Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Carfax? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-19 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Subject: Carfax?

Anyone have access to a membership that can check a VIN for me?

I am looking at buying a truck and want to see the history on it but $35 seems a little steep for one report. So I thought I would check and see if anyone has an unlimited membership and could check for me. Or is there a cheaper or free way to get a vehicle history?

If not I guess I can suck it up and pay the ridiculous fee.

2010-10-19 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3160127

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Carfax?
honestly (from a used car dealer) a carfax is nigh useless.

Either
A.) It's been wrecked/flooded/on fire/etc...bad. If so, it will show up on the title.
B.) It was hit "sorta bad to not so bad" - the person didn't notify their insurance, there was no payoff, and so the title (and the carfax) will come back clean.

I know this because I buy vehicles that have been hit and fix them myself from time to time... most of the big dealerships (Ford/Chevy/etc) do the same thing... The only real way to know for sure is to have the full history of the car from somebody honest... so yeah...

You can also buy one of those little devices that will tell you if there is any bondo in the body.

Save your money on the carfax... the car's either worth it or it isn't regardless...
2010-10-19 10:59 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

The guy I am buying it from says he is the 2nd owner. The first owners were an older couple who had two pickups so they sold this one to him, he has had it 3 years or so and put 30k on it.

It has 60k and looks very clean and pampered to me. Not a scratch on it and very clean inside. Seemed to run fine, he says he has never towed anything or used it off-road and the hitch did look like it had never had a stinger in it, no scratches to the hitch paint.

So am I better off skipping the carfax and taking his word for it?

2010-10-19 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3160208

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
You can verify how many owners it's had on the title as well...and the mileage when he got it and what year he got it.

The most important thing is how it runs and drives and how much you like it compared to your money.
2010-10-19 12:21 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Got a copy of the title from him just now. Looks like the mileage story checks out so I guess I'll take his word for it on the rest.

It runs and drives great so I suppose the important part is taken care of. It books at $5k over what I am paying so I imagine I am getting an alright deal.

Thanks for the info Chris!

2010-10-19 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh
I dont trust CF...

My BMW is beat to crap, and been in a few major minor things...and carfax shows none of that, bc i paid out of pocket.

Nothing beats a PPI. just saying... 

2010-10-24 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I did not buy a car once because of the car fax.  lady was trying to sell a car she did not need and wanted way more than it was worth.  She was keeping the older car with more miles.  Plus she took the license plates off the car because she did not want you go on any roads above 30 mph.  Car fax showed she only had the car for around 6 months and before it was owned by a leasing/rental company.  Decided to walk away from that one.  Yes it may not be perfect but that one I think it helped.
2010-10-24 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
Although I agree with the sentiment that a carfax won't tell you that you are looking at a great car, it can tell you that you are looking at one that's had an accident that the owner doesn't know about (or isn't telling you).

I have bought and sold several cars off craigslist.org and always ask for a carfax to see if there was any documented damage.  The reason that I highly recommend it is that, should you decide to sell the car, the individual buying it may request a carfax.  If there is an accident listed, you will get less money for the car, in my opinion. 

2010-10-24 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3169102

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
semperfi - 2010-10-24 11:01 AM

Although I agree with the sentiment that a carfax won't tell you that you are looking at a great car, it can tell you that you are looking at one that's had an accident that the owner doesn't know about (or isn't telling you).

I have bought and sold several cars off craigslist.org and always ask for a carfax to see if there was any documented damage.  The reason that I highly recommend it is that, should you decide to sell the car, the individual buying it may request a carfax.  If there is an accident listed, you will get less money for the car, in my opinion. 

You are assuming that the Carfax knows all - which it doesn't. I bought an old Miata with the expectation it is to be used as a track car so all the major systems would be replaced. I ran the Carfax just because, and it showed that the car stayed in VA, but other than that, nothing. After getting around the car (more closely than any test-drive would show), it is clear to me now that the thing had some run-ins with things that never showed up on the Carfax. I suspect one of the previous owners just fixed stuff either on his own, or didn't run it through his insurance.

Carfax can show you somes things, but won't give you much to rely on, or make a decision with. Take it for what it's worth. Your BEST bet is to pay a mechanic $150 to look the thing over from the underside.
2010-10-24 5:30 PM
in reply to: #3169358

User image

Veteran
Pennsylvania
D.Z. - 2010-10-24 4:23 PM
semperfi - 2010-10-24 11:01 AM Although I agree with the sentiment that a carfax won't tell you that you are looking at a great car, it can tell you that you are looking at one that's had an accident that the owner doesn't know about (or isn't telling you).

You are assuming that the Carfax knows all - which it doesn't. I bought an old Miata with the expectation it is to be used as a track car so all the major systems would be replaced. I ran the Carfax just because, and it showed that the car stayed in VA, but other than that, nothing. After getting around the car (more closely than any test-drive would show), it is clear to me now that the thing had some run-ins with things that never showed up on the Carfax. I suspect one of the previous owners just fixed stuff either on his own, or didn't run it through his insurance. Carfax can show you somes things, but won't give you much to rely on, or make a decision with. Take it for what it's worth. Your BEST bet is to pay a mechanic $150 to look the thing over from the underside.

You're missing my point.  All I'm saying is that I get a carfax because when I decide to sell the vehicle, it is highly likely that the person buying it will want a carfax.  I don't want to look stupid when there's an accident that the carfax actually shows. 

I completely agree that your local mechanic can help you make the most educated decision. 
2010-10-25 6:52 AM

User image

Elite
You're right - I missed your point, which is a good one. My b.

Edited by D.Z. 2010-10-25 6:53 AM

2010-10-25 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3169427

User image

Elite
semperfi - 2010-10-24 6:30 PM

D.Z. - 2010-10-24 4:23 PM
semperfi - 2010-10-24 11:01 AM Although I agree with the sentiment that a carfax won't tell you that you are looking at a great car, it can tell you that you are looking at one that's had an accident that the owner doesn't know about (or isn't telling you).

You are assuming that the Carfax knows all - which it doesn't. I bought an old Miata with the expectation it is to be used as a track car so all the major systems would be replaced. I ran the Carfax just because, and it showed that the car stayed in VA, but other than that, nothing. After getting around the car (more closely than any test-drive would show), it is clear to me now that the thing had some run-ins with things that never showed up on the Carfax. I suspect one of the previous owners just fixed stuff either on his own, or didn't run it through his insurance. Carfax can show you somes things, but won't give you much to rely on, or make a decision with. Take it for what it's worth. Your BEST bet is to pay a mechanic $150 to look the thing over from the underside.

You're missing my point.  All I'm saying is that I get a carfax because when I decide to sell the vehicle, it is highly likely that the person buying it will want a carfax.  I don't want to look stupid when there's an accident that the carfax actually shows. 

I completely agree that your local mechanic can help you make the most educated decision. 

You're right - I missed your point, which is a good one. My b.

(sorry about the double posting thing - this new interwebs thing is confusing to me. You mean, "it's in the computer?")
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Carfax? Rss Feed