Pinehurst, North Carolina
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 8/22
Pre-race routine:

I drove to Pinehurst that morning. I left home at 5:00am andd arrived at the parking lot by 6:00am. I unloaded my bike and transition bag, pumped up my tires, put on my headlamp, and started the long walk to the race site. I racked my bike and then picked up my race packet. Since I was there so early, there was no line. I finished setting up my transition area fairly quickly. Then I started looking for friends. I spent the rest of the time hanging out with Pete and Maria - and trying to stay warm! It was freezing.
Event warmup:

I did very little warmup. I struggled into my wetsuit about 8am (my wave started at 8:30). Then I got into the water and did a little swimming. The water temp was 72 and it didn't feel too bad compared to the air temperature.
Swim
  • 35m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started off well. I was with the pack and drafting fairly well until the first turn buoy. Once I made the turn, I went for a breath and got a lung full of water instead. I had to stop and cough it out. I watched as the pack left me behind while I tried to breath normally again. I started swimming again, but was never able to catch back up. I ended up choking 2 more times. And my sighting was terrible coming back in after the last turn for some reason. I normally swim more to the right, but I kept going to the left for some reason - I am assuming the current was pushing me that way. I was having to fight to stay to the right of the buoys and ran right into one of them!
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on my sighting. I still have a hard time sighting without slowing down too much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

I left my shoes on my bike, so I didn't have to run in my bike shoes. Most of this transition went well. My wetsuit got stuck on my timing chip and slowed me down a bit but not too much. What really got me was my arm warmers. Since it was so cold, I decided to wear my arm warmers for the bike. I had tried putting them on a few times in practice and they slide right on. But I have apparently never tried it while wet. They would not go on! I struggled with them for what felt like an eternity!

Skip the arm warmers. It was chilly at first, but I could have put up with it. I was warm enough to take them off within a few miles anyway.
Bike
  • 1h 40m 2s
  • 30 miles
  • 17.99 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough bike course. I had decided to do this race without my Garmin (or a watch of any kind). That meant no bike computer too since I use my Garmin as my bike computer. So, I was completely blind on this ride. I never had any idea where I was on the course (how far I had gone or how far I had to go). I thought they would have mile markers so I could have some idea, but they didn't. After the race, someone told me they had marked the road at a couple points, but I didn't see it (I was looking for signs at the side of the road - no paint on the road). I think I would have done the ride a bit faster if I had my computer or saw the mile markers. I held back because I never knew how much farther I needed to go. It was also windy. It felt like we rode into a headwind for most of the ride!

Nothing really. I didn't wear my Garmin because I wanted a stress free race where I raced by feel instead of being a slave to my HR or pace. It would have gone better with mile markers, but oh well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

I took my feet out of my shoes as we turned off of Linden Rd. I rounded the turn and jumped off my bike. And ended up right behind the slowest man in the world! He was walking his bike back into the transition area and I couldn't get around him. So, my dismount had turned out to be a compete waste of time!

Nothing. It would have been faster if I could have actually run into transition. But I have no control over the other racers.
Run
  • 50m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I have done this race 2 times before. The run always gets me. It is very hilly. My goal on the run this year was to not walk at all (I have walked a couple of hills the other 2 times). This run went much better. I ran the entire time. The first 4 miles were tough because that is where the worst hills were. Then I came up on a 65 yo man wearing a Kona jersey. I asked as I was passing if he did Kona. He said he had done it 4 times. I slowed to his pace (it wasn't much, he was running a good pace) and we talked for the next 1.5 miles. When we come out of the neighborhood, with just under a mile to go, I thanked him for the company and took off.

Nothing. I could have run a minute or two faster if I hadn't slowed to talk. But it also distracted me from the pain and kept me running.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around with Pete watching for Maria to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Desire. I signed up for this race after IMKY just so I could see if I could do better on the hills after all my hill training this year. That was the only reason I was doing this race - so I really had no drive today to do well. A lot of the time today, I felt like I was just going through the motions.

Last updated: 2010-09-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:28 | 1640 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro X2
Course: Rectangle in lake - counterclockwise
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:40:02 | 30 miles | 17.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/22
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: One loop - hilly
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:37 | 06.21 miles | 08m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/22
Performance: Average
Course: One loop around the lake - through neighborhood
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-10-21 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2010-10-25 11:19 AM
in reply to: #3164837

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
Doing some "Tarzan drills" might help your sighting. Do a set of a few 25s, where in the middle of each lap, you take around 5 strokes with your head straight up like your sighting. It'll get you used to that body position, and used to transitioning between that and your normal stroke. 

Great job  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed