General Discussion Race Reports! » Halloween Hustle 5k Fun Run and Walk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Halloween Hustle 5k Fun Run and Walk - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Palatine, Illinois
United States
Adrenaline Sports Management
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 3s
Overall Rank = 308/469
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 21/46
Pre-race routine:

This was a little crazy because almost the entire family was going. Had to get myself, hubs, the teenager and the little dude out the door by 7:15. Got up at 6 and started rushing around getting dressed and eating breakfast. Thank God I packed the car the night before because even with that done we didn't leave until 7:20. Then had to turn around and go back twice before we left our street!
Event warmup:

The teenager was frazzled as this was her first real race ever so I spent most of my time walking her through the packet pick up and showing her where she'd start and how that worked. She then joined her team and they went off to stretch while I hit the potty line then did some stretches with hubs while pointing out all the neat costumes to the little dude in his stroller. A few minutes before start I left hubs in the back of the corral and met up with Ellie and her team who needed me to explain how the timing chips worked since it was a first ever race for most of them as well. Then the gun went off. I held Ellie back for about 30 seconds then we joined the crowd heading onto the course.
Run
  • 32m 3s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Since we'd started in the middle of the pack there was a bit of jostling with us passing and being passed so the first few blocks went by quickly. Hubs had started 30 seconds behind us but caught us just past the half mile mark and managed to snap a picture of Ellie on his cell phone as he went by.

Towards the end of the first mile she started to complain that she wanted to walk. In the second mile she was whining about a stitch in her side. By the time we hit the second mile marker she was begging me to let her walk. A quarter mile later she said she hated me and finally set her mind to actually running.

This was a really tough run for me. I was trying to guard my ankle, monitor our pace, keep my kid moving forward and cheerfully restrain my temper with her antics. At the end of the race when we could see the finish line I sent her off for her favorite part: sprinting to the finish. She flew past the ice cream cone and the man in the yellow hat pushing a double jogger to nab a solo finish line photo for her first race.

Regardless of her craptastic attitude and continual stream of complaints, without which I'm certain she would have saved enough oxygen to have propelled herself to a faster finish time by at least 5 minutes, I finished 7 seconds behind her with joyful tears in my eyes because I was so proud that she made it to the end.
What would you do differently?:

I wouldn't run with the teenager. Never. Again. Never.
Post race
Warm down:

Banana, Cliff Bar, water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A thirteen year old

Event comments:

I wish we would have had time to enjoy the post-race festivities but our schedule required us to be somewhere else immediately following the race. Definitely a race we'll do again.

Last updated: 2010-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:03 | 03.1 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/46
Overall: 0/469
Performance: Below average
Course: The race was a closed course on flat residential streets with lots of spectators enjoying the parade of costumed runners.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-10-31 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
Subject: Halloween Hustle 5k Fun Run and Walk

2010-10-31 11:28 PM
in reply to: #3187907

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Halloween Hustle 5k Fun Run and Walk
CONSMACKULATIONS!

I of course am MUCH more impressed you got the family TO the RACE and THROUGH the race than the race itself.
2010-11-01 9:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Nice work out there. I agree with Yanti!  Isn't there a handicap for steering a teen through the race course? Like...take 5 minutes off your finishing time??
2010-11-01 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Omg---Sounds like me running with my son, which btw, I don't do anymore. Congrats on surviving it all.

2010-11-02 10:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
That's awesome, Allison!  It sounds like it was tough, but you guys pushed through with aplomb.  Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Halloween Hustle 5k Fun Run and Walk Rss Feed