General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit Endurance without the Kool Aide? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-18 6:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Subject: Crossfit Endurance without the Kool Aide?
What other resources are out there to get good functional fitness and high intensity interval training info and discussion other than the Crossfit main site and Crossfit Endurance? I like the idea of combining HIIT with swim, bike and run but I just can't stand the rhetoric and sheep mentality that exists there. After a couple months of following the CF main site, CFE and listening to the Crossfit podcast on itunes, I was just turned off to the whole CF culture. Also, has anyone tried designing their own CFE-like program?

2010-10-18 8:16 PM
in reply to: #3159091

User image

Pro
CyFair
Subject: RE: Crossfit Endurance without the Kool Aide?
joker70 - 2010-10-18 6:23 PM What other resources are out there to get good functional fitness and high intensity interval training info and discussion other than the Crossfit main site and Crossfit Endurance? I like the idea of combining HIIT with swim, bike and run but I just can't stand the rhetoric and sheep mentality that exists there. After a couple months of following the CF main site, CFE and listening to the Crossfit podcast on itunes, I was just turned off to the whole CF culture. Also, has anyone tried designing their own CFE-like program?

For a while I set up my workouts with one heavy compound movement off the top.

Something like Barbell Bench: 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5, 235 x 5, 245 x 5

and then circuit something like

BW Pullups
Kettlebell Swings
Cable Crossovers
Burpees

4 circuits for x amount of time or how many circuits could I get through at 15 reps each exercise for 20 minutes.  However you really wanted to set it up.

So I'd do a run (usually 20-40 minutes at the time) followed by the above followed by a swim of the same duration as the run.  Killer workout and you can switch out the exercises at will.
2010-10-19 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
joker70 - 2010-10-18 6:23 PM What other resources are out there to get good functional fitness and high intensity interval training info and discussion other than the Crossfit main site and Crossfit Endurance? I like the idea of combining HIIT with swim, bike and run but I just can't stand the rhetoric and sheep mentality that exists there. After a couple months of following the CF main site, CFE and listening to the Crossfit podcast on itunes, I was just turned off to the whole CF culture. Also, has anyone tried designing their own CFE-like program?

i know what you mean.  i didn't like the whole, "yeah, we do things differently because we are so awesome.  anybody that doesn't agree is obviously stupid."  i'm sure this is not the attitude of a lot of people doing crossfit, but nonetheless, it is still the vibe that i interpret.  i also never understood beating the begebers out of myself every single workout.  

but i do like throwing in the hard workouts every now and then.  what i was doing this summer was doing two bodyweight and two weight CF style workouts.  one intense, the other at 80% or so.

for the s/b/r, i was on two per week, one of each being recovery/technique and the other being upper intensity.  i found that i didn't like killing myself once a week per sport, so i tried to pick a workout that would focus on long distance pacing, mid distance pacing, and sprints.  i would then rotate those per sport per week.

i love the idea of more bang for your buck, and so i can't say that i hate crossfit.  some other places to check for workouts are marks daily apple and sealfit.  scale down as needed, i do

good luck!

Edited by Noz 2010-10-19 10:18 AM
2010-10-19 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
New Mexico
This was among the recommended reading for my upcoming CF Endurance certification. Note that at no point does it say follow the WOD.

World-Class Fitness in 100 Words
(From the 10/02 CrossFit Journal)

-Eat meat and vegetable, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat.

-Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, clean and jerk, and snatch.
-Similary, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits and holds.
-Bike, run, swim, row etc, hard and fast.

-Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense.

-Regularly learn and play new sports.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crossfit Endurance without the Kool Aide? Rss Feed