United States
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 41m 57s
Overall Rank = 4608/35774
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 671/3367
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5. Coffee, banana, 1/2 PB bagel, oatmeal, poop, stretch.
Event warmup:

Walk to start.
Run
  • 3h 41m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

After stepping outside the hotel at 6:30 and already knowing it was mid-sixties, I knew it was going to be a rough day. Four weeks ago, I crashed on my bike and broke my wrist and have been in a cast up to my elbow. I knew that was going to slow me down but I trained all damn summer to make a BQ attempt so I wasn't going to let a f*&king cast stop me from trying. I knew it would have to be a perfect day to BQ, but damnit I was gonna gonna try. BQ or die trying.

I died trying.

I had no intention of adjusting my pace due to the heat, even though it was against my better judgement. Had nothing to lose.

Started out pretty good with the exception of someone stepping on my shoe around mile 1 and having to go backwards against 40,000 to get it. That was fun. Found my happy pace for the first 10 miles and was a good :45 seconds up on BQ pace. I knew it was getting hot so I back off higher pace and tried to settle into a 7:25 pace (which I was able to do). Clocked the half in 1:37 which was dead on for a 3:15:59 finish. But then the heat started taking its toll on the unshadded 13-16m. Lost about a minute off of BQ pace by mile 16 and knew I wouldn't get it back with the temps still rising. Mentally checked out of a BQ attempt at that point and deceiede to just enjoy the rest of the race but still PR. Well that didn't happen either.

Somewhere around mile 20 I started getting calf cramps (even with compression sleeves on) which really messed with my stride. They were very intermittant and short lived but extremely painful. Decieded to start walking the aid stations to make sure I was getting enough gatorade.

Between 22-23, the wheels completely fell off the bus. I got a brutal hamstring cramp that put me into a straight-legged limp for about a half mile (was clocking an awesome limp pace of 22:00/m according to my garmin!). Refused to go to the aid tent and finally loosened up enough to begin jogging again. Vowed to HTFU amd not walk anymore after that. Saw the 3:30 pace group (3:32 was previous PR), and decieded to keep up with them. That lasted about a minute when I realized I couldn't go faster then 10:00 miles. F*&k me.

Shuffled down Michigan Ave and then Mount Roosevelt played one last joke on me. Both calves and my hamstring locked up at the same time going up the hill. Nice. I thought I was gonna have to crawl the .2 which would have been quite a site in my cast. Managed to painfully shuffle up the hill and all the pain went away when I could see the finish banner. Took off my sunglasses and smiled and did my best incredible hulk pose for the finish. Game over. One more notch in the belt.

What would you do differently?:

Adjust my pace based on the heat and the fact I was running in an arm cast!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Knew my wife was a good hour or so behind me so I took off to the hotel to get a shower before they kicked us out. Went to Millers Pub to wait for my wife and the bartender didn't charge me for either of my beers...nice! Wife found me, grabbed a drink herself and then we headed to Giordanno's for a deep dish! YUM! Then off to the airport so we could get a decent nights sleep at home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cast on my broken wrist. Heat.

Event comments:

Besides the heat, I really really enjoyed the experience. The crowds were great, the course was great (if it would have been 45* anyways). Lots of volunteers. GREAT weather for sightseeing the city.

Getting to/from the expo was kinda a pain. The entrance to the seeded corral was a cluster f^&k though.

Based on 3 out the past 4 years being in the 80s, I would probably never plan on doing this one again even though it was a great place for marathon.

Last updated: 2010-03-16 12:00 AM
Running
03:41:57 | 26.2 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 671/3367
Overall: 4608/35774
Performance: Below average
Split time 05K 0:22:35 10K 0:45:36 15K 1:08:57 20K 1:32:30 HALF 1:37:50 25K 1:57:17 30K 2:24:38 35K 2:54:58 40K 3:28:13 Finish 3:41:57
Course: Flat. Little shade after first half.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-13 11:13 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte
Subject: Chicago Marathon

2010-10-13 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3149687

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon
Your experience for the last portions of the race mirror mine exactly. The temperatures and cramps were brutal. Congrats on pushing through it all and making it to the finish as strong as you could.
2010-10-15 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3149687

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: Chicago Marathon
Goodness! What a race for you! wow. YOu are a hero to be running with that kind of a pace in that heat... and with a cast!!! Good for you for trying (though of course I should be saying be careful next time).... you certainly gave it your all!
NICE JOB!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chicago Marathon Rss Feed