United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 42s
Overall Rank = 27/663
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/46
Pre-race routine:

This was another race I was using as a benchmark to see how my run specific training has been going. The goal here was to go Sub 40...this was not happening today as I will explain.

Let's back up. Few days prior to this race, I have been getting this soreness in my abdomen. Nothing too bad but it was annoying while running. So I decided to change up my routine a bit and add some extra rest into the days leading up to the race. I think this negatively affected me. I didn't run at all on Thursday because of scheduling conflicts. I did run 5 miles on Friday morning and that was it until the race. Also, the night before the race, I stayed up later than normal and was standing around at an art exhibit all night. That didn't help either. Dinner on Saturday night was just a couple of pieces of pizza...not great.
Event warmup:

Morning of the race, got up around 6am, had my standard pre race meal and got down to the races around 730am. The 5k race was first to go at 8am and then the 10k at 9am.

At about 830am I started my warm up of jogging and some striders at race pace. I already felt flat and tired quickly. I warmed up for about 10 minutes and headed to the line.

Weather would be another problem as you will see.
Run
  • 42m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Lined up in the front row with my good friend and run club coach Lizzie Brenkus. She is an exceptional runner but has been suffering from some ailments over the last few weeks since she returned from Kona. My initial plan was to try and stay with her for as long as I could. She holds the female course record at 38:10, so I knew at some point she would drop me.

We took off and the start is straight uphill for about a tenth of a mile. Felt ok running out of the blocks.

Besides staying with Lizzie, I did have a plan of my own. Run the first mile at or about 6min flat. Mostly downhill and that would put some time in the bank for my goal of 6:26 when the course turned back uphill. Then tough it out and do the same thing on the second lap.

First mile I felt ok. I pulled ahead of Lizzie, but she was breathing so hard, I could hear her back there and keep tabs on her. I purposely slowed down to try and hit my pace and not go out too fast. First mile clicked off at 5:59...perfect. Second mile, I knew things were not going to go well. I started to get tired. Legs again felt flat, no power or energy at all. I tried to keep the pace up but started to slow. Second mile went by at 6:27. At this point, I wasn't giving up on the goal yet. I may settle in and get some energy.

The weather was starting to take its toll. It was hot and windy and DRY. My mouth was getting so dry and I couldn't generate any saliva to water it down. At about Mile 2.5, Lizzie came storming by in another gear. She was on the gas and I just let her go. First aid station came and I was glad to get some water.

There was no mile marker for 3 or 6 so I didn't get exact splits. I clicked my watch at mile 4 at 14:20 for mile 3 and 4 combined. Considering the huge hill leading back to the turn around and finish I must have come through halfway at about just over 20 minutes. Not too bad for how shitty I felt. Then the wheels really came off.

First mental error...coming out of the turn around was another aid station..and I missed it like a jackass. I really needed the water and was having a tough time breathing in the dry air. Headed back up the hill and my pace started to drop off. As I mentioned I came through Mile 4 at 14:20...my best guess because of the make up of the course is that was something like Mile 3 at 7:30 or so and Mile 4 at 6:50. I kept getting passed by people so that sucked as well.

For the rest of the race I was in hold on mode. Mile 5 was 7:13..sucks and the last 1.2 was at 8:41 which is basically the same pace of 7:13. The last 1/4 mile I was passed and I was determined to use good race strategy to beat this guy. So I stuck on his butt till about the last 200 meters and went blowing by him and held him off till the finish.

What would you do differently?:

Lots. see above...lol
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing....I found Lizzie only to find out that she dropped out after the first loop. She was coughing uncontrollably and had to stop...it was her first DNF ever.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Couple things. 1. There is NO WAY I was going sub 40 on that course on this day. Wasn't going to happen. I'm simply not there yet. I definitely think I could run a sub 40 10K right now on a flatter course and under better conditions, but it wasn't happening today.

I run this course all the time and I know how difficult it can be. I was talking to my friend and pro triathlete Jim Lubinski who ran both the 5K and 10k and he said you could easily add 1 minute/5k to your time on this course...which I agree with.

That's no excuse for how I felt though. I didn't come into this race prepared to do my best. I guess that is sort of ok as I'm in the middle of training and not really focusing on races...but I always like to do my best.

Event comments:

I have my first half mary on Dec 5th in Las Vegas. Hoping to do well there and I'll be training hard to do that.

Last updated: 2010-07-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:42 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/46
Overall: 0/663
Performance: Average
Course: This course is tough to say the least. Very hilly with very little rest. By that I mean the downhills are sharp and steep and the uphills are LONG and gradual. So it is much more of an up hill course. Two Loops for the 10K.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-15 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: Calabasas Classic

2010-11-15 12:54 PM
in reply to: #3211644

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Calabasas Classic
One very cool thing about this race was that Macca and Terenzo were there screwing around in the 5k and signing autographs later. I hung out with them for a little bit...extremely cool guys. Macca was nursing quit the hang over....lol.

Here are some photos of Ashley, Terenzo and Macca.....Terenzo and Macca ran the 5k, or jogged the 5K, in about 22:30 or so. Oh and Ashley is officially in love with Macca and is leaving me for him....lol

2010-11-17 11:00 AM
in reply to: #3211644

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Calabasas Classic
Chalk it up to a learning day I guess. We all have those. Great time considering though and must have been good fun with Macca in the mix!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Calabasas Classic Rss Feed