Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-10-27 3:51 PM
in reply to: #3174153

User image

Expert
Leicester
Subject: RE: Strokes per length
This is one of a plethora of threads I've read about stroke count/length and reducing it to get faster (through technique).
But I'm similar to the OP, I swim a consistant 2:05/100 pace for 1 - 2K and I count about 24 SPL. I was convinced that I needed lower and was trying to get it lower in the last few weeks of the masters swim class in summer. The coach however told me to not try to reduce it for now other than when the board called for -2 stroke drill.
Class was over a while ago and I never got to ask why, I'm guessing concentrating on technique and strength for a beginner will get you through a race faster and with less effort than specifically a low stroke count?

Edited by alex jb 2010-10-27 3:51 PM

2010-10-27 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3176459

User image

Master
PNW
AdventureBear - 2010-10-27 12:38 PM
H20 Killer - 2010-10-27 9:17 AM
AdventureBear - 2010-10-27 9:57 AM
Try to develop your pull a little bit more so that you get more glide out of your stroke. 
Beware of confusing streamlining with propulsion...they are two different (but obviously connected) components of swimming well. For the OP, a few things will probably help him optimize his stroke count... 1) First and foremost is always goign to be balance...front to back balance in the water will reduce your cross sectional area presented to the water, so the same movements that move you forward will move you FURTHER if your balance is good. No need to power more with the stroke. 2) Streamlining. Similar to #1, but more refined. What things are going on that are causing more drag than propulsion? Enjoy the streamline by reaching forward in a diagonal line from outreached arm to the opposite, rearward stretched leg. Reducing things like wide kicks, scissor kicks, a wobbly core that allows your body to wiggle from side to side while you swim...will all help you streamline more. Both of these things will let you move further with each stroke, and while they may feel odd...they will feel EASIER while letting you swim faster. Check this blog post I just wrote about streamlining... What can Tuna teach us about swimmign? http://www.steelcityendurance.com/index.php?option=com_content&...

Streamlining is done off the walls, not between the flags. Between the flags it is about technique and stroke, not streamlining. 
You need to practice active streamlining with every stroke. Good swimmers do it without thiking, but slower/newer swimmers do all sorts of things wtih their body parts and balance that reduce streamlining and increases drag. Drag reduction is the most important thing any swimmer can do for all parst of the stroke (and all strokes) Here is a great example...notice how much his streamlining is improved in teh after video...the segments near the end of the clinic demonstrate this well. http://distancedave.com/2010/10/27/looking-fast-vs-being-fast/ .

Incredible before and after!  Is that really the same guy?  What I mean is...was the first video truly filmed before he learned TI techniques, or did he just try and swim like he didn't know any of them in order to show the contrast?

Personally, I think he looks super sloppy and almost like he's struggling in the first video.  I can't believe people think that's the faster version!  I like to think I look like the 'after', but the clock clearly says otherwise.  I need to get video of myself to see where I can improve....

Edited by GLC1968 2010-10-27 3:58 PM
2010-10-27 3:57 PM
in reply to: #3176685

User image

Sensei
Sin City
depends on how worked up I am.
2010-10-27 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3174389

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
maxmattmick - 2010-10-27 7:31 AM I like dragging my thumb across my thigh on each stroke - makes for a longer stroke and almost automatically lowers your stroke count...

good luck!

This thread.  Can't help laffing.  It gets better and better.  Oh, my mind.
2010-10-27 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3176705

User image

Sensei
Sin City
1stTimeTri - 2010-10-27 2:00 PM
maxmattmick - 2010-10-27 7:31 AM I like dragging my thumb across my thigh on each stroke - makes for a longer stroke and almost automatically lowers your stroke count...

good luck!

I'm really tall and have a huge reach.  So I have a LONG stroke.
2010-10-27 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3176710

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Kido - 2010-10-27 4:01 PM
1stTimeTri - 2010-10-27 2:00 PM

good luck!

I'm really tall and have a huge reach.  So I have a LONG stroke.

STOP IT!!  *crying from laughter*

2010-10-27 4:05 PM

User image

Champion
SoCal
Bore x Stroke = displacement
2010-10-27 5:56 PM

User image

Regular
so the idea of the stroke count is to use mroe power, let your self glide some? which could potentially decrease overuse injury in shoulder? and maybe endurance due to less strokes?

at first maybe you might tire until you build up the strength?
2010-10-27 6:15 PM
in reply to: #3177013

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
disturbed - 2010-10-27 4:56 PM

so the idea of the stroke count is to use mroe power, let your self glide some? which could potentially decrease overuse injury in shoulder? and maybe endurance due to less strokes?

at first maybe you might tire until you build up the strength?

No, by using teh SAME power you currently have, or even less, you travel further due to improvements in balance and streamlining, and eliminating wasted efforts used by pushing water around (moving water), rather than moving your body forward.
2010-10-27 6:22 PM

User image

Master
Salt Lake City
So for someone such as myself who swam more than 50m without resting for the first time ever 5 months ago, is reducing my stroke count something I should be focusing on, or is it just kind of a natural result of becoming a better swimmer?
2010-10-27 6:33 PM
in reply to: #3176536

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
rayd - 2010-10-27 2:09 PM

AdventureBear - 2010-10-27 9:06 AM
rayd - 2010-10-27 9:01 AM a couple years ago I tried the TI thing with the lower stroke count.  I got lower but my swimming was slower as well.  I just couldn't keep the same pace with the stroke rate that feels comfortable to me.  23/25 might be on the high side as I am around 19/21 and people have told me that's too high...but that's what works for me.

However, when I see a good swimmer in the pool I often with stop and watch and even count their stroke rate.  I've see guys/girls swimming much faster than I do with stroke rates around 14/16.  They make it look so effortless.
You'll never be finished polishing your swim technique...how fast do you swim at 19-21 SPL? Have you ever practiced with a tempo trainier to train a faster rate at teh same stroke count? Or a slower rate with a lower stroke count, which non-intuitively, can sometimes help you swim faster?

what is a tempo trainer?  normally at 19/21 I am just under 1-minute per 100-meters for about 500 meters.  Then I get slower.  When I was trying the lower stroke count I was about 10-seconds per 100 slower and felt off-balance.

It's a metronome you use under your swim cap to aid with training your stroke rate. Stroke rate and distance per stroke are the 2 components that create your speed. Each has to be optimized. Contrary to the percieved party lines of "stroke faster" and "stroke longer", the ideals are not (respectively) "stroke as fast as you can" nor "swim as few strokes as possible".

Stroke count can be decreased by working on technique which indicates good balance & streamlining along with adequate forward propulsion. Stroke rate can be increased as long as it doesn't result in a significant disruption of form. Learning ways to use the two metrics together will help your swimming far more than simply trying to swim harder or faster. swimming "better" will always bring about faster swimming when approached systematically.

I your case, the first thing I might assign for you to do is to get a tempo traininer and swim your 500 at a set tempo (you'll have to experimenet) and find the tempo at which you can comfortably swim a 500. This may take 2 or 3 efforts either the same day, or on subsequent workouts (even subsequent weeks...no need to torture yourself using the thing...take your time learing how to use it).

Say you find that you can comfortabely swim a 500 yd set with a stroke rate of 1.2 seconds (just a place to start). You can swim this 500 and feel pretty tired, but not wiped out. From this starting point you can approach your swim training in 2 different directions (well lots of ways but here are 2 ideas)

1) Now that you've idetified a starting point, repeat the same set when fresh. (either after a rest on the same workout day or a different day). During this 500, count your strokes, either first 25 of each 100, or count strokes per 100.

Example: Your first 100 you take 16 SPL for each 25. The middle 3x100 you are swimming 17-18 SPL per 25. During the last 100, you swim teh following stroke counts per 25: 17-18-20-20. This type of set would indicate that you are fatiguing near the end and your form is falling apart. With this information you can create some workout sets for your upcoming week(s) of traiing. Ideally, you'd be able to hold the same (lower) stroke count from teh beginig to the end of your 500 while maintaining your stroke rate. Suppose you took off strokes during your last 100 of the above sample set, so that each length was 16 SPL as it was in the beginning. You'd shave off 11 strokes just from the last 100. 11 x 1.2 seconds = about 24 seconds you've shaved off your 500 time by simply focusing on your swim form alone.

To accomplish this in a practical matter you'd have stroke thoughts in mind while you swam...things like reaching forward, stretching your lats, diagonal flow from opposite wrist & foot, eyes down, neck long, rotate to breath, etc...there are dozens of singular stroke thoughts you could use. AS the 500 goes on and you begin to fatigue, you simply focus on one of these specific stroke thoughts to regain your distance per stroke and get the count back down to where it was in the beginning.

2) Suppose your stroke counts remain pretty stead from the first 100 to the last 100, without climbing significantly. AT this point in order to get faster, since there's no "easy pickin's" of removing strokes at the end, in order to get faster, you'll have to swim at a faster turnover (while maitainign the same stroke rate). So you take your trusty tempo trainer and create some sets with gradually increasing rates, but shorter durations.

EG. your firrst 500 is at a rate of 1.2 sec/stroke, and stroke count remains the same for the duration (+/- a stroke or two).
Do sets of 2 x 250, @ 1.18 sec/stroke, 4 x 125 @ 1.16 sec/stroke, 5 x 100 @ 1.14 sec per stroke. In this way you are training your nervous system ot hold the same form while gradually increasing the rate. Now begin to slowly add distance back to the sets at the slightly lower rates and still hold the same stroke counts from beginning to the end. If you get back up to a 500 at 1.14 s/stroke (from your starting point of 1.2 s/stroke) @ an SPL of 16, then you've just swum the set 19 seconds faster. (20 lengths x 16 SPL x .06 sec saved/stroke).

Those are just some ideas to get you started. Using the tempo trainer is nearly limitless in terms of the ways you can create & structure sets for swimming both longer & faster. Some people love it, some people hate it, some people need just the right amount to keep from going insane with it (it beeps incessantly), other people learn to love the beep because the recognize the value it provides in swimming better & faster, with better form.

Hope those ideas help.

Does your stroke count significantly increase by the end of the 500?

2010-10-27 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3177090

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
JZig - 2010-10-27 5:22 PM

So for someone such as myself who swam more than 50m without resting for the first time ever 5 months ago, is reducing my stroke count something I should be focusing on, or is it just kind of a natural result of becoming a better swimmer?

Both. Stroke count is a tool to use to both measure and track improvements in your swimming. Nearly everyone can improve their technique, and even on a day to day basis, your "feel for the water" will change. You may be used to swimming at say 18SPL on a good day, but get in the water one day and are swimming 19 SPL consistently. You've just gathered information that you can use to try and track down the source of your slightly worsened form on that day (why aren't you traveling as far with each stroke?)

Likewise, if you are working on drills or stroke thoughts, you may find a stroke thought or combination of thoughts that leads to a noticable drop in stroke count. While that drill & / or stroke thought may or may not represent the swimming you will do in a race, if you have identified a technique that allows you to travel further with less perceived effort, then it's something you are likely to work on incorporating into your stroke.

Keep in mind the ideal stroke count is not the lowest stroke count...but if you can swim long strokes and stay balanced, then speeding up this stroke to a faster rate will result in smoother, faster swimming than simply thinking about swimming harder.

For comparison, I'm 5'3" tall with an armspan of about 5'2". I can get my SPL down to about 14 with some effort, 16 comfortably and 17-18 when I'm swimming faster focused on better turnover and smoother propulsion. My fastest 100s are done at an SPL of 20.... If I try to fit in more than 20 SPL, I actually swim slower...the product of tempo x SPL starts to fall off. IMO, if you are 5'6 or taller and your stroke count is higher than 16 SPL when you are swimming at your "all day pace", you have a lot of room to improve on technique.
2010-10-27 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3177127

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
AdventureBear - 2010-10-27 5:33 PM
rayd - 2010-10-27 2:09 PM
AdventureBear - 2010-10-27 9:06 AM
rayd - 2010-10-27 9:01 AM a couple years ago I tried the TI thing with the lower stroke count.  I got lower but my swimming was slower as well.  I just couldn't keep the same pace with the stroke rate that feels comfortable to me.  23/25 might be on the high side as I am around 19/21 and people have told me that's too high...but that's what works for me.

However, when I see a good swimmer in the pool I often with stop and watch and even count their stroke rate.  I've see guys/girls swimming much faster than I do with stroke rates around 14/16.  They make it look so effortless.
You'll never be finished polishing your swim technique...how fast do you swim at 19-21 SPL? Have you ever practiced with a tempo trainier to train a faster rate at teh same stroke count? Or a slower rate with a lower stroke count, which non-intuitively, can sometimes help you swim faster?

what is a tempo trainer?  normally at 19/21 I am just under 1-minute per 100-meters for about 500 meters.  Then I get slower.  When I was trying the lower stroke count I was about 10-seconds per 100 slower and felt off-balance.
It's a metronome you use under your swim cap to aid with training your stroke rate. Stroke rate and distance per stroke are the 2 components that create your speed. Each has to be optimized. Contrary to the percieved party lines of "stroke faster" and "stroke longer", the ideals are not (respectively) "stroke as fast as you can" nor "swim as few strokes as possible". Stroke count can be decreased by working on technique which indicates good balance & streamlining along with adequate forward propulsion. Stroke rate can be increased as long as it doesn't result in a significant disruption of form. Learning ways to use the two metrics together will help your swimming far more than simply trying to swim harder or faster. swimming "better" will always bring about faster swimming when approached systematically. I your case, the first thing I might assign for you to do is to get a tempo traininer and swim your 500 at a set tempo (you'll have to experimenet) and find the tempo at which you can comfortably swim a 500. This may take 2 or 3 efforts either the same day, or on subsequent workouts (even subsequent weeks...no need to torture yourself using the thing...take your time learing how to use it). Say you find that you can comfortabely swim a 500 yd set with a stroke rate of 1.2 seconds (just a place to start). You can swim this 500 and feel pretty tired, but not wiped out. From this starting point you can approach your swim training in 2 different directions (well lots of ways but here are 2 ideas) 1) Now that you've idetified a starting point, repeat the same set when fresh. (either after a rest on the same workout day or a different day). During this 500, count your strokes, either first 25 of each 100, or count strokes per 100. Example: Your first 100 you take 16 SPL for each 25. The middle 3x100 you are swimming 17-18 SPL per 25. During the last 100, you swim teh following stroke counts per 25: 17-18-20-20. This type of set would indicate that you are fatiguing near the end and your form is falling apart. With this information you can create some workout sets for your upcoming week(s) of traiing. Ideally, you'd be able to hold the same (lower) stroke count from teh beginig to the end of your 500 while maintaining your stroke rate. Suppose you took off strokes during your last 100 of the above sample set, so that each length was 16 SPL as it was in the beginning. You'd shave off 11 strokes just from the last 100. 11 x 1.2 seconds = about 24 seconds you've shaved off your 500 time by simply focusing on your swim form alone. To accomplish this in a practical matter you'd have stroke thoughts in mind while you swam...things like reaching forward, stretching your lats, diagonal flow from opposite wrist & foot, eyes down, neck long, rotate to breath, etc...there are dozens of singular stroke thoughts you could use. AS the 500 goes on and you begin to fatigue, you simply focus on one of these specific stroke thoughts to regain your distance per stroke and get the count back down to where it was in the beginning. 2) Suppose your stroke counts remain pretty stead from the first 100 to the last 100, without climbing significantly. AT this point in order to get faster, since there's no "easy pickin's" of removing strokes at the end, in order to get faster, you'll have to swim at a faster turnover (while maitainign the same stroke rate). So you take your trusty tempo trainer and create some sets with gradually increasing rates, but shorter durations. EG. your firrst 500 is at a rate of 1.2 sec/stroke, and stroke count remains the same for the duration (+/- a stroke or two). Do sets of 2 x 250, @ 1.18 sec/stroke, 4 x 125 @ 1.16 sec/stroke, 5 x 100 @ 1.14 sec per stroke. In this way you are training your nervous system ot hold the same form while gradually increasing the rate. Now begin to slowly add distance back to the sets at the slightly lower rates and still hold the same stroke counts from beginning to the end. If you get back up to a 500 at 1.14 s/stroke (from your starting point of 1.2 s/stroke) @ an SPL of 16, then you've just swum the set 19 seconds faster. (20 lengths x 16 SPL x .06 sec saved/stroke). Those are just some ideas to get you started. Using the tempo trainer is nearly limitless in terms of the ways you can create & structure sets for swimming both longer & faster. Some people love it, some people hate it, some people need just the right amount to keep from going insane with it (it beeps incessantly), other people learn to love the beep because the recognize the value it provides in swimming better & faster, with better form. Hope those ideas help. Does your stroke count significantly increase by the end of the 500?

Thanks for the information!  so much to think about with swimming.  I have not counted strokes for some time but tomorrow morning I'll most likely swim before work.  I'll see what the differential is from the beginning to end of 500 meters.  I don't think it's much but I know it is higher.
2010-10-27 9:16 PM

(I am distance dave, but that guy on the video is not me. He's a foot shorter than me and almost matches my stroke count).
I like the direction this is going- rate and length are both important, and neither can be ignored. Many swimmers try to jack the rate but in trying to rush the arm back, they drop the elbow and are less effective in the pulling phase, or kill the streamline and bounce around like in Shinji's first video.

