General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bare shoulders?? Shocking!!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2010-12-04 1:44 AM
in reply to: #3236176

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Bare shoulders?? Shocking!!!!

Having never stepped in a gym before November I think i could possibly be the one they are refering to be*uncomfortable*  however I'm not - in fact what you wear in a gym doesn't matter. If I'm doing a longer cycle I do look around and sometimes have a laugh to myself with what people are doing/wearing  (notice not at them just to myself!) such as:

1. The trio who goes in every day big, medium and skinnny - sounds harsh but they look really silly together and just chat and not do a lot - the bigger one wears skin tight top and bottom with proper budlges, the smaller ones wear really baggy clothes.

2. The *tough* guy who thinks he's so hard in the free weights section yet even as a novice you can see he's making classic gym mistakes. Which by the way he wheres a tight t-shirt and is definatly a guy who could make you feel unfit.

3. The lady who for whatever reason wears shorts which ride around her hips and gets lower and lower as she's running.

To me who cares what you wear to the gym - and inside some people if they have the time probably also laugh at me. Its not to be nasty just to keep you going!

At the end of the day if your truly going to the gym to get a decent work out and improve your fitness - you won't let other people's clothes affect how well you do!

Again apologies if it doesn't go into pretty paragraphs I still haven't quite figured out my formatting.

2010-12-04 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3236294

User image

New Haven, CT
if i cant work out in a ripped tank top with my zubaz, while looking in the mirror while pumping up my guns (ending each set with a kiss to the bicep) and yelling "I'm the man", well I am just not joining that gym.
2010-12-04 7:29 AM
in reply to: #3236384

Regular
jsklarz - 2010-12-04 8:22 AM

if i cant work out in a ripped tank top with my zubaz, while looking in the mirror while pumping up my guns (ending each set with a kiss to the bicep) and yelling "I'm the man", well I am just not joining that gym.

LOL. Exactly my sentiments
2010-12-04 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ

I think no tanks is a little extreme for a gym, especially one with a pool ... but it is simply an economic decision for the gym management. They are probably just tying to tap into what they see as ?an underserved market. Disposable income is probably proportional to % body-fat in this country, unfortunately.  And I also think that newbs perceive this potential flesh-intimidation factor way to?o? much on the front end ... once they start, they'd probably find it to be a non-issue .... but the gym's gotta get them in the door in the first place? ?because.... the real way for a gym to make money is sign up a lot of January resolutioners, with big plans and big contracts,?? who then don't end up using the facillity for more than a a few dozen times during the rest of the year? ... that's just how it works?...?
?? 
?
?

2010-12-04 9:02 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
That pretty much excludes anything you can buy at Lululemon!  My gym has a small pool - I wouldn't let that be a show stopper but the dress code - I get the 'must wear running shoes' but that's too much!
2010-12-04 9:16 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
The interesting thing about their "no shoulders" rule, is that in the women's only section of the gym I would be allowed to wear whatever I chose.
So the argument that this rule is to make  less fit members feel less intimidated pretty much goes out the window. Clearly this has to do with men and women and how the gym perceives the relationship between them. 

2010-12-04 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3236211

User image

jmk-brooklyn - 2010-12-03 8:46 PM Is it Planet Fitness? They have some rules to make sure everyone is "comfortable", including something they call a "Lunk Alarm" that blares and flashes like a fire engine whenever someone behaves like a "Lunk". An article says they define a as this: "Lunk , n, [slang], One who Grunts, Drops Weights, or JUDGES" Apparently, they don't have an irony alarm.

Ha ha Planet Fitness. When I was in Boston I was part of that gym...I love their PC quotes..."the judgement free zone." The best thing was the 15/month price! Being part of NYSC where the cost is much higher.
2010-12-04 9:30 AM

Lafayette, LA.
aquagirl - 2010-12-03 8:00 PM I thought I would check out the new gym that just opened up nearby. Gorgeous huge facility.
I asked for a tour and she began by showing me the too small pool. Too bad. Oh well......show me the rest of the gym while I am here.
She shows me the state of the art machines in a beautiful, vast, light filled setting. Yeah,  maybe I can just overlook the small pool? I was intrigued.
Until.......she tells me about the dress code. Huh? No tank tops or any such garment. T shirts MUST be worn. She proceeded to tell me this was so that all the members can feel "comfortable". They did not want certain "attitudes" developing, did not want members that are less fit to feel intimidated, did not want "big guys" in muscle shirts etc .

Personally, this is a deal breaker. I overheat VERY easily beacuse I do not sweat .
I always end up taking off my shocking , unacceptable tank top and just running in my equally shocking sports bra!

