BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-22 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3258144

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN
Ail - 2010-12-22 5:03 PMI would like to join if you have room

NAME: Ail/Ailie       

STORY:
I am 35 year old (female) and have done one “season” in this lovely sport. I say “season” as I did 2 races, so I do not think that counts. Was a huge jock in HS (field hockey, winter and spring track, basketball) skiing and climbing for fun, rowed in college. Always consider myself an active person and love being outside, but realized I was not really getting much done when I went to the gym. Signed up for my first tri to support a friend who was doing one, OK and to compete…a little…ok a lot…..I love to compete. Found I liked them and the work that you have to put into them. Makes going to the gym and working out mean something again. I am 5’8” and weight about 170, need to drop weight. I currently hate running probably because I am so heavy now, never really liked it, it was just a means to an end. I like swimming (grew up in New England, summer on boats and the ocean) so open water does not freak me out, OK on the bike, know how to run, just suck at it right now.

FAMILY STATUS: s
ingle with 2 dogs that keep me on my toes

CURRENT TRAINING: 
I am doing the 4-7h winter maintenance program 20 week plan, (before that I was doing the beginner sprint 12 week program in the summer) but it is looking to be more like a 23 week plan and with xmas and being sick I have had to push back the weeks a few times…..

2010 RACES:  
Tri to Beat Cancer sprint, Take Flight tri sprint

2011 RACES:   The same two as last ear plus a few more to make a full “season” also maybe an OLY at the end of the season.

GOALS:
Want to maybe try for an OLY, but mainly get my running to improve. The bike and swim could be faster but I know that my run is HORRID right now. That is the main reason I am sticking with sprints, the run distance. I don’t see myself really ever going past that, a ½ or full marathon seems ludicrous to me, but who knows….

Welcome Ailie. Is that a Red Sox hat in your picture? It looks like we have a lot of folks who are running, but not that well. I guess we can all suffer together.

2010-12-22 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3258195

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
croixfan - 2010-12-22 4:31 PM
Mike_D - 2010-12-22 12:32 PM Would love to join!

Name: Mike_D/ Mike D 

Current Training: Focused on swim & run.  Swimming is starting to realy kick butt -- something clicked recently and I'm now able to do 1+ mile continuous swims and feel good. Running plans are to do a 1/2 marathon in March, and I've started training for that, and am excited about the race. 

Spill the beans.  What clicked / how'd you make progress on the swim?

LOL.

It was no one thing, but maybe several things all just making sense. I started swimming in July, and struggled to do a single 25 yard length. I recall the first time I counted strokes it was 27 (!!) for 1-25 yard swim! So I took 1/2 dozen 1:1 lessons, and put in time in the pool. Drills are important as well, and for me kick drills really seemed to help establish good balance, and stop the 'sinking legs' issue. also, go read the "Swimming breathing - make it effortless" thread in TT. While I don't fully understand the drill she describes, I took from it the ideas of establishing an easy, relaxed breathing rhythm while swimming. works wonders. I also recently saw a Total Immersion vid on You Tube of a guy just doing a basic crawl stroke, but it was so perfect I watched it several times, noting rotation, arm positions, hands, etc. Next time at the pool I tried to replicate some of those movements.

anyway last Saturday I was doing a swim workout, and just kept going during one of my 100 yard sets.  Hit 500 yards and figured I'd see where it went. Made it to 72 laps, and felt great. Monday I did 2500 yards nonstop. Today I had to cut it short, and only did 36 laps, but could have kept going for a while.

SO, in short, , there's no magic bullet. practice, lessons, and persistance. it will click for you, too

EDIT: Link to the Total Immersion video mentioned above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8ZZZhabp4

Edited by Mike_D 2010-12-22 8:10 PM
2010-12-22 8:20 PM
in reply to: #3258377

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2010-12-22 7:58 PM
croixfan - 2010-12-22 4:31 PM
Mike_D - 2010-12-22 12:32 PM Would love to join!

Name: Mike_D/ Mike D 

Current Training: Focused on swim & run.  Swimming is starting to realy kick butt -- something clicked recently and I'm now able to do 1+ mile continuous swims and feel good. Running plans are to do a 1/2 marathon in March, and I've started training for that, and am excited about the race. 

Spill the beans.  What clicked / how'd you make progress on the swim?

LOL.

It was no one thing, but maybe several things all just making sense. I started swimming in July, and struggled to do a single 25 yard length. I recall the first time I counted strokes it was 27 (!!) for 1-25 yard swim! So I took 1/2 dozen 1:1 lessons, and put in time in the pool. Drills are important as well, and for me kick drills really seemed to help establish good balance, and stop the 'sinking legs' issue. also, go read the "Swimming breathing - make it effortless" thread in TT. While I don't fully understand the drill she describes, I took from it the ideas of establishing an easy, relaxed breathing rhythm while swimming. works wonders. I also recently saw a Total Immersion vid on You Tube of a guy just doing a basic crawl stroke, but it was so perfect I watched it several times, noting rotation, arm positions, hands, etc. Next time at the pool I tried to replicate some of those movements.

anyway last Saturday I was doing a swim workout, and just kept going during one of my 100 yard sets.  Hit 500 yards and figured I'd see where it went. Made it to 72 laps, and felt great. Monday I did 2500 yards nonstop. Today I had to cut it short, and only did 36 laps, but could have kept going for a while.

SO, in short, , there's no magic bullet. practice, lessons, and persistance. it will click for you, too

EDIT: Link to the Total Immersion video mentioned above:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC8ZZZhabp4

I just got the 10 lessons TI DVD today / just finished watching the first five lessons.  Some great drills / explains things much better than his first video.  What kick drills did you / do you do?  My kick sux / needs lots of works. 
2010-12-22 8:39 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
I still don't have access on my computer and typing on the phone sticks. I will catch up with you in the morning.
2010-12-22 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Just say this group is closed after I posted my info and looks like you've got plenty of members so I'll look for a new group... Good luck to everyone in the new year!

Edited by Emmanem 2010-12-22 9:48 PM
2010-12-23 12:44 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Wow- Awesome job everyone who has lost weight!

Alex- Great job improving your HM times.

In response to how to improve on the swim- I joined a masters group in my area that was tri specific. It was really awesome because it only met twice a week and was very beginner friendly. Also, one of the weekly sessions was an OWS. The better swimmers were given drills to do, but one of coaches worked specifically with us beginners and taught us the basics of stroke technique. I went from dog paddling my 1st tri in May to having a great swim on my last tri in Oct. So, lessons really helped me. I'm looking to continue with this swim group in the spring.

Mike- I originally planned on only doing 2 sprint triathlons in 2010. Iron Girl in May and Pumpkinman in Oct. After Iron girl, I was so excited to do another tri that one race just led to another. I found one in CA and made it a family vacation (Legoland is in the same city). I also did a local sprint in Sept and decided to challenge myself and change to the Oly distance for the Oct tri. As far as the HM, I decided to do that in the spring when I convinced a long time friend to start running with me. We have since became running partners and usually run 2xs a week. We have done several 5Ks & 10Ks together and stuck together during the whole HM. Here is our picture before the HM. I am on the left.

Edited by jpbis26 2010-12-23 1:14 AM

(Jackie & Jamie HM 2010.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Jackie & Jamie HM 2010.JPG (73KB - 17 downloads)

2010-12-23 7:54 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good Morning gang.  Finally I can use a computer to respond instead of my phone.  I closed the group just to evaluate and see where we are.  I may open it again if all other groups fill up.  I did this last year.  We will play it by ear.  I just want to mention again to make sure your logs are made public or at least add us to your friends list so we can see and comment on your training.  I will put a list together of everyone later this morning. 

2010-12-23 8:00 AM
in reply to: #3258363

User image

Athens, GA
Boston Beginner - 2010-12-22 8:41 PM
Ail - 2010-12-22 5:03 PMI would like to join if you have room

NAME: Ail/Ailie       

Welcome Ailie. Is that a Red Sox hat in your picture? It looks like we have a lot of folks who are running, but not that well. I guess we can all suffer together.

Yes it is, born in Rhode Island to RI family. Grew up in New Hampshire. Moved a lot since graduating college. New England kid thru and thru, got to support my Sox (and the Pats & Bruins). Was one of those kids who was woken up in '86 to see the miracle (that did not happen). Some day I will get a job that puts me back in New England, until then I just try to make trips up as much as I can!  Laughing
2010-12-23 8:19 AM

Veteran
I think my postings are public; let me know if they are not. (and tell me how to do so.)

I have a run question, My run endurance has improved but my pace has fallen (since 2006, the last time I was able to commit to running.) and was wondering if those of you who take walk breaks count them towards your time and milage? What I generally have been doing is either run the whole time or run/ walk a 10:1 ratio, but not count the milage or time during my walk breaks. (This gets to be too much math for me, but keeps the mind sharp I suppose.) I don't include my 5 min. warmup walk nor my 5 min. cool down walk.
2010-12-23 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Ok, here is the list of our group.  Lucky 13 plus me. 

<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Boston Beginner – Josh

Ail – Ailie

billytrek – Bill

crlarner – Chris

croixfan – Curt

DP120107 – Dan

gdsemiller – George

itziaol – Itzia

jpbis26 – Jackie

Mike_D – Mike

mountaindan – Dan

otisbrown – Marcus

playmobil31 – Alex

utahrunner - Sterling

I have also created a table to put on your logs so you can click to everyone's logs easily.  Your homework assignment is to check the list on my page and let me know if all your info is correct and if it does go to your log.  Once there are no changes, I will post the html and directions on how to put it on your page.

2010-12-23 8:40 AM
in reply to: #3258828

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

crlarner - 2010-12-23 9:19 AM I think my postings are public; let me know if they are not. (and tell me how to do so.)

