Trievents
25C / 77F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 49s
Overall Rank = 588/1928
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Packed & ready the night before. Got up at 6am. Fed Jacob. Breakfast was porridge, drank a coffee on the way down. I'd wanted to catch the train but our crappy public transport system would have got me there at 7.23am at the earliest, my wave was going off at 7.35am and I didn't want to cut it that fine just in case. Sef dropped me off at the top of St George's Tce. Went to the loo. Lined up.
Event warmup:

Gentle cycle down the Tce to the foreshore.
Bike
  • 1h 42m 49s
  • 53 kms
  • 30.93 km/hr
Comments:

I love this race. I do it every year, had to miss out last year because I was 5 months pregnant! I seeded myself correctly in the 30-35 kmhr group, but was annoyed at all the slower people who we're seeded further back but moved up into our group at the start of the race. There were people on mountain bikes and even on fixed gear bikes. Please! All that ends up happening is you have to spend the first 5k overtaking everyone. Anyway, once that was over, I was off! I totally hammered the first half of the ride, got to the bridge across the river in Fremantle within 45 mins at was at the half way point by 50 mins. Along the way I chatted to a guy wearing a Polish cycling jersey (I want one!) and a guy from Sef's work, I recognised his Ausenco knicks. Anyway after I got to the half way point I really started to feel knackered. Probably because I've only been doing 25-30k rides for the past few months. It was also super humid out there under heavy, thunderstormy skies. I ate a muesli bar and focused on drinking more and felt a bit better. I'd managed to average 30k/hr until that point and didn't think I could hold it, but I must have because I finished with a 30k/hr average. It was a lot harder though after that half way mark! I concentrated on finding people to draft off to help me along. A lot of people would beat me on the uphill, but I would beat them on the downhill & flat. I used aero position where I could. Towards the end I realised I may beat my time from 2008 so I pushed as hard as I could. As I got onto Riverside Drive about 500m from the finish, a guy I'd been playing cat & mouse with since the half way point said to me "lets race to the end" so I totally hammered it and left him in the dust! Then I apologised, I had aero and he didn't so I had an unfair advantage ;-)
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot. Train more? How much faster can I get? :)
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't hang around as needed to get home to the hubby & son. Gentle cycle to the train station, caught the train home, gentle cycle home from our local station.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PB time! I get better every time I do this. 2006 2:18, 2007 2:05, 2008 1:49, 2009 didn't do it, was pregnant LOL. I haven't been doing a whole amount of training so I'm super happy. I could always train more of course. I'm doing what I can considering I have an 8 month old baby!!!

Some hill training and weight loss would probably both make a big difference. Hills are my weakness.

Event comments:

Like the terminator, I'LL BE BACK!!! ;-)

Last updated: 2010-09-11 12:00 AM
Biking
01:42:49 | 53 kms | 30.93 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1928
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Ride from Perth to Fremantle and then back again up the other side of the river.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-11-21 12:38 AM

User image

Master
Perth, Australia
Subject: The Great Bike Ride

2010-11-21 4:37 AM
in reply to: #3219896

User image

Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: The Great Bike Ride
Damn, that's a great ride Magda!  Having Jacob has made you into speedy woman!
Great result on the PB - and I'm sure there's more to come now....
2010-11-21 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne

Congrats on the PB. That is one super speedy ride!

The 90km at Busso will fly.

2010-11-22 12:30 AM

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
wow Magda, what an awesome time, huge congrats on the PB!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Great Bike Ride Rss Feed