WTC
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 53m 29s
Overall Rank = 1430/1634
Age Group = W 30-34
Age Group Rank = 54/63
Pre-race routine:

Actually set my alarm for 2:30am.... WTH? On a good note, I fell asleep around 8 the night before and slept awesome. Got up with the alarm and headed to the loo, dressed and sorted grabbed my morning breakfast of protein shake and muffin. at the the hotel brakfast opened and I had 2 eggs. I choked down my breakfast. I was so nervous I didn't want to talk to anyone. Drove to the parking area to catch the bus and dropped off the special needs bags. Grabbed a bus and munched on another muffin on the way to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Potty trip and wetsuit on. Once the pros started I started my walk to the VERY cold water. I was sure I would throw up. No real warmup except for a few stroke out to the far buoy. Maybe that would be less crowded since many were starting onshore.
Swim
  • 1h 29m 3s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first part of the swim was great.... then the cold water got to me and I began losing feeling in my hands so the second half of the swim was completed with my hands contorted in a weird claw like shape. I also learned I don't know how to pee and swim freestyle at the same time so I had to doggie paddle to relieve myself near the end.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. My first IM swim was better than I had expected.
Transition 1
  • 13m 37s
Comments:

Had to have help getting dressed from a volunteer. (Thank You) My hands were numb and not functioning. T1 was packed with athletes and I sat on the floor to get changed.

swim faster so I don't get so cold
Bike
  • 7h 47m 22s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.38 mile/hr
Comments:

Had to pee 2 times. Not bad I thought. MY nutrtion came through perfectly except for the last 10 miles when I was afraid to take my hands off the handlebars for fear of getting blown over.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 08m 20s
Comments:

The volunteers were great. Got changed pretty quick but It felt great to sit on something other than a bike seat.

nothing
Run
  • 6h 15m 9s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Drank wayyyyyyy to much. The first loop went ok. I was tired but managed to keep going on. Chatting with Heather helped for a few miles but she had more gas in her tank. On the second loop the temp was dropping and daylight fading. I was drinking way to much and had to pee nearly every other mile. I didn't feel good so I walked the uphills and ran the downhills. That finish line made all the pain go away!

Follow my nutrition plan for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza and soda at the finish area. Met up with Danny and shared war stories. Took a seat and waited for my massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Undiagnosed exercise induced asthma. Wow that hurt at the end.

Event comments:

LOVE IT!!!!!! Someday I would like to do this race again. Beautiful region, great people!

Last updated: 2009-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:29:03 | 4224 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/63
Overall: 0/1634
Performance: Good
Suit: QR
Course: rectangle -ish
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 13:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
07:47:22 | 112 miles | 14.38 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: The hills of Utah.... The hills weren't bad. The wind killed me. First 20 miles to town were great and Ifound a good rhythm and remembered my nutrition. The first loop of the course We had a headwind generally on the way "up" the hill. It wasn't the worst I had been in but you felt it. The scenery made up for it. I met up with some locals who I chatted with for several miles. Second loop the wind changed and was generally on the downhill portion... the last miles of the course and I was beat down and just wanted to get off the bike. I don't like have to pedal downhill to maintain any speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
06:15:09 | 26.2 miles | 14m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Hilly, windy, hot at first... You can see the finsh line from both the near and far turn arounds so its pretty sadistic
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-12-14 1:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: Ironman St. George - Utah

2012-02-29 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3248547

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman St. George - Utah
Cool race report. I was a volunteer at T1. After everyone left I took a swim..........cold water to say the least. Nice job completing this. The run course is a beast! Guess that's why they changed it this year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman St. George - Utah Rss Feed