2011-05-11 6:43 AM
in reply to: #3478013

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Annapolis tri coming soon
JJakes - 2011-05-02 2:38 PM

Looks to me like the bike isn't 2 complete loops, i.e. you don't start at TA, return to TA, leave TA and do 2nd full loop. There's a turnaround before you get back to the TA. So if there was no section of the course repeated, it's possible that is 7 miles, like you mapped. But since you turnaround before you go back to the TA, it's really the distance to that turnaround point that you'd double to get the full route. Does that make sense?

In terms of effort or difficulty, hard to say it'll be 100 times easier. That bridge often gets a fair amount of wind and you'll climb the (only) hill(s in Annapolis) twice. So it may be easier, but it's not exactly a flat route.

I'm still wondering how they'll manage the first loop riders going straight to the 2nd turnaround and 2nd loop riders turning left, potentially across riders coming from the opposite direction going straight.

Yeah, me too.  Sounds like a recipe for epic carnage.  A race marketed towards beginners on a crazy technical course with multiple turnarounds, a fairly steep downhill section, possible rain, and a few hundred riders.  Yikes!

I'm happy the RDs with the support of lots of local triathletes got this thing put together.  For all you non-locals they had to fight the NIMBYs tooth and nail on this one, and there was a lot of collateral damage with respect to other bike/run races in the surrounding county.  They even had a neighborhood hearing complaint session the other night where everyone was complaining about the parking and road closure "problems".  Note that the roads are going to re-open at like 9:30 a.m., which is before most businesses are even open in Annapolis. 

Also, one local resident complained about cyclists throwing beer bottles into her yard.  Now that's ridiculous.  Everyone knows that us local riders replace all of our on-ride beer bottles in our behind-the-seat-six-pack-hydration-system.

Good luck to everyone racing!

2011-05-11 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3240169

Veteran
This will be my first Tri, I am racer #746 heading out in wave #8.   I have been out in the Patuxent twice to get used to my wet suit and open water.   The run is not an issue, what  I am most concerned about is the bike course if it rains.  I have not had my bike out on wet roads any advice for if it does rain?
2011-05-11 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3493052

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD

nicklasmom - 2011-05-11 9:01 AM This will be my first Tri, I am racer #746 heading out in wave #8.   I have been out in the Patuxent twice to get used to my wet suit and open water.   The run is not an issue, what  I am most concerned about is the bike course if it rains.  I have not had my bike out on wet roads any advice for if it does rain?

Avoid manhole covers and road markings (crosswalks, lane lines) like they are the plague. Take it super easy on the corners.

2011-05-11 3:35 PM
in reply to: #3492901

User image

After looking at the map again, there isn't a left hand turn across oncoming traffic like I thought. But you're right about the rain, steep descent and turnarounds. I wouldn't say it's crazy technical, but I am debating bringing both my road bike and tri bike and making a last minute decision. Hopefully if it's raining, it won't also be blowing 25-30 mph on the bridge!

2011-05-13 6:16 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

24 hours until my first OWS Tri start. I'm nervous and excited.

Anyone there, look for a sea of lime green gear in transition, and a 270 pound bald guy in a RIDE (like Tide logo) bike jersey.

Or, the guy in the wetsuit everyone is trying to shove back into the ocean because they're worried I beached.

2011-05-13 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3496833

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
TheClaaaw - 2011-05-13 7:16 AM

Anyone there, look for a sea of lime green gear in transition, and a 270 pound bald guy in a RIDE (like Tide logo) bike jersey.

Or, scratch that - I'll be in a purple DOUGHBOY Tshirt.

2011-05-13 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3496921

New user

Annapolis/DC
Subject: Update: Annapolis tri coming soon

The Annapolis Tri Club will be doing a FREE bike check at Market House after the race, until 2pm.  Market House is the big empty building near the start/finish, that you have to pass to get to Main street. 

One of the issues raised by some of the locals was that people would not be patronizing the local businesses after the race - so the tri club has created this bike check to make it easy.  If we want this race back next year, this is something that will REALLY help.

Also, Federal House is offering $2 beers from 10am on (right across from Market House) and there is ice cream, great food, beer and great shopping up and down Main street.

After the race, come enjoy Annapolis!

Tor

2011-05-14 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

Done, finished, complete. Drove home 3 hours, went to a birthday party with live entertainment, and I'm home, completely drained. Race report will come later.

For now I just want to publicly thank Tor for the socks. It's a heck of thing when you show up in a crowd of 850, and the person right next to you knows you from BT.com.

As it turns out, I found my socks in my transition bag when I was packed up in the car afterwards. But I think borrowed reindeer socks were totally appropriate for the day.

Great friendly folks from your local tri club there. If TriRock returns to Annapolis, I'll definitely be back.

2011-05-16 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3499248

User image

Arnold, MD
Saw you out there starting the run up mainstreet, you looked strong. Congrats on the finish. Keep at it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Annapolis tri coming soon Rss Feed  

of 3