The basic thing to think when making any stroke change that effects rate or length is "is it worth it?" What other things come about when you try to change one thing? I had one of the Navy SEAL instructors at a workshop last month and he came in insisting he had to fix his ugly scissors kick. We stopped his crossing up front and fixed his active streamlining and then he asked if we could finally fix the kick. We didn't have to- it was gone. The change of reducing a bit of tempo was well worth it, but it isn't always.

At Suzanne's occasional prodding, I'll try to come on more often and chat.
Oh- and I don't like racing personally, but at the insistence of my youth swimmers I've done a few meets over the last ten years. Even completely out of shape I still hit around 11 minutes flat in my 1000, holding 11 strokes every length except one. The one length I was 12 strokes was my slowest length. But I got schooled by a speedy teenager.

www.distancedave.com
2010-10-28 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3175041

Regular
Artesia, NM
jlennon - 2010-10-27 9:32 AM Some great suggestions here and I will use them (I'm awful at swimming and never even thought about counting my strokes in the pool). Question though that I thought about when reading through the thread--do you push off at the wall usually? It does feel like "cheating" and I know that when I am tired it seems as if I do more of a push off than when I am first starting my swim. Does anyone just touch the wall, push off with the arms and swim without the extra push fro the legs? Maybe I'll try that.... 

I have the luxury of having a hardly used indoor pool at my office, and i get VERY bored swimming my long swims back and forth. So on long days ill swim in squares on the outer edge of the pool with no push off to simulate open water more.

On drill days where i need to count laps its back and forth.
2010-10-28 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3176705

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
1stTimeTri - 2010-10-27 5:00 PM

good luck!

this is a real swim drill... maybe I worded it wrong? thus the laffing?

2010-10-28 1:07 PM
in reply to: #3179957

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
maxmattmick - 2010-10-28 12:19 PM
1stTimeTri - 2010-10-27 5:00 PM

good luck!

this is a real swim drill... maybe I worded it wrong? thus the laffing?

throw your mind in the gutter and read it again! hahaha
2010-10-28 1:10 PM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA
got it... I DID word it wrong...

took me a few reads though!

my mind hasn't seen the gutter in about fifteen years... just about how long I've been married!

2010-10-29 3:53 PM

User image

Regular
sounds like i need more guidance, coaching then i ever thought lol.. makes total sense tho to staye streamline and be effecient
2010-10-29 10:46 PM

User image

Had my first swim coach session ever last weekend with TI coach Kevin. I counted his strokes when he swam a couple laps: 9! His arms were moving slowly, but he was covering distance at a  really impressive pace. Granted, that was with a long kickoff.
2010-10-30 2:13 PM
in reply to: #3185821

User image

Veteran
Everett, WA
tyler777 - 2010-10-29 8:46 PM Had my first swim coach session ever last weekend with TI coach Kevin. I counted his strokes when he swam a couple laps: 9! His arms were moving slowly, but he was covering distance at a  really impressive pace. Granted, that was with a long kickoff.

I like SPL comparisons, really, I do. It's a great individual measure of how your streamlining and strength are progressing.

BUT
Comparing one person's SPL to another's is a little silly. There are many variables that impact whether the number is "high" or "low." Height, wingspan, flexibility, etc. and pace.

If your goal is to get to 9 strokes per length, you're just going to sacrifice some other aspect of your swimming that will make you a less well-rounded swimmer. You'll either glide too much, coast too much, kick too much, or do something else that's going to frustrate you when you wonder why you're not getting any faster.

Focus on yourself and your mechanics. Measure SPL once in a while to measure YOUR progress.

2010-11-01 1:09 PM
in reply to: #3184671

New user
l.. makes total sense tho to staye streamline and be effecient

This is why it is such a seductive, "common sense" notion, and therefore, why it is so often mis-understood, and mis-prescribed. Stroke length is only HALF of the equation for being fast:

Speed = Stroke_rate * Stroke_length

And really, gliding more will quite possibly slow you down, because the moment that you stop propelling with your arms, your velocity will begin to diminish. Even if you are an extraordinarily strong kicker, this fact will hold true. Also, even if you are a fantastic stream-liner, you can't overcome this factor.

The secret then, is to find that "sweet spot", where you glide to reserve some energy while accepting a loss of velocity such that the energy saved is worth more than the velocity lost. In my experience, this sweet spot is 1) very small, even for the greatest of swimmers, and 2) smaller still for those who are less proficient.

regards,
r.b.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strokes per length Rss Feed  

of 2