BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-23 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hi everyone, I look forward to being a part of this group and moving forward with all of our goals!

I think I have everyone added as friends, please feel free to motivate me too get my training in!

By biggest gioal right now is to lose about 20 pounds and get my running moving forward. I am planning on doing my first Half Ironman in June and the run portion will be my biggest challenge.

I am looking for a good plan to follow when I get home. I should be home the first week in January and after a week of R&R with the family it will be time to hit the training hard!!

I look forward to getting to know everyone better. Good Luck and have a Very Merry Christmas!

2010-12-23 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Hi Josh!

Thank you for accepting me as your mentee!  I am very excited about belonging to this group. I’ve done my homework and everything looks alright.  I also included everyone in the group as friends so that they can look at my info.

I adapted a plan from BT to suit my needs, but I can’t upload it since it is in excel.  I would appreciate it if you could have a look at it.  How could I include it in my log? 

Thank you.

Hello everyone!

I’m afraid I’m still wearing a bandage and walking with crutches because I sprained my right ankle only last Friday.  So you won’t see much in my log in the next few weeks.  Nevertheless, I’ll start working on getting to understand this site, setting myself more detailed goals and controlling nutrition.  Otherwise I’ll put on all the weight I’ve lost!  

It’s such a pity... the weather is very pleasant down here.

I wish you all a merry Christmas!

2010-12-23 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3258411

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - OPEN

Hi Curt!

I don’t know if this might help you… but besides mastering technique, I believe swimming is also about how you relate to water. What I mean is that your breathing and movements while swimming will be more confident and controlled if you learn to enjoy being in that element.

Why don’t you take some time before or after your training in order to just enjoy the water?  Become friends with it… Push yourself from the edge of the pool down into the water, and enjoy how your body is free from gravity.  Feel how it glides through as if you were flying.  Do turns and whatever movement you feel like doing.  That gives me such a sense of freedom!  Then when weather allows, try it in the sea / lake or wherever the events you go to take place.  I’m sure feeling at ease and enjoying such places will help.

LOL It looks silly written in English, but I hope I managed to get the meaning across.

Best of luck!

2010-12-23 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Homework done -- link works great and I've added everyone to the friends listing.

Appreciate the ideas on the swimming.  Relaxing and getting comfortable is certainly the key -- and something I'm well on my way to doing.  I'm going to start using a lot more of the TI drills and focus on getting comfortable.  While I know it's the right thing to do, it'll be a challenge as it's hard to slow down when you're goal driven. 

(And Itzia the English is fine.  FYI, I use the AM drive to work on Spanish each day and I guarantee you that my Spanish is no where close to on par with your English)

2010-12-23 9:17 PM

South Central PA
You have managed to do something most of my teachers could not...homework complete. Also, my training will be mostly run-focused until May. I do hope to get some biking done for cross training, and because I enjoy it.
2010-12-24 1:09 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Added everyone in the group to my friends list.

I also like the BT logs because it gives me a little more motivation to get the workouts in. In the challenge forum, there is usually a peach challenge every month (when you log a workout the box on the calendar turns peach-so the challenge is to do some form of activity everyday) I've joined these challenges over the summer and they really helped motivate me to do something everyday.

As far as logging the time I spend walking during my runs-yes, I count that as part of the time. I usually don't count any warm up or cool down, but if have to take a short walking break in the middle of a run I keep the timer going (mostly for simplicity's sake). I used to look at time more when I first started a year ago. I was doing mostly treadmill runs then, so it was easier. Now, I mostly run outdoors, and half the time forget to even set my watch or pay attention to what time I leave the house. When I first started, I did the run/walk method and it worked well. Gradually started running continuously for longer periods of time. Now, if I need to, I will slow my pace down to a slower jog. When doing longer runs (over 6 miles) I will even take a 2 min break mid way through (stop and walk with a water bottle).   

2010-12-24 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3260179

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
jpbis26 - 2010-12-24 2:09 AM
...When I first started, I did the run/walk method and it worked well. Gradually started running continuously for longer periods of time. Now, if I need to, I will slow my pace down to a slower jog. When doing longer runs (over 6 miles) I will even take a 2 min break mid way through (stop and walk with a water bottle).

