General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm doing this all wrong aren't I? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-07-28 12:37 PM

Tucson
Subject: I'm doing this all wrong aren't I?
Greetings.
After probably two years of no exercise save for once in a while on a stationary bike, I opened my big yapper and agreed to do a spring triathlon with some folks at work. This was in Early June.

In June I started swimming as a way to get into shape to exercise. I probably swam 15 days in june, anywhere from 500 - 600 yards each time.

Starting July, I have gone nuts, and I think I might be doing more harm than good.

I have been swimming about 1000 a day, and usually throw in a bike ride on a stationary afterwards. I usually do the full 12 on the bike.

About every three days or so, I do the swim the bike, then jump on the treadmill as long as I can go. Monday I did all the swim/bike/run distance. Sure, it was in artificial "in the gym " conditions, but at least I feel I can actually complete the sprint.

My question: Am I overdoing this? I am constantly sore. I dont exactly feel bad, but I am very very sore, all the time. I have been getting faster in the swim, and the run and bike, but I am worried that I am going to put myself into traction.

Any suggestions from those in the know would be appreciated. I should add that aside from being sore, I have not felt this good physically since probably I was in high school ( I am now 39).

Thanks for any advice.

2005-07-28 12:47 PM
in reply to: #209937

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: I'm doing this all wrong aren't I?
Do you stretch before and after your workouts?  Do you warmup and cooldown, or just jump in, do the workout, then leave?  Are you working out every day, every other day, or otherwise take any days for recovery?
2005-07-28 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

Hey Edwin!  Welcome to BT!

If I'm reading your post right, you swim 5-6 days a week, swim/ bike 4-5 days a week, and swim/ bike/ run twice a week.  This program has worked for you for you because you were able to complete all three distances for your race.  So, you can't be doing it all wrong because you're able to do the distance.

There is another way that most of us follow here.  I'm not a coach of physiologist or anything; this is just what works for me and other.  I'll find a way to do 3 workouts in each discipline each week. I try to do 9 workouts in 6 days, which means I do two workouts a day somedays.

Rather than outline what I do, I would encourage you to look at the many training plans that are  available here for free.  Likewise, there are a lot of articles that can help you understand how to train better.  But, bottom line is this:  you're ready to complete your first triathlon.  Just keep training and getting stronger.

2005-07-28 1:02 PM
in reply to: #209953

Tucson
Joeino and hawkeye,
thanks for the comments and questions.
Lemme try to answer some of the questions frist.

I dont really stretch much before getting going. I try to start with the swim, and I sort of warm up a bit by farting around in the pool for a few minutes before getting going.

After I finish, I cant really say I stretch. I usually go sit in a hot tub for 5- 10 minutes.

As for how often I am exercising, I am trying to go almost every day and do something. Probably 4 times this month I wasnt able to go at all. last weekend I missed friday sat and sund, and I got freaked out that I didnt go, hence my full distance practice on Monday.

I definitely try to swim every day, because I really enjoy it.

My initial thought for going kind of crazy was taht i was concerned that I was in such horrible shape that I really needed to beat myself up a bit to get to "Step one" shape.

I am going to scour the pages here and see what I can find for guidance. I suppose what I really wanted to ask was if the nutty regimen I have adopted is going to hurt me in terms of overall conditioning ( although, come to think of it> i'm not sure why it would).

Thanks for the thoughts. I have until october 8 to keep training, then it is, as they say, off to the races.

EDIT EDIT

A quick question about recovery days: How often should one take them? every 4 or 5 days or so? as you might be able to tell, I'm really flying in the dark.

Edited by edwino 2005-07-28 1:04 PM
2005-07-28 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Although it's not completely clear from your post, I would guess from the details provided that you are going close to red-line for all of your workouts. I would suggest that you look at building an aerobic base so that you can continue with this triathlon lifestyle. To do this you should be doing the majority of your workouts at a pace that seems too slow or too easy to produce results. Although going fast in training has its place, you will reap much bigger benefits from going slow.

If you have a heart rate monitor, there are several different types of tests that you can do to set training zones and use these to plan and pace your workouts. By doing this you should be able to avoid feeling sore all of the time and also it should help you avoid both injury and illness.

Good luck,

Shane
2005-07-28 1:12 PM
in reply to: #209983

Tucson
gsmacleod,
Thanks for the advice. I am definitely pushing it almost every time I exercise. I will take your suggestion seriously, and slow down some. thanks.

2005-07-28 1:27 PM
in reply to: #209969

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

edwino - 2005-07-28 11:02 AM Joeino and hawkeye, thanks for the comments and questions. Lemme try to answer some of the questions frist. I dont really stretch much before getting going. I try to start with the swim, and I sort of warm up a bit by farting around in the pool for a few minutes before getting going. After I finish, I cant really say I stretch. I usually go sit in a hot tub for 5- 10 minutes. As for how often I am exercising, I am trying to go almost every day and do something. Probably 4 times this month I wasnt able to go at all. last weekend I missed friday sat and sund, and I got freaked out that I didnt go, hence my full distance practice on Monday. I definitely try to swim every day, because I really enjoy it. My initial thought for going kind of crazy was taht i was concerned that I was in such horrible shape that I really needed to beat myself up a bit to get to "Step one" shape. I am going to scour the pages here and see what I can find for guidance. I suppose what I really wanted to ask was if the nutty regimen I have adopted is going to hurt me in terms of overall conditioning ( although, come to think of it> i'm not sure why it would). Thanks for the thoughts. I have until october 8 to keep training, then it is, as they say, off to the races. EDIT EDIT A quick question about recovery days: How often should one take them? every 4 or 5 days or so? as you might be able to tell, I'm really flying in the dark.

