General Discussion Triathlon Talk » American Triple T Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-20 5:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: American Triple T
I am not at this level (maybe someday just for kicks though, haha) but I love the idea of this event.  I am curious about how one (a relative novice) would train for this.  Would the volumes be similar to HIM or IM volumes or more ?  Just curious, not looking for elaborate answers.

2010-10-20 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3163665

Master
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: American Triple T
I just did it in NC about 10 days ago and I am not at "that" level either.  These other athletes were way out of my league so don't let that stop you.  I trained around the same amount as for an HIM and it was not enough but I don't think it would need the same training as in IM so somewhere in between.
2010-10-20 6:34 PM

I just did it a couple weeks ago and loved it. I asked many forums that exact question and had difficulty getting an answer. My training was right on for this race and did well, for me, the entire race. I did 80% of IM volume, so that meant a few 80 mile rides, a couple 3 hour runs and several 3000 yd swims. I also added 2 60 mile Sat and Sunday rides, and swam long back to back days as well as 2 a day swims. I think I only did one of those.
It was quite a challenge to keep the endurance going all weekend. I have done one iron distance race last year and people said this was harder. In some ways it is......to recover and go again is a challenge.
Good luck! You will have a blast!
2010-10-20 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran

Thanks, it is good to know I wouldn't have to amp up training too dramatically (just did  a HIM).  I like the idea of back to back long days.  I am about to be unemployed so I will consider this. 

Edited by asj10 2010-10-20 7:10 PM
2010-10-21 9:40 PM

User image

Master
I was just looking at this and am seriously considering signing up for the one in may.
It looks like a blast! 
2010-10-22 7:26 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I did TTT Ohio this past May and will do it again next May.  I used it as part of my IM training (did Canada and WI this year) and it was basically a big volume weekend with intensity.  But, its so early in the year for me (I don't stop x-c ski racing until late Feb) that I haven't gotten into prime IM shape by the time TTT arrives...hence I don't treat it as an A race, its just a long training weekend.  I guess the answer to your question depends on whether TTT is your goal race.  If it is, then I would train for it as an IM with the buildup, peak, and taper to target TTT.  If its just a long training weekend then treat it as that, train thru it (i.e. no big peak and long taper strategy) and just fit it in your schedule for whatever your A race is later in the season.  Not sure if I'm making sense or not...

2010-10-23 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3166352

User image

Master
Ohio
Birkierunner - 2010-10-22 8:26 AM

I did TTT Ohio this past May and will do it again next May.  I used it as part of my IM training (did Canada and WI this year) and it was basically a big volume weekend with intensity.  But, its so early in the year for me (I don't stop x-c ski racing until late Feb) that I haven't gotten into prime IM shape by the time TTT arrives...hence I don't treat it as an A race, its just a long training weekend.  I guess the answer to your question depends on whether TTT is your goal race.  If it is, then I would train for it as an IM with the buildup, peak, and taper to target TTT.  If its just a long training weekend then treat it as that, train thru it (i.e. no big peak and long taper strategy) and just fit it in your schedule for whatever your A race is later in the season.  Not sure if I'm making sense or not...

I think this is great advice. I plan on using it as a long training weekend in 2011 and want to "just finish." How do you feel it worked out for you? How was your recovery afterwards (you can't go that long on those hills without needing some recovery time)?
2010-10-24 4:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
I've done TTT 4X. Come into with HIM fitness and a mentality to suffer. Most likely it will be harder than any IM that you will do. Very few people show up to compete. For most it is a training weekend.

Pace throughout the entire weekend is key. This is a great race(s) to use a power meter and nail your nutrition.

Your recovery time will be commensurate with you ability to stay within an early season %FTP range and run pace.

The swim is often VERY cold and 'lake' is not really the best way to describe the water. Swamp is usually a more appropriate term.

It's a great race but expect little to no support. There are no aid stations on the bike on Friday/Saturday races. There is only one aid station during the HIM bike on Sunday.

The run is basically straight up/down a dirt fire road. They do have 3 aid stations on the run.

Also, this is NOT a spectator event. Leave the family at home. You will be so busy doing race/recover/prep for next race/driving to/from hotel that there is very little time to mess around.

Having said all of that it really is a great weekend.

Jamie

2010-12-28 2:41 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Just registered for 2011 (Ohio).  Early registration ends 12/31/10...save $25

2010-12-31 4:47 PM

Expert
The race on Sunday was actually my first HIM! The mental preparation was the tough part. I did the Ohio race, and read every race report that I could find. When the bike and run course started appearing in blogs like "what's the toughest race you ever did," or "what's the most difficult hill you every rode," I started getting a little nervous. Doing the bike course on the computrainer helped my confidence alot. Planning on doing it again, but can't this year.

Probably the greatest athletic event of my life. On one part of the bike ride up a mountain (which was any part of the bike route), I looked down the side of the mountain, couldn't believe how high up it was. Then I looked up....then looked up more....then looked up some more....heck I was only half the way up!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » American Triple T Rss Feed