What do you think of this policy?
Does anybody belong to a gym with a dress code?

Discuss.

Please excuse me if I'm wrong but weren't you the one in a thread a while back that made a statement something like "C'mon guys, unless you have a Brad Pitt body no speedos allowed".  So you wish to make rules for dress codes at a race but can't deal with dress codes at a business establishment? 
2010-12-04 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
Anybody remember Q Sports Clubs back in the 90's with their turquoise accents and doors?  Most were bought out by 24 Hour Fitness or Bally.  Anyway, they had the same deal.  Had to have sleeves, no leotards, and you had to wear shorts of a certain length, no bike style shorts.
Now this was back in the day when women wore leotards with bike shorts or capris underneath. 
A friend of mine belonged and I visitied, it was very nice but not my style, I stuck with Bally's.
2010-12-04 10:43 AM

User image

Master
Although I like the idea of no judging, I think the dress code thing is a little silly.
I also understand the no ripped clothes thing, as a gym IS trying to present an image to its clients.

Trying to influence behavior through dress code is an old idea. However, in the case of a gym, it is hard to do.

It takes time and effort to build a culture.
2010-12-04 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Centennial, CO
This thread reminds me of two guys I once saw in the gym. They both wore tights and the 80's style string tanks. They were big guys (muscular), but when one was getting ready to do a set the other would YELL...and I mean yell at the beginning of the set to motivate the other guy.  "C'mon man, this is you. F*&^ it up!  F*&^ it up! You're huge. Do it!!"   Yah...it was hilarious.

2010-12-04 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3236446

User image

Master
jsselle - 2010-12-04 9:00 AM

Disposable income is probably proportional to % body-fat in this country, unfortunately. 
??

If you're talking the US the relationship is more likely opposite of what you think.  Obesity is a bigger problem amongst the poor than the rich.  Though there certainly isn't any shortage of fat cells on the top end.

Personally those rules that restrict the ability of women to be scantily clad should be revised immediately.  In fact, they should be illegal.

2010-12-04 11:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
The Planet Fitness near me won't let me wear a bandanna.  I was a bit upset about this as it prevents sweat from dripping down my face.  My sister wrote a letter to the management about it but, as expected, nothing came of that.  A week later I saw an overweight older woman with a bandanna on and the same person working didn't say a thing to her.

I think the lunk alarm is funny - I've never seen it go off, though.  My friend said it went off on him  because he dropped a 30lb dumbell or something - he is so far from a lunk.  Sometimes I want to pick up a 5lb weight and drop it to see if they set off the lunk alarm for me.  I have a theory that they enforce some rules based on how fit a person appears.  I can't wear a bandanna because I'm thin, fit, and wearing a tank top, but a very overweight older woman dressed in sweats can.  A man who drops a weight sets off the lunk alarm but a young thin girl drops a weight and no lunk alarm - hmmmm  Just a theory.  I deal with the codes because I like that the gym is open 24 hours and when I get up at 3am I need a place to run :-)
2010-12-04 11:27 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

I think such a dress code is a little silly, and as was said earlier is an extension of the "we don't keep score because it makes people feel bad" attitude.  Trying to restrict person A's clothing so person B won't feel bad by comparison?  Grow up.  Or suck it up buttercup.

I like my gym.  I've had relatively few experience like the many horror stories here about how other members behave and how the people who run the gym behave and various rules.

My gym is huge and aims at the high-end market. It has various "Centers" (aquatics, fitness, free weight, tennis, basketball pavilion, pilates, spinning, yoga, squash, group fitness, etc.   Each of them have slightly different rules that are appropriate, but "athletic attire", shoes not sandals, and shirts pretty much cover the basics.  Swimsuits for the pools, no cut-offs.  No perspiration soaked clothes in the Bistro or Cafe.  Bicycle clothing or other tight fitting clothing on the spin bikes.  Non marking shoes on the courts.

If you're particularly loud in one of the weight areas, you'll get asked to keep it down.  None of the yelling and grunting stuff.

There is a "women's fitness center" for those women who for whatever reason don't want to work out alongside men. 

Pretty much everything stays civil and genteel without going overboard into pretentious.  Nobody seems to wear too extreme clothing; perhaps they got spoken to one time they did or perhaps they got the message by looking around. 

You'll see plenty of women running on the treadmills in sports bras or tank tops.  No objections.  Same in some of the more active group fitness classes or wherever such clothing is appropriate.