Farting around in the pool is only going to create bubbles and warm the water slightly. 

I'll typically do 500 yards of very easy swimming to warm up, then do my normal workout.  I'll cool down with 200 - 500 easy swimming.  On the bike, I'll spin (high RPMs, easy gear) for about 5-10 minutes before I really start to work, and take about 5 to cooldown.  I jog lightly to my favorite running path, then do my run workout, and jog or walk about 5 minutes at the end.

All run workouts are preceeded by stretching, and I stretch more after. 

I try to take one complete rest day each week, but I'll alter the intensity of a workout depending on how I'm feeling.

Since this will be your first tri, I'd suggest just working on your base endurance level.  Don't worry about speed, just concentrate on being able to hit 110-115% of the race distances (go overdistance, and you know you can do the shorter distance on race day).  Between now and October, you should be able to work up to 150-200% of the distance.

Good luck!

2005-07-28 1:36 PM

Tucson
Joeinco,
Thanks for the advice.

I have been training with the thought in mind to be able to do 1200 swim, 15 bike, and 5 run, all with no problem, thinking that the real sprint distances will be a breeze. I can already do 1100 swim no prob, and t13 on the bike no prob. I guess I am just trying too much too fast.

I'm gonna keep training, but do so with a little less mania.

Thanks again.
2005-07-28 1:58 PM
in reply to: #209992

Extreme Veteran
Central Wisconsin
As gsmacleod stated you are definately getting close to "redlining it." At the rate you are going you can burn out, or worse seriously injure yourself. Every time that you work out you do not need to push it %100. This is very bad for you. You stated that you are constantly, the reason for soreness is, you've broken down the muscle tissue and it needs time to rebuild. Once it rebuilds it will actually be stronger. There is nothing wrong with working out twice a day though. One reccommendation though is to work out 6 days a week, day 1, 3, and 6 you have a hard work out in one of the disciplines. The other 3 days of the week you would use as your "easy days." As someone else suggested, purchase a heart rate monitor, this is an excellent tool to use to make the most of your training. Another thing you may want to think about is periodization. Basically what this means is, you work out hard for 3 weeks, then the following week would be an easy week.

You may want to check out the book "The Triathletes Training Bible" by Joel Frye or search on here from some of the training plans. Remember you can always alter any plan that you find to suit your needs, but remember, your muscles need time to recover, once they recover you will be faster adn stronger.
2005-07-28 1:58 PM

New user
You can also probably get your nutrition down better to reduce muscle fatigue. More specifically in the line of protein consumption. you should be taking in protein in an equal proportion to your body weight (ex. if your 200 lbs then you should take 200 grams of protein a day). Also you should space this out over 6-10 meals a day. That and get a LOT of sleep and you'll soon find your aches melting away.
2005-07-28 2:37 PM
in reply to: #209953

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
If you are constantly sore back off a little and see if that helps. I get sore still too but this is my first season (my legs aren't it's my arms). Take a day off every now and then and enjoy life.

2005-07-28 3:37 PM

User image

Congratulations on preparing for your tri.  You've gotten advice from some of the best here at BT.  Hopefully your bod will stop hurting and you continue to enjoy the sport.  We'll watch for your race report.

2005-07-28 8:54 PM
in reply to: #209983

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
... ditto... what shane mentioned...

Seems based on your posts, you haven't established a good base building program... and, haven't defined intensity levels relative to your current level of fitness.

You need to define intensity levels based on a benchmark that is quatifiable... typically noted as a percentage HR relative to your Lactic Threshold range.

Also, you might consider your recovery periods be defined by your intensity levels and volume increases.

A good reference is the Triathlete Training Bible.

FWIW Joe Moya
2005-07-28 9:09 PM

User image

Expert
Alabama
good job getting yourself in such good shape so quickly, it sounds to me like you have become addicted to exercise. Thats not such a bad addiction to have as long as you are carefull and remember to have a rest day every now and then.
With your tri coming up and you feeling so comfortable in the water I have to ask the question-: is the swim portion of the race in open water?-lake, ocean? If so, it will change your comfortable pool swim dramaticaly. If it is a pool swim then you`ll do just great, but I strongly suggest you get out and swim in the OW if this is part of the race.
2005-07-28 10:36 PM
in reply to: #210404

Tucson
Everybody,
Thanks for all the usefual advice. I have a lot to sift through.

The one thing I did take to ehart immediately is to take a slow day now and then. Today was that day. I did 850 in the pool, then just walked on a treadmill for about 10 minutes, going about, oh i dunno, 1.5 miles per hour.

I enjoyed the swim, but I dont feel like I am going to be in agony in the morning.

As for the sprint tri swim coming up, well, it is in the pool. The event is in Tucson, and as you might imagine, aint no open water around here.

Thanks again everyone.
2005-07-28 11:22 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
I second the comment about not redlining your workouts. You will get sore a lot, risk injury and it doesn't help build the base any better than if you were training in the 80% of maximum heart rate zone. So, buy yourself an el cheapo heart rate monitor and keep yourself in the zone. You workouts will get easier, less soreness and you will be making just as much progress toward completing the event. You are not doing it "all wrong", you have the right stuff for this, just need some tweaking. If you want to go nuts, increase frequency (or length) of your workouts, but ease off on intensity.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm doing this all wrong aren't I? Rss Feed