Ohio River Road Runners Club
50sF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 41m 16s
Overall Rank = 804/4650
Age Group = Chicks 25-29
Age Group Rank = 34/308
Pre-race routine:

Rolled out of bed, looked at the window and let out an audible whine...dang it raining...still. Got dressed and called the babysitter to make sure she was on the way up. Made myself a piece of Peanut Butter Toast, and this was totally wrong, I had no cliff bar - this messed with my pre-race ju-ju. I just counted and including the Turkey Trot between running races, splash n dashes and triathlons I've done 18 races this year and before every single one of them I had eaten a cliff bar - until this race...I should know better then to screw with my pre-race routine.
Event warmup:

Arrived around 7:15 and found a close place to park. Sat in the car until about 20 minutes before the race start then got out and went and waited in line for the porta potty (yuck - but when you gotta pee, you gotta pee). Walked over to the starting area and found the pace area I thought I should be in. Talked to a few of the folks around me while I tried to move in place.
Run
  • 41m 16s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off way too fast - opps. I had no concept of pacing and apparently and I paid for it at mile 3 when the wheels started to come off and I fell apart.

Mile one 7:40,
Mile 2: 15:02,
Mile 3: 24:47
Mile 4: 33:24,
Mile 5: 41:16.

I had high ambitions, of course these were predicated on all of the other things I have done this season, but I didn't take into account the fact that I have been a complete slacker over the last three weeks, so I set a high goal and I missed it. Probably a good lessson in the fact that I can't be a slacker and expect to get faster.
What would you do differently?:

Uhhhh, maybe not be such a slacker and figure out how to pace better. I really can't complain too much though as this was still a huge PR for this race beating my time last year by over 6 minutes. It's really nice to sit back and reflect on how much things can change in a year and I mean that for all areas of my life. Even though I missed my ambitious goal (which I even knew was a little too ambitious) I had a good time. Saw some friends there and got a nice run in before going to shove my face full of Thanksgiving carb-loading hell.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around got some water, cut the line for food and talked to some friends and then hit the road so that I could get home, get showered, and get Little M and I packed up so we could hit the road to spend Thanksgiving with my Aunt, Uncle, Grandma and cousins. The 2 hour and 10 minute drive was well worth it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a slacker.

Event comments:

Good Job ORRRC

Last updated: 2010-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:41:16 | 05 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/308
Overall: 804/4650
Performance: Average
Course: All flat course that left the downtown section of the Burg and went out past the baseball fields where you turned around and came back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes