BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-22 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3258220

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--OPEN
jogo - 2010-12-23 5:47 AM

So does this mean I made the cut?   YEAH!!!!!  

I would love to pick your brain about intervals.  I just started reading his Book of Running.  

you made the cut only because you mentioned the secret words -- manatee and galloway -- in the same post

by intervals, do you mean run::walk intervals?

his website is also a great resource ... www.jeffgalloway.com

I actually think Marathon (the newest edition) is the best of his books, but all of them are great. He's also done a lot of research/work with women runners in particular, which I dig.

2010-12-22 5:16 PM
in reply to: #3258201

Ooops! I forgot that part. My name is Tanya. I also forgot to mention that my husband of nine years contributes to my busy household!
2010-12-22 5:24 PM
in reply to: #3258201

User image

Melon Presser
spar - 2010-12-23 6:21 AM Ooops! I forgot that part. My name is Tanya. I also forgot to mention that my husband of nine years contributes to my busy household!

Tanya then! Welcome again!

And all of us--if you haven't already--name, birthdate, paypal account details, home pho ... oh wait, sorry, wrong forum.

Indeed, we'd love to know your name, 3-line/paragraph/page life story, goals or training you're thinking about ... it's weird, I know, but we actually care.
2010-12-22 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3256055

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Can I join?

I am Megan, and  really a beginner.

I did a few sprints summer before last. Last year sucked big toes, as work responsibilities (and some family stuff) nullified 1/3 of my training - (swimming) and mentally drained me. This season so far I am signed up for a 5 k. a sprint and an Oly.
I am 45, married and have 4 kids (one in college, one about to go, one in hs and a 10 year old that runs the household,) and a  huge black lab that does nothing.

I haven't had any luck finding people to train with but since my teen son is on the track team we run regularly on the weekends now. my trust dusty bike is on the drainer fo rthe winter and I am building up to starting some more rigorous workouts in teh next week or two. Once again swimming is a challenge - I LOVE swimming but have to kill myself to get to Masters workouts on time after work. 

I am looking forward to this!
2010-12-22 6:18 PM
in reply to: #3258253

User image

Master
Vista, CA

You are MAD Manatees -- training and thinking of training during the holidays, then you're all at the right place. Thanks TriAya (Yanti) for starting up and holding down the fort. Sorry I've been remiss in chiming in. Looks like we have....

Yanti

Lynn

Carla

Floyd

Niall

Ryan

Mike?

Lagnar

John

Tanya

Jogo (name?)

Seems we have a smattering of experience and goals for the year. I'd suggest if you haven't set up some goals for yourself, both short-term and longer term, to take a few moments and set some. For example, you might say "I want to run 3x per week at a pace of 10:00 min per mile for 2 weeks, swim 2 x and ride 2x per week." And, if you have a race already picked out check out the excellent training plans on BT. I used a beginning sprint tri one for my first trisand it was great. If you're in for just a running event right now there's some other plans out there that are pretty good as well.

For now....WELCOME TO the MAD Manatees!! 

We'll be taking a few more brave souls daring to add their name to the MAD Manatee roster. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and having some mean manatee fun and flipper fives.

Happy Hump Day!

Lynn

Edited by lmscozz 2010-12-22 6:20 PM
2010-12-22 6:35 PM
in reply to: #3258302

User image

Master
Vista, CA

bluwatersoul - 2010-12-22 4:17 PM Can I join?

I am Megan, and  really a beginner.

I did a few sprints summer before last. Last year sucked big toes, as work responsibilities (and some family stuff) nullified 1/3 of my training - (swimming) and mentally drained me. This season so far I am signed up for a 5 k. a sprint and an Oly.
I am 45, married and have 4 kids (one in college, one about to go, one in hs and a 10 year old that runs the household,) and a  huge black lab that does nothing.

I haven't had any luck finding people to train with but since my teen son is on the track team we run regularly on the weekends now. my trust dusty bike is on the drainer fo rthe winter and I am building up to starting some more rigorous workouts in teh next week or two. Once again swimming is a challenge - I LOVE swimming but have to kill myself to get to Masters workouts on time after work. 

I am looking forward to this!

Welcome Megan! Sounds like you're motivated and you'll get it done this year. Great that your son will run with you. Mine isn't so motivated to run with mom....he's faster but I can outlast him!

2010-12-22 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3258253

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO

All - My name is John, born April 6, 1966 in Ohio.  Moved to Colorado in 1998 for 3-5 year career item, but never moved back.  I'm the Quality Manager at my company (17 year employee - Aerospace products) and travel quite a bit - England, France, Germany, India, Malaysia, Japan, Mexico, Canada are primary points.  Might also hit China and Dubi soon.  Divorced in 2005 and still talk to my children's mother on regular basis due to both our #1 focus is our children.  I'm a very involved father - every Wed and Thurs overnights as well as every other weekend.  3 girls - 10, 12, 14 - with dance lessons, high school functions, etc.  1 girlfriend of 3 years who I got into running last year and she now loves it.  We will work out together with me on my bike trainer and she on the treadmill watching a movie.

First sport was racquetball - used to be nationally ranked for age group/level and sponsored by Ektelon - dropped this when I divorced (rough patch for me).  Re-initiated focus in 2010 and decided to start competing in stuff again - easy to compete in a 5k, so I did one in 36 minutes with minimal (ie - no) real prep.  Was disappointed since I used to do them in sub-30 minutes and started to train some as well as look for races to set as goals.  I happened to see an entry for a Tri (Salida Tenderfoot Tri - oly dist) and decided to do it.  Thought that why should I suck at at one sport when I can suck at three?  My second love of sports was cycling and I used to race bicycles in Ohio.  Never had a swim coach / lessons, but loved to swim (and did a lot as child). Read about Imersion swimming last summer and helped A TON - cut my swim from the 40 minutes to 20.  Continued to run and got a 5 k time down to a little over 26 minutes - not bad - 27% improvement in 4 months.  Did all this and did not loose 1 pound, but did change my shape - lost belly fat and gained more muscle.  Completed the Salida Tri in 3hrs, 20 minutes - SLOW.  Run and swim was as expected, but got my butt kicked on the bike (the one item I did not expect).  Was more exhausted from swim than expected and NEVER practiced a brick session from swim-bike, so did not know it would be so bad (plus - first 7 miles on bike was all uphill).

At the end of the season (Nov) I focused on getting down to a better race weight - saw a HORRIBLE pic of me at the Tri (have it posted on my treadmill as motivation and on my mirror next to bed).  Since then, lost 10 lbs (now my hips sink) and want to lose 10 more (get to ~15% body fat) by Feb/Mar.

I'm currently using the 8 week winter maintenance plan (believe it is that) and looking to change to one of the intermediate oly plans in the spring - time it for the Escape from Alcatraz (still can't believe I got picked for that one).  With focus is on weight loss, so I'm forgoing the pre / during / post training session calorie consumption recommendations unless it is over 3 hours - helps quite a bit (no gatoraid or hammer or gels or powerbars or... - just water).  Second focus is increased speed, so breakthrough workouts often (read this as pain in the a$$ intervals).

I never worried / considered not being able to finish, but just don't set a watch by my anticipated finish time (death before dnf - right?).

Another item is that I've also set a 21 day challenge to get up and work out before work (which means I'm up by 4am for a 30 - 50 minute workout) and reached 20 days before Thanksgiving hit.  With busy work / travel, the best (and often only) time to work out is before work, so I'm going to do this again starting 12/26.

Finally (I picked the life story option - sorry) I have already registered for:  Escape from Alcatraz (June ~oly distance), Boulder 5430 (Sprint - June), Peak to Peak (oly - July), Boulder 70.3 (HIM August), and Warrior Dash (fun - August).  I'll also do the Valentines couples run (5k relay with Girlfriend Wink Feb), several other 5k to 10 mile runs as part of triaining, with MAYBE a half marathon or perhaps a full marathon after my 70.3.  Ultimate goal is a full IM in 2012.

Think that is me.  If anything was left out or you want anything else, just let me know.  BTW:  Paypal account is: Triaintcheap.  Password:  sonomoney.

Looking forward to a GREAT year! - John

PS - Yanti:  your first pic. is attached - about 2 years old, but all I have on my work PC.  My crew and me during a hike near the national sand dunes.

(a - DSC01878.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
a - DSC01878.JPG (37KB - 22 downloads)
2010-12-22 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3258173

User image

Regular
Dubln, Ohio

A modified version of plans from Hal Higdon, Art Liberman, along with incorporating information from Jeff Galloway; one thing I learned when I was doing triathlons was everyone is an expert but you need to tailor the information to your needs.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/marathon.html

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00index.htm

Edited by Lagnar 2010-12-22 6:54 PM
2010-12-22 7:35 PM

User image

Veteran
.... me! me! me! Pick me too! I would love to join your group if there is still room!

Hi from the frozen north!  I discovered the world of triathlon after loosing about 60-70 llbs and signing up for a minisprint tri in 2009.  I loved it and did a few more sprints this past summer - even winning my AG a few times!  Woohoo!!  
Then, (as some of my friends and family would say) I really drank the cool-aid and signed up of a HIM in July 2011.  I am soooo excited - but a little freaked by the running!  
I've lost a total of almost 100lbs to date, and would still like to loose a bit more but it's not really a huge focus anymore.  I feel pretty confident in the swim and bike portions - but like I said.... really have a lot of work to do on the running - and staying injury free. 
I would love to be part of this group and learn from everyone!
Oh... my name is Kathy, I'm a single mom of an (almost 20yr old) daughter who is off at Univeristy in Montreal now.... so I have LOTS of time to focus on my tri training!!
2010-12-22 7:43 PM
in reply to: #3258359

User image

Master
Vista, CA

kalico123 - 2010-12-22 5:35 PM .... me! me! me! Pick me too! I would love to join your group if there is still room!

Hi from the frozen north!  I discovered the world of triathlon after loosing about 60-70 llbs and signing up for a minisprint tri in 2009.  I loved it and did a few more sprints this past summer - even winning my AG a few times!  Woohoo!!  
Then, (as some of my friends and family would say) I really drank the cool-aid and signed up of a HIM in July 2011.  I am soooo excited - but a little freaked by the running!  
I've lost a total of almost 100lbs to date, and would still like to loose a bit more but it's not really a huge focus anymore.  I feel pretty confident in the swim and bike portions - but like I said.... really have a lot of work to do on the running - and staying injury free. 
I would love to be part of this group and learn from everyone!
Oh... my name is Kathy, I'm a single mom of an (almost 20yr old) daughter who is off at Univeristy in Montreal now.... so I have LOTS of time to focus on my tri training!!

Welcome Kathy! Yes, that cool-aid is tasty stuff isn't it? Injury free running, now might that me an oxymoron? I think it doable, but once that mileage and intensity increases, one has to really put in the effort at self care. Do you have a foam roller? That was one of the best investments I made early on in my running.Here's a link I just found about self care for running: http://www.athletestreatingathletes.com/

Huge Congrats on your weight loss. It's not easy to maintain the loss either, so big kudos to you!

2010-12-22 7:45 PM
in reply to: #3258332

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Lagnar - 2010-12-22 4:51 PM

A modified version of plans from Hal Higdon, Art Liberman, along with incorporating information from Jeff Galloway; one thing I learned when I was doing triathlons was everyone is an expert but you need to tailor the information to your needs.

http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/marathon.html

http://www.marathontraining.com/marathon/marathon.html

http://www.halhigdon.com/marathon/Mar00index.htm

Great advice. I've used the Hal Higdon before and some other plans from runner's world. Yep, listening to your body and tailoring to your needs is the way.

2010-12-22 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
I'd love to join too if you still have room?!  I'm brand new to the tri world.  I've been obsessively stocking BT trying to learn as much as I can (so that should qualify me as mad, right?)  I'd love to be part of a mentor group as I could use the help ~ and can also offer encouragement in exchange.  I'm soon to be 32 and have a daughter who will turn 6 tomorrow and a son who is 20 months.  I'm a stay at home mom.  About two months ago I had a friend talk me into doing my first tri in June.  I'm a non-athlete and always have been.  I'm trying to see if shear determination can make up for lack of any natural ability.  Two months ago I had never run more than 1 mile, not been on a bike since college (and never on a bike without a kick-stand), and grew up playing in a pool but no formal swimming training (i.e. I won't drown, but I'm super duper slow).  

~louise 
2010-12-22 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Room for me?
2010-12-22 8:48 PM

User image

Abilene
Hi! Is there still room to join?  I am a very, very, very newbie. My name is Jenn, I'm 30 years old, and I completed my first and only sprint last August all on my own (as in no coaching or training partners!), and I was also sadly 100 lbs overweight at the time.  I desperately need some mentor support!

I don't know if I'm the only one brought to tears with every IM clip on the net, but it is a sincere desire of my heart to complete a full IM one day.  I am taking baby steps towards it  This year my ambition is to race at least 2 Oly and a few more sprints.  Maybe next year a 1/2! I want to learn to be a runner!!

I am currently on a VLCD because I am far more overweight than I'd like to be thanks to 2 pregnancies back to back and poor lifestyle choices to boot!  That is all changing thanks to a new found love for tri!

I really, really hope I qualify to join y'all here! I'm excited!
2010-12-22 8:52 PM
in reply to: #3258359

User image

Abilene
Kathy congrats on your weightloss! That's amazing!  I'm from Canada too, born and raised near Lethbridge, Alberta.  I married a Texan and we now make our home in Abilene, Texas.  I definitely say I haven't missed a winter yet!  Great to meet you!

Edited by burnettbunch 2010-12-22 8:54 PM
2010-12-22 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Redlands, CA
Hiya, is there room for me, too?  I'd love to join you guys.

2010-12-22 9:05 PM

I would love to do join your group if it is still open.

I am the anti-athlete, never good at sports. The closest thing I have ever done before last year was competing in the martial arts, which I did at the world level (once). Last year I trained and competed in two sprints and a virtual oly. This season I want to compete in 4 or 5 races in a sprint/oly series and would love to place. I also want to complete my first 70.3.

With no strong background in anything I would love to work with mentors with strong swimming backgrounds. I plan to pay for some swim coaching at my local YMCA. I also hope to get a coach but if I can't I will atleast get swim coaching.
2010-12-22 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3258469

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Wow, looks like a full group!!  If you have room for one more, I would love to be a part of this group!!  I have completed my first season of tris and loved it.  However, swimming is my nemesis.  It looks like there are some wonderful swimmers here that could be a good resource.

A little about me.  I'm 40 years old, married with two awesome kids.  I ran in high school but stopped once I started college, got married, had kids, ect ect....  Got back into running a couple of years ago.  My sister who does triathlon introduced me last year and I loved it.  Swimming has been difficult as I am slow and pitiful.  I am going to swim a lot this winter to improve my form and confidence!

My race history has been two 1/2 marys, 4 sprints tris, and 1 marathon.  My goal for next summer is a PR for 1/2 mary, Oly, and HIM.  If I can only get through the swim.....   Thanks==Claire
2010-12-22 9:17 PM

User image

Hi I would like to join this group if there is room.
I started training year ago, did one olympic and this year plan to do few more olympic distance and one HIM.
Arek 
2010-12-22 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Phoenix
It's looking like this group may be almost full, but I'm going to try and squeak in if I can. Reading Everyone's bios it sounds like I have something in common with just about everyone. I'm 30 years old, and I promised myself I would complete a triathlon before I turn 31. So true to form of my procrastinating self, I signed up for Tri for the Cure that is on 03/20/2011 just 1 month and 2 days before my 31st bday. . I am married and have 5 children - 4 girls ages 13, 8.5, 6 and 2.5 and 1 boy who is 10 months. So finding the time to train is my biggest challenge. I just picked up a copy of the Time-Crunched Triathlete to see if I can pick up some information on how to maximize my training.I have about 20-25 pounds to lose that have been clinging on to my body for dear life since I had my son 10 months ago. I'm a decent swimmer, having been on both a recreational swim team and a high school swim team briefly. I have the same fears about biking in a group. And I've never really liked to run. But like someone else said, I get all choked up when I watch the Iron Man clips or read peoples IM race reports. I know it's something I will accomplish someday.The only Tri I have planned so far this year is the Tri for the Cure which is a sprint distance. But would like to add another one or two to the mix. I'm really looking forward to being manateed. So far ive found that the Tri community is amazingly supportive. Thanks!Crystal
2010-12-22 10:16 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!
THE MAD MANATEE MENTOR GROUP IS NOW FULL.

Welcome and thank you for joining us to all who posted before this.

In the heretofore-unrealized event that we have a high attrition rate, we may open up again, although I doubt it.

You *might* still get in if:
1. your name, handle, events, or other relevant association contains or sounds like "manatee."
2. you send pop tarts.
3. you beg, and demonstrate loyalty by doing performing significant service for the Manatees or the Bali Tri Club.

2010-12-22 10:17 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED!

I'd love to join too if you still have room?!  I'm brand new to the tri world.  I've been obsessively stocking BT trying to learn as much as I can (so that should qualify me as mad, right?)  I'd love to be part of a mentor group as I could use the help ~ and can also offer encouragement in exchange.  I'm soon to be 32 and have a daughter who will turn 6 tomorrow and a son who is 20 months.  I'm a stay at home mom.  About two months ago I had a friend talk me into doing my first tri in June.  I'm a non-athlete and always have been.  I'm trying to see if shear determination can make up for lack of any natural ability.  Two months ago I had never run more than 1 mile, not been on a bike since college (and never on a bike without a kick-stand), and grew up playing in a pool but no formal swimming training (i.e. I won't drown, but I'm super duper slow).  

~louise 

howdy louise!

btw--you're definitely not a non-athlete anymore. i think the last two months attests to this ...

Edited by TriAya 2010-12-22 10:22 PM
2010-12-22 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3258436

User image

Melon Presser
Mrschach - 2010-12-23 9:42 AM Room for me?

sure thing. i've seen you around on the boards and mentor forum and it would be lovely to have you.
2010-12-22 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3258445

User image

Melon Presser
burnettbunch - 2010-12-23 9:48 AM Hi! Is there still room to join?  I am a very, very, very newbie. My name is Jenn, I'm 30 years old, and I completed my first and only sprint last August all on my own (as in no coaching or training partners!), and I was also sadly 100 lbs overweight at the time.  I desperately need some mentor support!

I don't know if I'm the only one brought to tears with every IM clip on the net, but it is a sincere desire of my heart to complete a full IM one day.  I am taking baby steps towards it  This year my ambition is to race at least 2 Oly and a few more sprints.  Maybe next year a 1/2! I want to learn to be a runner!!

I am currently on a VLCD because I am far more overweight than I'd like to be thanks to 2 pregnancies back to back and poor lifestyle choices to boot!  That is all changing thanks to a new found love for tri!

I really, really hope I qualify to join y'all here! I'm excited!

hi jenn

super congrats on the oly, and especially toughing it out when you're not in optimal shape.

yeah, i cry at IM clips, commercials for athletic products, bad posts in BT ... heh, wish i were entirely kidding

you are working with some kind of health or nutrition professional on the vcld, right ... one thing i've found remarkable is how many different successful approaches people have with reshaping their bodies, so one size truly doesn't fit all. as you know vcld has some definite difficulties so it's wise to have a pro on board with you.
2010-12-22 10:33 PM
in reply to: #3258450

User image

Melon Presser
iluvmybeamer - 2010-12-23 9:54 AM Hiya, is there room for me, too?  I'd love to join you guys.

for a fellow redlands-er, anything

small world. u of redlands is my alma mater and i spent 7 years in the area. still have very close friends and ex-in-law [strange but true] close family there.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MAD MANATEE Mentor Group (TriAya & lmscozz)--CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 38