BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-03-21 3:48 PM
in reply to: #3406507

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL!
dreaming80 - 2011-03-21 10:30 AM

awesome ride! Funny how running or biking in a particular area will reveal those hidden inclines

I was really dreading my 5 k this weekend, due to some ugly sinus drainage and the hills.... Anyways, I ran my fastest 5k yet!!! 25:02 and I finished with all I had. That is a good feeling. 1st in age group and 2nd overall female (would have been first but could not get around that 17yr old girlie in front of me)...but I kept on her heels. Mentally I held back cause I knew the course was a hard one with quite a few kick butt hills and I wanted to finish strong. I'll get her next time

Thats a super race Jessica!  That is a really good pace for a hilly course.  My fastest 5k was a hilly course that I ran backwards before the race to help warm up and get miles in for a 10 mile long run.  (3 mile WU, 3 mile race and 4 mile CD.

And the bigger deal is a podium finish to boot.  Congrats and keep up the good work.  Pretty soon you'll be ditching the sky diving for triathlon as your favorite sport.

I got a couple of good rides in over the weekend.  40 miles on Saturday and 21 miles yesterday and I am planning to ride in a few minutes tonight to get a ride outside and because the pool hours are STUPID again this week.  My rides have been pretty difficult but only because I have made them that way.  Yesterday's ride was short but I had a fair amount of wind (22 mph gusts) and I was wanting to get a hard ride in.  It might have been a little harder than it should have been.  Tonight I plan on making it easier but still mixing in some hard intervals to make sure I am not a total slacker (I am always slacking off...I know). 

Tomorrow is going to be a swim and I hope to nail a decent workout there.  I'll probably try to get a main set in if 10x100 at a good clip, not too hard because I need to allow my body to readjust to the training intensity and increase in overall distance.

How's everyone else's week looking from a training perspective?  Or as far as that goes, any perspective?

2011-03-22 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3407435

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK

Excellent result there Jessica!

Jayne, as far as I have heard (but could well be wrong), if you've been properly fitted, it's pretty difficult to push too hard on the bike. As long as you don't feel any pain (or ease off as soon as you do) I say go for it

As for my week, I decided it's time to go back to a more structured training plan to prepare for my Oly in August. I'm going to cut back the number of miles I've been running slightly and build my running and cycling back up again for the first 9 weeks then add some speed work in to the next 8.

So, some nice easy(ish) runs, some short but hard effort rides and a mixture of speed & endurance swim sessions for me this week.

2011-03-22 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3256240

User image

Veteran

My training has sucked so far this week, life is getting in the way.Might just have to quit Triathlon Training and take up Chess, they say it is a sport...not sure why?

Never mind ....back to the training today, not sure where to start, definitely need to get in a swim and maybe a bike, and weights, and run,  and.......two days off and it feels like a year.

2011-03-22 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3408100

User image

Expert
MI
I attended my first masters class this morning!!  Was not expecting that.  I showed up at the pool this morning, and saw a sign that said a masters class was going to be starting up today, and it just so happened I arrived in time for that!  I had e-mailed the aquatics dept at my gym a few weeks ago inquiring about masters, and at that time I was told that they may try to start something up soon, so I guess this is it, so I was pleasantly surprised.  It's the first time our "instructor" has done masters (she's coached, but not adults) so it's kinda just like a general session at the moment, as she's trying to figure out what would work best for the group.  It's free through the end of the month since it's just beginning, and I'll probably continue on because it would be great to improve my technique!  I used the pull buoy the whole time since I think it's best for me not to kick.  At first I was a bit intimidated as I heard people talking about formerly being on swim teams and whatnot, but it wasn't so bad.  There were 7 of us today I think.
2011-03-22 3:10 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

bfwhitt - 2011-03-21 9:26 AM

Hope your night out howlin was fun 

Bruce, the howlin’ is always fun, it’s the next morning that sucks! LOL

bfwhitt - 2011-03-22 8:22 AM

.......two days off and it feels like a year. 

Did I tell you about my forced MONTH off?  If not, I’d be glad to give tell you ALL about it again!  hahahahahha  Anyway, you can’t quit triathlon, it’s in your blood.   Now get out there and get at it :-)

dreaming80 - 2011-03-21 10:30 AM

1st in age group and 2nd overall female (would have been first but could not get around that 17yr old girlie in front of me)...but I kept on her heels. Mentally I held back cause I knew the course was a hard one with quite a few kick butt hills and I wanted to finish strong. I'll get her next time  

Jessica, Contrats on your awesome race.  2nd overall is great.  Don’t worry about the babies, they’ve got nothing on you!  After the race, you should have asked her if she wanted to go for a swim and then a ride!

michgirlsk - 2011-03-22 8:34 AM I attended my first masters class this morning!!  

Samantha,  That’s great news.  I wish I could find a good swim program around here.  Using the pull buoy sounds like a good idea until you get that hip healed up. 

2011-03-23 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Released from the doctor today!  Smile  It's been exactly 4 months since my surgery, and I'm glad that this chapter of the story is over.  I've been working on getting back into my routine and fighting the fatigue of getting up at 4:30 am again.  

Ran 3.1 miles this evening and only walked for about 1:30 at the half-way point.  

Need to get in one more swim (tomorrow morning), another run and two more bikes.

How's everyone else's week shaping up?

2011-03-23 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3411297

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Jayne,

Thats an amazing accomplishment for you.  Congrats on being released from the doc, but like Bruce said make sure you get the "go easy" button fixed.  You don't want to put yourself back on the injury wagon.  Make sure you take those recovery weeks.

Congrats on the run too!  Very nice!  That is an accomplishment for you.  Keep working hard, the payoff is in a couple of months at Winona Lake.  I'll see you there.

I got another tempo run in tonight.  Another 6 miles with a 3 mile tempo run in the middle.  After I got back and looked at my numbers I think I was slacking off a little during the hardest part of the run.  I allowed myself to run a t a slower pace than I should have.  I should have seen a little higher pulse rate and I wasn't as short on breath as I could have been.  I will nail these tempo runs down a little better as I progress.

The weather broke a little colder so I am not going to be on the bike outside over the weekend but that's okay.  I'll hit the trainer again.  I have learned to like the trainer over the winter and I can focus better on my intensity and do better intervals on there too.

2011-03-24 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3411494

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
DirkP - 2011-03-23 9:01 PM

Jayne,

Congrats on being released from the doc, but like Bruce said make sure you get the "go easy" button fixed.  You don't want to put yourself back on the injury wagon.  Make sure you take those recovery weeks.

Congrats on the run too!  Very nice!  That is an accomplishment for you.  Keep working hard, the payoff is in a couple of months at Winona Lake.  I'll see you there.

Oh Dirk, I'm so confused!!  LOL 

First paragraph says to listen to Bruce and "go easy", second paragraph says to "keep working hard".  You're going to make my fragile little girly brain explode!  hahahaha

Checked the Total Immersion website to see if I can find a certified swim coach, but they don't have a single coach in the state of Indiana.  The weekend workshops sound awesome too, but the closest one would be either Ann Arbor, MI or Chicago, IL and they cost almost $500.  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  Jeesh!  All I want to do is learn how to swim well.  Anybody have any other ideas?  I'm just stubborn enough to try to continue learning on my own, but I know (well, actually Bruce told me and I'm supposed to listen to him) that I would be off with some instruction. 

TOO MANY SPORTS TO LEARN AND TOO LITTLE TIME! 

2011-03-24 4:21 PM
in reply to: #3412620

User image

Veteran

Checked the Total Immersion website to see if I can find a certified swim coach, but they don't have a single coach in the state of Indiana.  The weekend workshops sound awesome too, but the closest one would be either Ann Arbor, MI or Chicago, IL and they cost almost $500.  NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.  Jeesh!  All I want to do is learn how to swim well.  Anybody have any other ideas?  I'm just stubborn enough to try to continue learning on my own, but I know (well, actually Bruce told me and I'm supposed to listen to him) that I would be off with some instruction. 

TOO MANY SPORTS TO LEARN AND TOO LITTLE TIME! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jayne,

Wow for $500 I will drive out and give you some swim lessons...LOL We are spoiled here, my swim instructor is really into Total Immersion, she just returned from a clinic with Terry Laughlin who wrote the book. Now we are all chipping in for an underwater video camera so we can all see how poor our swim stroke is. I will post on line when I get it so you can all have a good laugh.

Edited by bfwhitt 2011-03-24 4:23 PM
2011-03-25 7:05 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am headed to work for the night.  I am not very happy.  We have a scheduled outage to a substation and I have to work all night to upgrade the station.  Tomorrows ride is going to SUCK!  You all sleep well because I won't be.

2011-03-26 4:29 AM
in reply to: #3414931

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am finally ready to go to bed.  I have to eat something before heading off because I would wake up in a couple of hours starving and wouldn't be able to sleep.  What a long night!  I hate working nights!

2011-03-26 9:52 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Ran my first non-stop 5K ever today.  Just thought you should know.  Ready to go further and faster.
2011-03-27 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3416055

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Nice job!  See everyone knew you could do it and you just proved it to yourself.   You have almost 3 months before your first race and thats plenty of time to get a little speed up.  What is your plan for trying to pick up speed?  I would try to maintain the pace you are going without doing any speed work and just slowly build your mileage per run and your MPW.  Additional MPW will make you faster by default.  While I don't consider myself fast, my speed has been going up for the past couple of years because I have increased my weekly mileage for different races at different times.

2011-03-27 10:49 AM

User image

Veteran

Jayne - Way to go, there was never any doubt...right, with the new legs anything is possible now......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dirk - Not fast? Your "not fast" is my PR.....if I wait a couple of years to get to that speed I may be in a wheelchair....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plan is to bike and maybe run today....traveling the next couple of days so I may only be able to get in runs......or I can do circles in the hot tub at the hotel.....

2011-03-27 4:55 PM
in reply to: #3416383

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
bfwhitt - 2011-03-27 11:49 AM

Dirk - Not fast? Your "not fast" is my PR.....if I wait a couple of years to get to that speed I may be in a wheelchair....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The plan is to bike and maybe run today....traveling the next couple of days so I may only be able to get in runs......or I can do circles in the hot tub at the hotel.....

LOL  Well I may faster than some but I still don't think I am particularly fast.   I also started running about 5 years ago and actually over trained for more than a year and got away with it.  BUT it caught up to me when I was training for my dream race and I had to postpone that race for a year.  That overtraining allowed me to get faster sooner than I should have gotten to where I was.  Really the best advice I could give anyone who would like to get faster in any one discipline is really focus hard on that discipline and allow the others to take a backseat.  For instance, if you want to run faster, up your MPW slowly to a high average and hold that base for a while.  The theory, that is probably more science than theory, is the more you run the faster you will get.  I can't remember what the mantra is exactly but it is something like "run easy, run often, sometimes hard."  In my experience this works very well.

On personal training note, I backed my level of intensity down yesterday and kicked my brick out the door.  After I got off work yesterday morning I was spent and I don't think I could have dealt with the run, despite being only 2 miles.

My training for today was only slightly modified from my usual schedule.  I figured I needed to take the opportunity to sleep in rather than get up at 6:30 to get my run in before church, and it may have been just what the doctor ordered.  The brick went very well and I was able to keep a very similar intensity to what I would normally do.  The ride was the usual 1hr trainer and then my usual 5 mile Sunday run.  Everything seemed good today.

2011-03-28 3:56 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere

well ive been out on the bike this week following winter slackness, and im mostly in love with my new bike. I however need to find the balance between commuting and run/swim workouts.

i hope you all had a great weekend.

2011-03-28 7:23 AM
in reply to: #3416740

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK

Try this again (stupid thing ate my post!!)

Woke up this morning with a fairly strong pain in my right knee meaning this weeks training has already gone out the window! I'll ice it up when I get home tonight and see how it is tomorrow. Hopefully I just slept funny as it was fine yesterday after my run. Either way it's new running shoes this weekend as it's long overdue (and may also be a causing factor).

Edited by sicone 2011-03-28 7:29 AM
2011-03-29 5:10 AM
in reply to: #3417397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
Seems Ibuprofan gel is amazing stuff! Rubbed some onto my knee last night and almost immediately felt less painful and this morning it was just mildly sore (enough to ignore and go out for my ride). Just thought I'd share
2011-03-29 6:08 AM
in reply to: #3419158

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I hope the knee problems are remedied soon.  You say you need a new pair pf running shoes, were the the old one fitted correctly for you?  Do you log your miles in your shoes?  I can only get 350 miles out of mine before I beginning to see some knee pain.

I had an unplanned rest day but there wasn't much rest happening.  Someone hit a pole and broke the top of it put at the end of the workday yesterday.  I had to work until midnight last night and couldn't sleep the extra time I had this morning.  I guess The normal sleep pattern is screwed up I guess, especially after last Friday nights work.

Oh well, I'll pick up what I can tonight and see what I can get done for the rest of the week.  I will probably get a swim in tonight.

2011-03-29 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3419189

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
I think it's fair to say my current shoes were well fitted (local running shop with gait analysis) as they currently have 765 miles on them!
2011-03-29 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3419191

User image

Regular

I am back to being human again after a nasty sinus situation....Forced 10 days off from any training. But I think this will actually be a good thing for my training, clean slate sorta thing. I was having swim/run withdrawls though and I think the reason my body caved to the bug this time is because I went a week without swimming (pool heater broke again) but that is just a theory.

Jayne- congrats on your 5k distance!! I agree with dirk that the best way to build speed at first is to build your mileage. I learned from experience that throwing speed work in too soon will lead to injury (some minor achilles issues for me) You'll be ready for that race!

Samantha- awesome that you are starting a masters, it was one of the best decisions I made in regards to swimming. something about having instant correction for technique really helps speed up endurance.

Got a 3 mile run in this morning and some strength training....felt so gooooood! swim tonight! nice to feel human again!

2011-03-30 4:36 AM
in reply to: #3419191

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

sicone - 2011-03-29 7:17 AM I think it's fair to say my current shoes were well fitted (local running shop with gait analysis) as they currently have 765 miles on them!

Umm?  Yeah, I think some new shoes are in order.  Holy shoe recyclers Batman, I think you have gotten your money's worth out of those shoes.  LOL  I am sure some cushioning might remain in your shoes but all those miles could be the culprit to your knee issues.  I tried to get 400 miles out of a pair of shoes last year and I developed some pretty good knee pain at 380 miles that had me worried about the knee I had surgery on in the past.  I changed shoes and the pain disappeared.

2011-03-30 2:23 PM
in reply to: #3420942

User image

Regular
Everywhere
DirkP - 2011-03-30 10:36 AM

sicone - 2011-03-29 7:17 AM I think it's fair to say my current shoes were well fitted (local running shop with gait analysis) as they currently have 765 miles on them!

Umm?  Yeah, I think some new shoes are in order.  Holy shoe recyclers Batman, I think you have gotten your money's worth out of those shoes.  LOL  I am sure some cushioning might remain in your shoes but all those miles could be the culprit to your knee issues.  I tried to get 400 miles out of a pair of shoes last year and I developed some pretty good knee pain at 380 miles that had me worried about the knee I had surgery on in the past.  I changed shoes and the pain disappeared.

and on that note i ordered  mine today and Stav is picking them up on Saturday   on Wednesday next week ive an interview for "Gamesmaker" as a volunteer  for the 2012 Olympics with main event triathlon

2011-03-30 6:52 PM
in reply to: #3421991

User image

Expert
MI
Well, I decided to start seeing an ART (active release technique) specialist, who happens to be a chiropractic.  (Actually it's probably the other way around.)  Anyway, first evaluation session was on Monday, and today he did a few massages/put pressure on certain areas.  I hope this leads to improvements!!  So far, I like what he has to say, if that means anything!!  Still at the beginning stages... we'll see with time!  The only thing is I will be out of town for a couple of weeks in April so then these sessions will be halted, but hopefully that really won't make too big of a difference.
2011-03-31 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3422456

User image

Regular

michgirlsk - 2011-03-30 6:52 PM Well, I decided to start seeing an ART (active release technique) specialist, who happens to be a chiropractic.  (Actually it's probably the other way around.)  Anyway, first evaluation session was on Monday, and today he did a few massages/put pressure on certain areas.  I hope this leads to improvements!!  So far, I like what he has to say, if that means anything!!  Still at the beginning stages... we'll see with time!  The only thing is I will be out of town for a couple of weeks in April so then these sessions will be halted, but hopefully that really won't make too big of a difference.

Please keep us informed. I have reading up on the ART, right now I am just waiting it out on my ITBS issue (it isn't a big one yet) I am excited to hear how this works for you. How is the master's going for you?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 22