I have a run question, My run endurance has improved but my pace has fallen (since 2006, the last time I was able to commit to running.) and was wondering if those of you who take walk breaks count them towards your time and milage? What I generally have been doing is either run the whole time or run/ walk a 10:1 ratio, but not count the milage or time during my walk breaks. (This gets to be too much math for me, but keeps the mind sharp I suppose.) I don't include my 5 min. warmup walk nor my 5 min. cool down walk.

I count everything.  From the time I go out to the time I come home.  You can log warm up and cool downs separately.  When you are in the section to log your running, just click on the add new run workout and log the other stuff there.  As far as endurance goes, I don't do run/walk intervals.  I have flat feet and really bad ankles so as soon as I stop, my ankles start to kill.  I know a lot of people who do the run/walk thing, but it's not for me.  Are you doing this because you are getting winded?

2010-12-23 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3258411

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

croixfan - 2010-12-22 9:20 PM

I just got the 10 lessons TI DVD today / just finished watching the first five lessons.  Some great drills / explains things much better than his first video.  What kick drills did you / do you do?  My kick sux / needs lots of works. 

I don't kick too much.  It's more important to keep your legs up than it is to kick.  You lose energy/oxygen when you kick and you will need your legs for biking and running.  I do a little flutter, just to keep my toes out of the water to make sure I am balanced.  You will see when you start doing TI.  Balance is a huge factor in swimming.  Think of your body as a seesaw.  If you lower your legs, your chest goes up.  When this happens, it not only causes drag, but your chest catches the water and slows you down.  You want to be as long and narrow as possible in the water.

2010-12-23 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3258875

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
OK,
did my homework and it's good for me.
Also, I put everybody inside my friends' list
2010-12-23 9:09 AM
in reply to: #3258200

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Mountaindan - 2010-12-22 5:35 PM name- Dan

I know you said  that you want some more females, I don't fit that catagory, but if and when you have room I would love to join your group!

I am a 48 YO male, did my first Sprint Tri this summer and fell in love with it. I had every intention of riding my Mtn. bike, but was enjoying training with the local tri group and other friends that I had to get a road bike. So now I have the road Bike and have plans to sign up for the patriot HIM in June. I have a long way to go, but know that once I am signed up I will do what ever it takes to complete it, it may be ugly, but I will finish!

I am married with 4 children, 2 grown sons that on there own and twin daughters keeping me busy at home.

Currently I am deployed over seas and will be returning shortly after the first of the year, I have been swimming a couple of times a week, usually between 3/4 - 1 mile. Running 4-5 times per week 3-7 miles up to a week ago when I started having a problem with my foot so I have been working on the eliptical for a bit to let it heal some.

My biggest goal for doing tris is to lose weight, I am currently 6'3" 238, I would like to get down to 215. Years of trying to gain weight has caught up with me, I like to eat so I need to work out more!

I believe that i will be a good mentee because I know that I can learn from everyone I meet and I am not afraid to take advice from people that have done what I would like to do.

I look forward to being a part of the group!

Welcome Dan and first let me say thank you for your services.  I am sure you can't wait to come home.  I will be using your services to keep everyone in line around here.  When you get a minute, just add the members of the group to your friend list so we can get on and comment how well you are doing.

2010-12-23 9:19 AM

Veteran
K. Clueless on how to do the homework. Help, Please.
2010-12-23 9:21 AM
in reply to: #3258968

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

crlarner - 2010-12-23 10:19 AM K. Clueless on how to do the homework. Help, Please.

No problem.  If you click on the log button below, it should take you to my page.  If you scroll down a bit, you will see a blue box/table will everyone's name in it.  Just click on your name and it should take you to your page.  Let me know if this doesn't work. 

2010-12-23 9:32 AM

Veteran
Thanks, Everything looks good here.
2010-12-23 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile

My homework is complete and everything looks good.  I just want to say how excited I am about this group and getting back to racing.  I look forward to learning from all of you.

Thanks
George

2010-12-23 10:16 AM

User image

Smithtown, Long Island, NY
Is the training log for Tri related training only? Should things like weight training or other cardio (stair running, conditioning exercises, etc) be logged?
2010-12-23 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3259112

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

billytrek - 2010-12-23 11:16 AM Is the training log for Tri related training only? Should things like weight training or other cardio (stair running, conditioning exercises, etc) be logged?

Nope, there is a very extensive list if you click on the training button in your log.  Scroll down a bit and the first thing you will see is a section for strength training.  A couple of seconds below that is a section for other activities.  There is a list of about 100 other sports you can pick from. 

2010-12-23 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Homework complete

2010-12-23 11:17 AM

User image

Smithtown, Long Island, NY
The training log is super cool. Day one and I learned something already...nice! I plan to start recording everything after the first of the year.
2010-12-23 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3259244

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
at the beginning, it might seems to be obscure and a little bit time-killer to do it but I try to fill it every time i come back from a training.
This helps to remind your training and analyze yourself
2010-12-23 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Checked the list and info is correct. 
2010-12-23 12:34 PM

User image

Athens, GA
Mine looks good as well!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38