Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Comic relief--training in Vietnam Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2010-10-23 5:04 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Comic relief--training in Vietnam
Back "home" in Vietnam after smoky week in Singapore. (With new bike that VN Airlines took FOR FREE!!)  Noticed something about "war stories" on one of the posts so thought I'd give everyone a look at how exciting it is to train around here!

You might be training in Vietnam when…… (Top Ten List in spirit of Letterman)

1. Running at night, you step on and explode a frog. You sure hope it was already dead.
  2. A woman tries to sell you iced coffee from a motorbike…..while you’re running.
  3. Your entire bike group almost crashes after swerving simultaneously to avoid a chicken.
  4. Your bike buddy runs over a fish.  No market or river in sight.
  5. You’re struggling on the bike leg in a race, and a local guy offers you a “foot push” with his motorbike. You gracefully decline.
  6. Running bleary-eyed at 5:30 AM, you are stopped in your tracks by a fish “walking” across the road with modified gills. No, alcohol is not involved.
  7. Your favorite speed workout is called, “Can I beat the monsoon shower?”
  8. You get stuck in a fishing net while doing open water swim practice.
  9. You have suffered full-on heat exhaustion—cramps, nausea, retching—at 7 AM.
  10. The (indoor)  pool has become one of your favorite places, because your workout there has never been interrupted by heat, monsoon, cars, sexual harassment, construction projects, flooding, fish, frogs, chickens, cats, dogs, coffee vendors, or motorbikes……..YET!

Singapore--nice, cheap pool (Toa Payoh), nice parks, crap air (right now), friendly, helpful people, great food, but just can't match here for excitement!

2010-10-31 7:49 AM
in reply to: #3168260

User image

, North Island
Subject: RE: Comic relief--training in Vietnam
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Other than almost being hit by a falling tree (twice . . . no-one wants to go ride with me anymore), training in Malaysia is not that exciting . . . yet . . . although the street dogs make sure that you never have a shortage of adrenalin . . .
2010-11-01 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3168260

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Comic relief--training in Vietnam
Was hoping others would post their own top ten from respective countries!  I'd love to find out what it's like training in other parts of the world. Latest incident involved bike buddy swerving to avoid a water buffalo. Ironically, we were not paying attention because we were admiring some cool bikes whizzing by in the other direction (local cycle club?).
New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Comic relief--training in Vietnam Rss Feed