New Orleans, Louisiana
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 41s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 36/51
Pre-race routine:

First thing I want to cover is I ate a bagel and drank nothing but water the morning of the race. No gels, no Cliff bars, no Poweraid, and no Red Bull! I felt fine at the start of the race.

Event warmup:

Set up in transition and went for a scouting run to see where the swim was and the route back to the transition. This was a pretty long run from the beach to the trans...I would guess 200 yards but it is over a shelly beach, then grass, then up and down a rocky and painful levee.

Swim
  • 19m 33s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

750 meters looks longer with 2 foot waves. The gun went off and I have never seen such a crazy thing at a race than that. I just waited until all those nuts moved out some and a lane opened up for me. Even though I waited I caught up to the water peloton pretty easy. Probably because they were all fighting each other. I got kicked, bumped, grabbed by the shoulder and pulled back, and someone grabbed my ankle with enough force to loosen my timing chip...I stopped to check it at least 4 times to be sure it wasn't about to fall off.

When all that wasn't happening it was fun to swim in the 2 foot waves. Luckily, unlike Derek Zoolander, I am an ambi-turner so there is no trouble turning my head the opposite direction that the waves are coming.

I use this skill to get me all the way back to beach...
What would you do differently?:

Hmmmm, I really thought this went well. I would probably be more aggresive. It seems that I was trying to be to nice... Hell I even apologized to a couple people when I smacked them...and tried to pop up and go around people rather than just zip up the side.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

This was a pretty long run from the beach to the trans...I would guess 200 yards but it is over a shelly beach, then grass, then up and down a rocky and painful levee.

Other than the long run it was pretty uneventful. In my head I go over what I am about to do and think "here comes the bike!"

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 39s
  • 20.5 miles
  • 17.66 mile/hr
Comments:

The one small problem was the wind... luckily we had it at our backs half the time. Just enough stuff to make the 20 miles challenging and not boring. I ran out of water at mile 12ish. Usually I don't drink much on the bike but I am using the profile water bottle now and it rocks. I drank the whole thing that fast. Toward the end I started to think "Here comes the run!"... Something clicked and I had the Beatles song "Here comes the sun" ... Here comes the run, and I say, it's alright.....

Nada. Except maybe go faster. Well that and carry some more water. I felt good the whole time... got off the bike with great expectations for the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

I have to bitch here a little bit. The guy that was racked across from me put his bike right down the middle of my towel. I had to rack my bike then run around the other side and lift up his from tire to get to my running stuff he was pinning down. I guess I just need to be faster so people get to t2 AFTER I do.

I could have been out of T2 in under a minute if it weren't for that bike on my gear. It didn't make or break my race but I had to move another riders bike which kinda slowed me down mentally as I was trying not to drop it or break it.
Run
  • 35m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot now. About 90 degrees. I was a little behind on hydration and started to feel it at 1.5 miles. I walked/drank through all the water stations and slowed to a shuffle. I had no idea what my time was because I didn't wear a watch. I probably could have used a few calories here also but it wasn't critical. A slow sweaty run was what I did and got to the finish line.

Bring more water on the bike. And work on my run with a little heat training.
Post race
Warm down:

Um I was trying to cool off at the end ... not warm down. I got some crystal clear, mountain spring fresh ABITA water and went to my Expedition and turned on the AC. Then 10 minutes later back to mingle and eat some red beans and cookies. It was hot so people were starting to leave and I had a 2 hour drive home (which usually sucks) so I packed up and headed back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat hurt my run. I got passed by 3 people in my AG on the run on the way back in but didn't have it in me to try and catch them. I tried to focus on what I was doing as opposed to what everyone else was doing... It all worked out.

Event comments:

Notes: Will (rocko) didn't race. But he stayed to watch and yell. I didn't think it would be a big deal to have someone yelling for you but when I rode by and heard my name it was actually pretty cool.

I think I have a bruise on the bottom of my foot from those levy rocks (swim to T1 run).

I didn't get to see Darius.... I was looking for someone hobbling or wearing a cast or something but didn't.

I like time chips.

I like not wearing a watch.

I don't like 90 degree heat.

Didn't get to meet and BT members but at least I knew some were there.

Last updated: 2005-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:33 | 750 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 35/51
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: BRTri shorts
Course: Out, then a Right for the distance, then double back, then a Left to the beach. Kind of technical for me but fun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:32
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:09:39 | 20.5 miles | 17.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/51
Wind:
Course: The bike course was over all great. Lots of room to ride, a couple of inclines that I got out of the saddle to climb (that was fun :) ), Down hills that weren't scary, turn arounds were large safe turns. Had some rough patches and a few potential tire busters but by and large a very nice road to ride on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:35:32 | 03.1 miles | 11m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/51
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. 1/10th was shaded but it had some small hilly sections but lots of room to run as most of it was on a road.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-08-01 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Subject: Abitaman #3

2005-08-01 1:18 PM
in reply to: #212538

Expert
New Orleans, LA
Subject: RE: Abitaman #3
Biseman - 2005-08-01 10:23 AM
2005-08-01 1:19 PM

Expert
New Orleans, LA

Biseman - 2005-08-01 10:23 AM

Great race! I was cheering for all the BRTri shorted people I saw, so I probably cheered for you!

2005-08-01 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denham Springs
Thanks for the cheering its always nice to hear!

2005-08-01 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Nice race and you reported well. I hate to admit this but I really enjoyed the brutality of the swim.
2005-08-03 12:18 PM
in reply to: #213234

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Orleans, LA
Good race and report.  We will see you at Cajuman!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Abitaman #3 Rss Feed