Same for me, when I first started to run, I was doing 10/1 method for all the long runs, even during the races (and I did my PB in Half marathon like that).
Now, since I started really training specifically for the run with the targeted zones, I feel that I no longer need it. But I won't hesitate to slow down if I feel I need to or if my heart rate is going crazy...
My last 15k was done without walking
It's not as difficult as people think it is
2010-12-24 9:45 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.  I am heading down to the in-laws in CT.  I will be on throughout the weekend.  I am hoping to get a couple of runs in.  Have fun.

2010-12-24 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3260266

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
playmobil31 - 2010-12-24 7:00 AM
...When I first started, I did the run/walk method and it worked well. Gradually started running continuously for longer periods of time. Now, if I need to, I will slow my pace down to a slower jog. When doing longer runs (over 6 miles) I will even take a 2 min break mid way through (stop and walk with a water bottle).

Same for me, when I first started to run, I was doing 10/1 method for all the long runs, even during the races (and I did my PB in Half marathon like that).
Now, since I started really training specifically for the run with the targeted zones, I feel that I no longer need it. But I won't hesitate to slow down if I feel I need to or if my heart rate is going crazy...

Jackie: You are so lucky to have your friend Jamie!  That must be very motivating.  Thanks for all the useful info.  I can’t wait to have peach challenges.  Love your baby’s photo btw.

Alex:  What exactly is the 10/1 method?  It sounds useful.

Curt:  I would have no excuse.  A year in Dublin and 6 in London should have done the trick for my English.  I think it’s wonderful that you work on your Spanish every morning. 

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-09 10:43 PM
2010-12-24 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3260461

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
itziaol - 2010-12-24 11:01 AM
playmobil31 - 2010-12-24 7:00 AM

Jackie: You are so lucky to have your friend Jamie!  That must be very motivating.  Thanks for all the useful info.  I can’t wait to have peach challenges.  Love your baby’s photo btw.

Alex:  What exactly is the 10/1 method?  It sounds useful.

Curt:  I would have no excuse.  A year in Dublin and 6 in London should have done the trick for my English.  I think it’s wonderful that you work on your Spanish every morning.  Escribe en español si quieres practicar.   

10 minutes running / 1 minute walking. It is very useful if you're afraid not being able to do the distance.
Basically, you run a little bit faster but have time to recover during the minute of walk.
Enjoy

And Merry Christmas to everybody !!!
Enjoy the food
2010-12-24 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Itzia- Yes, I'm very lucky to have Jamie, both as a running partner and friend. Although I do workout by myself half the time, I don't think I would be as motivated without my friends. I bike with a group every Sunday and plan to start the masters swim sessions again soon.
BTW- I also speak Spanish at home. My husband is originally from Lima, Peru.

Alex- I agree. I also find a HR monitor very useful, both on the bike and run, for setting a good and working at the effort level I want.

2010-12-24 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Looks like Jackie and Itzia get to be the Spanish mentors.  Hablo solo un poco.  En la manana escucho a "Coffee Break Spanish" podcasts.  Ayudarme mucho.

Snuck out to the gym this AM and got some time in the pool and on the treadmill.  That whole balance thing in the water is a challenge, but I did take my time and really work on it.  The challenge I have is when I breath I lift the head, drop the legs, and create a parachute effect.  When I'm just stroking, it goes wonderfully.

Hope that everyone has a Merry Christmas.
2010-12-24 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

2010-12-24 12:03 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Finally back to running after a week of lousy weather, family obligations, work etc. I know - excuses! excuses! .  Today I did my first 10k distance, and managed to do it in under an hour (59:24). Felt like I was running in mud half the time as my pace felt very slow. Will try to better the distance on Sunday for my 'long' run of the week.

For those who may be looking to build up running, or get started, I cannot recommend enough seeking out a "Couch to 5k" program. usually abbreviated on BT as C25K. It worked great for me, hopefully would do the same for you.

Curt - the balance thing is tough. Lifting your head to breath will mess it up, as you've experienced. Next time in the pool, try to think of your head as weightless, and let it 'float' in the water. As you rotate during your stroke, just breath in. Let your body motion dictate how your head moves, not the other way around.
2010-12-24 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mobile
Well I finall went to the gym for the 1st time in about 10 years and it felt really good.  I feel that I could have done more but did not want to push it.  I do have a question on making an entry on my log.  Today I did 1.3 miles on the treadmill but it was a mixture of walking and running (Walked 5 min, Ran 5 min, Ralked 2 min, Ran 5 min, Walked 2min)  How do I log it?  I went in a put my strength training but I did not know how to put my treadmill.  I was not sure if I log it under Run or just put it in the notes. 

I hope everyone has a blessed Christmas.
Thanks
George
2010-12-24 3:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
George just log the total distance and total time.  Make some comments down at the bottom regarding the break up of walk-run.  Check out some of the other folks in the groups logs and you can see what you like.  The graph feature is really neat once you get a couple of months under your belt.  It'll help motivate you as you don't like to see the drop off.

Have a Merry Christmas.

2010-12-24 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3260713

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

gdsemiller - 2010-12-24 3:08 PM Well I finall went to the gym for the 1st time in about 10 years and it felt really good.  I feel that I could have done more but did not want to push it.  I do have a question on making an entry on my log.  Today I did 1.3 miles on the treadmill but it was a mixture of walking and running (Walked 5 min, Ran 5 min, Ralked 2 min, Ran 5 min, Walked 2min)  How do I log it?  I went in a put my strength training but I did not know how to put my treadmill.  I was not sure if I log it under Run or just put it in the notes. 

I hope everyone has a blessed Christmas.
Thanks
George

Nice job.  You can actually log the walking/running time as well.  

2010-12-24 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Alex and Mike:  Thank you for the running tips, I’ll keep them in mind.  (10K  wow!)

Well done George!

Jackie:  How nice!  I spent a Christmas Eve with Peruvian friends in London once.  Their cuisine is delicious...  The big celebration for them is tonight, just like in Mexico.  I hope you have a great time!

Curt:  Qué bueno que seas constante.  Ya ves, no solamente mejorarás tus habilidades deportivas sino que también tu español.  Smile

Thank you all for your good wishes.  I’m off to Mexico City to celebrate with my parents.  I hope you have a wonderful time!

Merry Christmas!

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-09 10:36 PM
2010-12-24 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
George- Awesome job! I also recommend C25K. It does the run/walk method and I used a similar plan (out of a Weight Watchers' magazine) to train for my first 5K. As I said before, I still take walking breaks on longer runs and count it as part of my run time. The only time I ever log walking is when I truly walk the entire time (like walking the dog at a leisurely pace).

Itzia- Love the quote at the bottom of your page!  Y Feliz Navidad.

I did Day 3 Week 1 of Jorge's Cycling program. I might try and get in run tomorrow. Have a great Christmas everyone.
2010-12-24 7:45 PM

Veteran

Ugh! Third day this week I was unable to get a workout in. Thank goodness its a recovery week. Have a great Christmas (Holiday) everyone!

2010-12-25 7:17 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
So, looks like my days of little to no bike workouts are over. Santa dropped a new bike off at my house last night, and I need to get going with this. What does everyone recommend? I'll likely be getting a trainer this week. Should I check out Jorge's indoor plan?

2010-12-25 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Congrats Mike.  I bought a Cycleops fluid trainer about a month back and am really enjoying it.  Can't comment on Jorge's pogram, but it does look like it's got quite a following.  I also picked up a book a while back call "The Time Crunched Cyclist".  It seems to use the same principles as Jorge's program (hard intervals a few times a week). 

Got my best present on Christmas day 19 years ago -- our oldest arrived one month early on Christmas day.

We're about to do the Christmas thing here.  Girls and I just finished shoveling our driveway and the neighbors.

Enjoy the day and the new toy.
2010-12-25 11:08 AM

Veteran
I got a pair of socks. I guess its better than a pink pajama bunny suit like that kid on the movie that is playing all day long. lol
2010-12-25 12:34 PM
in reply to: #3261068

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Mike_D - 2010-12-25 8:17 AM So, looks like my days of little to no bike workouts are over. Santa dropped a new bike off at my house last night, and I need to get going with this. What does everyone recommend? I'll likely be getting a trainer this week. Should I check out Jorge's indoor plan?

Awesome.  What kind?  I have a Kurt Kinetic Fluid trainer and I love it.  Make sure you pick up some trainer tires as well.

2010-12-25 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Merry Christmas everyone!

I hope everyone is having a great day.
Looks like the North East will be getting some snow in the next few days, I guess I better get a trainer for my bike. Besides the Cycleops, any other recommendations for a trainer, preferably one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38