United States
Out Loud Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 36m 9s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Not much routine here. I didn't get my usual breakfast, but a nice substitute instead - a chocolate chip pancake, hashbrowns, 1 slice of bacon, OJ and water.
Event warmup:

I did a short 10 minute easy run on the offroad part of the course, then back to transition because I forgot to leave my arm warmers.
Swim
  • 40m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't get a warm-up swim in so as soon as I got deep enough into the water I plunged my face down to get acclimated as quickly as possible. The water wasn't too bad. Maybe the late afternoon practice swim the day before helped. My time was MOP at best, but this was a really good swim for me. It was only around 2 minutes more than my oly swims.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really. Practice sighting more since I got off course coming out of the marina. It WAS hard to sight with the fog hanging on the water though.
Transition 1
  • 04m 59s
Comments:

With 3 hours of riding in the cold ahead of me, I sacrificed an extra few minutes in T1 to towel off, put on my dry jersey and some arm warmers in the effort to stay warm.

Bike
  • 3h 16m 35s
  • 59 miles
  • 18.01 mile/hr
Comments:

I hate to think how cold it would have been if I hadn't taken time in T1 to dry off and prepare for the lower temperature. It took nearly 30 miles of riding before I thawed out. I don't think it hindered my performance because I was able to stick with my race plan.

More hill training of course. That and more run training so I can go harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I kept my bike shoes on to keep the grass from sticking to my feet and that slowed me down getting off of the bike. I also gave a few seconds by putting my race belt on in transition instead of just grabbing it and donning it on the run.

Remember to put race belt on while running.
Run
  • 2h 32m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really good at the start. Needing to pee helped me keep my pace down in the first mile when I found a porta-potty. The first 8 miles went right with the plan. Then my stomach started to cramp and my left foot was hurting really bad. I took a salt tab, a full cup of Gatorade and a gel at the next aid station and it started to feel better. In the meantime I had 2 miles of walk/run with too much walk. I finally felt good with 1 mile to go and got back near my planned pace, but the damage was already done.

Quit missing key run workouts in my training plan. And figure out my nutrition to prevent stomach issues.
Post race

Last updated: 2010-09-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex3 Fullsuit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:59
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:16:35 | 59 miles | 18.01 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:32:44 | 13.1 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-11-14 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
Subject: Iron Star Triathlon

2010-11-14 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3210201

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Subject: RE: Iron Star Triathlon
hey rik!
good seein you out there on the course...way to hang in there after stomach cramps and foot pain...it was a cold one out there on the bike no doubt....crossing the finish line is a huge success...we got a lot more races to go

...lets do some training together soon...

Jb
2010-11-22 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3210334

User image

Expert
Texas (Houston area)
Subject: RE: Iron Star Triathlon
jasonwb - 2010-11-14 2:29 PM hey rik!
good seein you out there on the course...way to hang in there after stomach cramps and foot pain...it was a cold one out there on the bike no doubt....crossing the finish line is a huge success...we got a lot more races to go

...lets do some training together soon...

Jb

Maybe if I train some with you I'll get as fast as you are. Wild how you recognized me on the course, especially since we've never met in person before then.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed