General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 23s
Overall Rank = 198/19169
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 22/1327
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5am...had my standard breakfast and headed down to the race. It was about a 20 minute drive from my house here in Vegas. Parked at Luxor and Ashley and I walked to the start. I was in the 1st corral.
Event warmup:

No running. Just dynamic stretching and some very light static stretching on my abdomen and groin...just to get them loose.
Run
  • 1h 30m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal for this race was to run smart. By that, I mean start at a realistic pace I felt I could hold for the entire race. I always have a habit of starting too fast in running races. I was going to try and really not pay attention to those around me and run my own race.

The course is basically flat, but it is downhill going North and then slightly uphill coming back South.

We took off and I could immediately tell my legs felt great. They just felt solid with no fatigue in them. First two miles were super easy...felt like I was going WAY too slow. Turned out both miles were 6:37, 6:36. I was really happy with that pace based on my goals of sub 7 min. I knew we were going slightly downhill and thought the first few miles might be a tad fast...and that would be ok.

Went through 5k at 21:06 and felt great. No aid up to this point. Joined up with a girl and we were running the exact same pace (although she was doing the full). We ran together until the turn around and I picked up the intensity a little to cope with the slight incline of the course in order to keep my pace the same and I seemed to drop her.

At mile 7 I took my gel at the request of my coach, as well as some water. I got one more water at about mile 10 and that was it.

Miles were clicking off like clockwork:

Mile 3 6:52
Mile 4 6:48
Mile 5 6:56
Mile 6 6:51
Mile 7 6:57
Mile 8 6:53
Mile 9 6:50
Mile 10 6:38
Mile 11 7:21
Mile 12 6:00
Mile 13 7:04

Obviously there was a Garmin issue at Mile 11 and 12...

I went through 10K at 42:29 and was super pleased with that. Around that same time my friend Blue was leading the 3:00 pace group for the full Mary. I decided to run with them, or at least try to, because that was the pace I was shooting...actually it was slightly faster and they slowly worked away from me towards the last few miles.

I tried to give the last 5K a go and you can see the push at mile 10 but the course took an uphill incline and I started to get really tired at about mile 11. The last two miles were tough...and I must say, they were the only tough part of the race. I guess that is a good sign of good pacing.

My Garmin had the course being long at 13.29...but who knows as the Garmin did flip out and could be wrong. Doesn't matter. Finished very strong and only took maybe a minute to start felling better.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'm excited that I executed this race so well being my first half. Now the goal is to continue to work on the run and be able to run this time in a Half Ironman.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching but felt sooo good. No soreness at all...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

The bands were awesome and really helped to break up the monotony. Definitely be back next year

Last updated: 2010-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:30:23 | 13.1 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/1327
Overall: 1327/19169
Performance: Good
Course: Basically flat out and back down the Las Vegas Strip
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-12-05 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon

2010-12-06 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3237667

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon
Very well done sir!  You should be very happy with the execution and your results!!!  It sounds like pace was just about perfect for you and I'm glad you were able to stay disciplined at the beginning of the race.  I'm sure that was a big reason you were able to sustain your pace.  Your training is definitely paying off.  Congrats!
2010-12-07 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Very nicely executed. You ran a smart race and had a very solid result. WTG!
2010-12-09 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Nice Work! Smart race. You got some quick legs

TJ
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Rss Feed