expecting a sub-par performance, so it didn't turn me off to the sport. I just hope that some of the other girls trying this for the first time didn't leave thinking "why in the hell would I want to do that again?".

Last updated: 2005-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:22 | 820 yards | 02m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/416
Overall: 3051/3457
Performance: Bad
Kept my HR below 160, which was my goal. I'm on a medication for an irregular heartrate and my goal for this race was to make sure I could finish it while keeping in zone. The queen of the HR training herself, Sally Edwards, saw me warming up on the side and talked with me awhile and helped get me up to 94 right before entering the water. It was very cool!
Suit: 2 piece tri suit
Course: 1/2 mile straight across the lake
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:18
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:39 | 12.43 miles | 16.34 mile/hr
Overall: 1933/3457
Performance: Good
Kept HR below 150.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course was nice, love the Wisconsin country highways. A nice change from fighting with the traffic. My only complaint is that it was a little deserted. I enjoy cycling past the homes where everyone comes out to the road to watch. It really inspires me.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:57
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:38:37 | 03.11 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Overall: 2506/3457
Performance: Bad
Heart rate monitor fell off during the run, which caused me to try to take it easy.
Course: Nice run around the lake. Too bad it was hotter than hell. Water lay out was horrible.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2005-07-28 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington Heights, IL
Subject: Danskin Chicagoland Triathlon

2005-07-28 11:26 AM
in reply to: #209793

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Danskin Chicagoland Triathlon
I was also disappointed in some of the organization/logistical arangements. the water thing was bad, but even worse for me was teh waiting to swim. But you got one-on-one with Sally Edwards! That's so cool!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Chicagoland Triathlon Rss Feed