General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Richard B Russell State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - Richard B Russell State Park - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elberton, Georgia
United States
Tri Blue Sky
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 45m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Had arrived at my hotel the night before and driven the bike and run course. Woke at 4:30am race morning and made it to the race site by 5:30. Breakfast was a few apples and a Harvest Bar; sipped on water the entire morning. Used bathroom early - I had hydrated well the day before.
Event warmup:

Stretched in the transition area and swam about 100m before the swim start.
Swim
  • 27m 3s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my swim. I nailed it. As opposed to my last (and first ever race), heart race was down and my pace was dead on. Maybe a bit slower than I wanted to do, but freestyle the whole time, breathing was great, sighting was great. Though I was slow, this was MY swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, except for be faster...
Transition 1
  • 02m 52s
Comments:

Cotton socks don't slip onto wet feet very easily. I think this is a point I need to learn. Good T1 - had a hard time getting started on the bike, though. Uphill starts aren't my thing.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 1s
  • 22 miles
  • 17.83 mile/hr
Comments:

I just didn't feel right being on my aerobars with all the rolling hills. I'm a big fan of just keeping a cadence at around 95rpm, and having to shift with my break levers often doesn't afford me the opportunity to really get down on my aerobars and use them. Got up to 39.8mph on one of the downhills, though! Sweet!

I need to work on cornering. I've got somewhat of a fear of cornering after my wreck back in April having taken a corner too fast. What with the course being wet, too, that didn't help.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

What can I say? I don't know why I took so much time. Hit the BodyGlide on my chest - that was new. I walked from my bike to the run start.

Not sure - be faster?
Run
  • 59m 36s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Side stitch at 2 miles. I even specifically didn't drink alot of water close to T2. Why do I get these during bricks and races? Good pace though - really felt good to do so well on the run.
Post race
Warm down:

A walk around the parking lot with my father who was able to wake up early enough and make it to the race!

Event comments:

I met ALL of my goals: 1) Finish, 2) Have Fun, 3) Don't DFL, 4a) Finish the swim in less than 30 minutes, 4b) Finish the bike in 1:15, 4c) Finish the run in under 1 hour, 5) Finish the whole shebang in under 3 hours.

I had a great race. Freestyled the whole swim (breathing and sighting were great!), good bike (would have like to have hit around 18.5 - 19 mph on the bike), and a better than expected run (<1 hour was a goal but not something I thought I'd be able to attain).

Last updated: 2005-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:03 | 1094 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and Tri top
Course: 250m out, 30degree angle turn left and 600m, 30 degree angle left 250m in. 50 yard (or so) run up a hill to the transition area.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:01 | 22 miles | 17.83 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: BIG hill just outside of the park, at around mile 2, but rolling hills after that. Some great downhills, one of which sadly ended in a 90degree left turn.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:59:36 | 06.2 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Course: First .5 mile on a CRAPPY trail full of loose rocks. Bummer. Then ~2.5 miles on brand-spakin'-newly paved roads, then .5 miles on a CRAPPY trail full of loose rocks then ~2.5 miles on...well, you get the picture.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-30 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
The High Plains
Subject: Tri the Parks - Richard B Russell State Park

2005-07-30 8:42 PM
in reply to: #211778

Veteran
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Richard B Russell State Park

Sounds like a great race for you!  Congratulations.

I did "my race, my way" also, but was considerably slower.  Can you imagine how tough it would have been had it not been so cool and overcast?

Are you doing High Falls in a few weeks?   I'd like to me you and compare notes.

2005-08-01 10:19 PM
in reply to: #211778

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - Richard B Russell State Park

CONGRATULATIONS   SO sorry I didn't see your race report sooner   So gald youmet all your goals

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - Richard B Russell State Park Rss Feed