Trysport
25C / 77F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 21m 38s
Overall Rank = 14/65
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Slept in a bit, but Tom woke me up (thanks!) about 6. Showered, ate a bagel, gatorade, and granola bar. We were not expecting rain and didn't even think to bring rain gear. Brilliant.

Event warmup:

Not much- tried to stay dry. A bit of stretching.
Swim
  • 15m 44s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

A bit of a confusing start, but I was lucky enough to be ready for it. I swam pretty well, and spent most of the time "drafting" a guy who started near me- he had a nice IM wetsuit and a decent looking stroke, so I tried to stay on his feet. I don't think I got much draft, but I did kind of trust his sightlines and looked up much less than normal. We were separated at about 500m, but I noticed a couple of the women from the following wave near me so I tried to draft them; not much luck- those chicks were fast!
The last 75m or so was very shallow- I tried to swim but couldn't extend my arms, so I did a few porpises. That is a skill I have not perfected.
Overall, a good swim. This is the second tri I've been able to swim without the "why am I here?" thoughts- hopefully they will be like this from now on.
What would you do differently?:

Technique was a bit sloppy- I was focussed on drafting as it seemed to be working.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Time is estimate as there were no splits.
Good transition, nothing went wrong.
Bike
  • 40m 15s
  • 20 kms
  • 29.81 km/hr
Comments:

Raining steadily through the ride, but this did not seem to effect my ride time. When there's little traffic and you can go hard, the rain is not a big factor.
My ride was OK, nothing special. I was slow leaving town, but the hills were pretty steep and I decided to ease into this ride. Once I hit the highway, I picked up the pace. I was riding solo most of the way and lost my concentration a few times. I passed a few people along the way so I had a feeling my ride time was going to be OK, but I don't feel like I gave it all. I'm still a bit leery on the bike after Milton- not wanting to fry my legs.

I think I could push this pace a bit higher in a 20k race- I was riding like an OLY.
I should not have worn my glasses in the rain- couldn't see a damn thing, but I didn't take them off because I didn't want spray in my eyes. At least I should have used the lighter lenses.
Transition 2
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

Had my shoes off on the bike as usual, but I twisted my foot a bit when jumping off and my shoe flew off. Luckily, it landed at the feet of an OAT offical who picked it up for me.
Other than that, a very quick transition.
Run
  • 25m 40s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 08s  min/km
Comments:

I felt pretty good on the run, but the time wasn't great. I guess it is consistent with my training this year. My HR wasn't high (<170 most times I checked).
This was the first race I kept my form well throughout the race. I kept reminding myself to lift my knees.
I passed a guy at about 1km in my age group- he stayed within 25m or so most of the race, but I picked up my pace with 1km left and was able to fight him off. That was a great feeling.

I did not start my speedwork early enough this year so my legs are not giving me much speed. My HR is low enough, but the legs just don't have another gear. Hopefully 3 more weeks of speedwork will give me a better run split in PS in August.
Post race
Warm down:

None. Just grabbed some food. Met the Saunaking!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As in other races this year, my run was slower than last year and I attribute this to a lack of run intensity prior to July.

Event comments:

It was a fun race, and I would do it again. The Trysport people are working hard to get this series going and I will try and support their races.

This may be my only "podium" finish, and I must admit it felt great. My goal was to finish in the top 1/2 of my AG, but I was very surprised to win.

Last updated: 2005-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:44 | 750 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 20/65
Performance: Good
Suit: Yes
Course: Point to point from Salt Docks to Waubano beach
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 74C / 165F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:15 | 20 kms | 29.81 km/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 10/65
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Some hills in town, but generally rolling out and back course. Traffic was non-existent. Very nice.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:40 | 05 kms | 05m 08s  min/km
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 28/65
Performance: Average
Course: Out & back on packed gravel. No hills, nice run course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No