General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 25m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up, got dressed, and ate a bowl of cereal and drank a bottle of water. Jamie picked me up and we drove to Mandalay Bay where the starting line was.
Event warmup:

There were a ton of people and we were all the way back in corral 29. So we got in line and had to wait about 45 mins before being able to start the race. So it wasn't really possible to warm up like we usually do by doing a short jog around the area. We figured that our 1st mile would be our warm up. We pretty much just hung out and made friends with the other people in our corral to distract ourselves from thinking about the race. The race was was being shown on the news which was playing on the huge billboard next to Mandalay Bay. So we watched the other waves started and slowly inched forward. As we got closer to the starting line, we could hear the band playing. Then we fianlly got to the starting line and our horn went off and we started.
Run
  • 2h 25m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

At little background about our corral. When I registered, I put down 2:30 as my expected finishing time. But Jamie put down 3:00. So we were assigned to different corrals. Obviously, we wanted to run the race togther since that had been the plan from day 1, so just started with Jamie in her corral since the race officials didn't care if you moved to a slower corral at the last minute.
So when we started, we were dodging people left and right because we were having to get around all the walkers and slower joggers. We though it would spread out after a few minutes, but the race was so huge that we were dodging people the entire 13.1 miles. Thankfully, there were only a few times that we got truly stuck behind people for several seconds. Because it was so crowded, I was worried I would lose Jamie, but we kept finding each other. It was basically impossible to run side by side of more than a few seconds. So we both put in our headphones and just tried to keep an eye on eachother. Even with all that, we still managed to say a few words to each other. Here is what the conversation sounded like around mile 2.
Me (as we pass Treasure Island): "Wow! Look Gilley's is back (cowboy bar).I thought that place got imploded with the Frontier."
Jamie: "Looks like they put a new one in TI. We should go there sometime."
Me: Definately.
As you can see, we were feeling good and finished the 1st 5K in 32 mins which was right on pace for us.
When we got to the Sahara around mile 5, we stopped and got water. We stopped again around the 10K mark and took some GU and Gatorade. We were at 1:08, again a good pace for us. The turn around snaked through downtown Vegas along Fremont street and back onto the Strip. We were going strong at this point and the conversation sounded like this at mile 7.
Jamie: "This is so much easier than running around your neighborhood. It's totally flat."
Me: "Yeah, and there's no dogs chasing us either. We're totally doing this in under 2:30".

We stayed in this jolly, confident mood until about mile 10. This is where it stopped being so fun. Here is what the conversation sounded like around mile 11.
Jamie: "Every joint in my body hurts."
Me: "I'm pretty sure my left foot is bleeding"
But we kept running and once we hit the Luxor, Jamie became possessed and started picking up the pace. I just hung on and followed her, feeling like my legs were going to fall off. The last tenths of the last mile were the hardest.
We crossed the finish line together and beat our goal time of 2:30.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe start in a faster corral. We had to dodge a lot of people, but maybe that was unavoisable in a race this big.
Other than that nothing. It was a good first HM and I hope next year I can go in with more miles on my legs.
Post race
Warm down:

Brett Michaels was playing at the finsh line. So we stayed for while. When they announced he was coming on stage, a lady in the crowded asked, "Is he some rock and roll guy?" Cracked me up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always, just a need to train more.

Event comments:

Great race. Very well organized and smooth running.

Last updated: 2010-12-05 12:00 AM
Running
02:25:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Awesome. The flatest land in Vegas! not a hill on the Strip. It was also very cool to run on the Strip and through downtown Vegas. There were bands playing along the entire course which also made it interesting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-12-06 12:26 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon

2010-12-06 1:06 AM
in reply to: #3237763

User image

Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon
Great job jackie
2010-12-06 4:48 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Nice job!  Those big races make for a lot of distraction.  The crowd for my first HM was the same as this one was for you and it does get better when you are placed in the right corral. 

It sounds like you held on through the pain those last couple of miles.  And, you will do much better when you chose to do another one.  You have a better feel for how the race is done and you'll have more experience.  Good job!

2010-12-06 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3237789

User image

Champion
great job and i'm glad you got to have a good race and weather for your first!
It's a fun distance and i cannot wait to see how you do next time around.
2010-12-06 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Yeah Jackie!  Sounded like you had fun.  I will have to see if there is a Denver rock n roll half marathon for my first - sounds like there was lots of distraction and music all around. Keep us posted on your next adventure!
2010-12-06 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Sounds like you had a good time.  I haven't done a half in a long time, but can still remember what those last few miles felt like.   Well done.

2010-12-11 10:59 PM

User image

Veteran

Great job! I'm planning to do Philly R'n R HM next year.
Also, turned out my friend was in LV last weekend and did this race too

2010-12-13 4:16 PM

User image

Regular
Great job!  Glad you had fun!!!
2010-12-19 8:48 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Awesome time! Just awesome that you toed the line!! CONGRATS!
2011-01-10 2:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Great job!  Thanks for sharing the report.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon Rss Feed