Once I saw a guy get told to put his shirt back on when running on a treadmill.  I was running nearby and when he took off his shirt, people were staring at him like he suddently grew antenna.  Not acceptable.

Edited by brucemorgan 2010-12-04 11:37 AM
2010-12-04 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
wouldn't work out there, I never wear sleeves...they just get in the way. sounds like they're marketing the gym to only out of shape people
2010-12-04 12:12 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
I never wear tank tops and I wouldn't work out there simply because it's a silly "rule". I'd also make it a point to tell them you aren't joining and why. 

2010-12-04 12:56 PM

User image

New user
I am not a muscle head, but that would not be the gym for me. No way!
2010-12-04 1:31 PM
in reply to: #3236474

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
kritra - 2010-12-04 10:30 AM
aquagirl - 2010-12-03 8:00 PM I thought I would check out the new gym that just opened up nearby. Gorgeous huge facility.
I asked for a tour and she began by showing me the too small pool. Too bad. Oh well......show me the rest of the gym while I am here.
She shows me the state of the art machines in a beautiful, vast, light filled setting. Yeah,  maybe I can just overlook the small pool? I was intrigued.
Until.......she tells me about the dress code. Huh? No tank tops or any such garment. T shirts MUST be worn. She proceeded to tell me this was so that all the members can feel "comfortable". They did not want certain "attitudes" developing, did not want members that are less fit to feel intimidated, did not want "big guys" in muscle shirts etc .

Personally, this is a deal breaker. I overheat VERY easily beacuse I do not sweat .
I always end up taking off my shocking , unacceptable tank top and just running in my equally shocking sports bra!

What do you think of this policy?
Does anybody belong to a gym with a dress code?

Discuss.

Please excuse me if I'm wrong but weren't you the one in a thread a while back that made a statement something like "C'mon guys, unless you have a Brad Pitt body no speedos allowed".  So you wish to make rules for dress codes at a race but can't deal with dress codes at a business establishment? 

Ummmmm......I do not believe I said such a thing. 

And I do not wish to make rules for dress codes anywhere, actually.
I am merely relating my experience with this establishment and asking people to discuss how they feel about such a policy. Simple.  
2010-12-04 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
When my gym was the Q they had that same dress policy with the same rationale but it was also about hygene.

As the Q went away and it became 24 Horu Fitness, tank top swere allowed.

The main thing I noticed was an increase in B.O.  I was surprised that sleeves made that much of a difference, but they did.
2010-12-05 10:27 AM

User image

Master
...and the mens' swimsuit standards...

(swimsuit.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
swimsuit.jpg (10KB - 4 downloads)
2010-12-05 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW. That's nuts! Never heard of something like that. Obviously, it's a gym that caters to a certain clientele... not the general population. I would never join a gym like that.

2010-12-05 1:51 PM
in reply to: #3237164

User image

New Haven, CT
my arms are so big and ripped my sleeves just fall off. 

Seriously, I could could care less what people where in the gym.  However, since we are not in a "judgment free zone" (snerk): (1) for woman I always believe less is more   (2) a tank top is not a good look for an adult male, not for brad pitt, not for me. 

off to work guns and calves for the 12 time this week.
2010-12-05 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3237164

User image

New Haven, CT
monkeyboy64 - 2010-12-05 11:27 AM ...and the mens' swimsuit standards...

take the arms off and you have a trisuit... awesome mustache.
2010-12-05 1:57 PM
in reply to: #3236225

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Photo Mike - 2010-12-03 8:07 PM I'm in sweat pants and a T-shirt when I work out. I never wear shorts. No one needs to see any more of me than necessary.

We live in a very conservative part of the country. While I appreciate the female form, it's easier and less distracting for everyone to wear appropriate clothes.

If you're distracted from your workout by someone dressed to stay cool, then you have a problem. Set up a home gym if it's such a problem.
2010-12-05 3:35 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Ours has the same policy. When I am in the weight room, I comply and wear a short sleeve shirt. If I am using the cardio equipment, I will wear a tank top or shimmel. I'd say about 90% of the time, the staff lets it go.

Really, the only time anyone says anything is A) when they train in new staff...the old staff has to show them the rules, and then the new folks want to make a good impression or B)around the holidays/New Year's Resolution time.

It's really not that big of a deal. I run outside, so when I get back in, I just put on a shirt to use the weights. If I am using the ET, I can survive in a shimmel. For the infrequent times they have told me to wear a shirt...I usually put it on, and then roll up the sleeves and hike up the midriff :p

Edited by mmrocker13 2010-12-05 3:42 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bare shoulders?? Shocking!!!! Rss Feed  

of 3