BT Development Mentor Program Archives » robin314159's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2011-02-21 9:30 AM
in reply to: #3364095

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Subject: RE: robin314159's Group - CLOSED
Stijn - good work on the 5k. Do you think that is a big improvement from when you started?

Well I had a big up an down weekend.  Saturday I ran for 6.7 miles, swam my 1600 yds. Both felt really good. Then Sunday I was taken out by another rider on my dirt bike and majorly messed up my shoulder. Spent 6 hours in the ER, no breaks but could be some other issues. It is really sore. Neeedless to say I am going to be out of commission for at least a few weeks if not more. I will get back at it as soon as I can. 

2011-02-21 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3364914

User image

Regular
Utrecht
BMiller71 - 2011-02-21 4:30 PM Stijn - good work on the 5k. Do you think that is a big improvement from when you started?

Yeah I'm feeling very good about it. considering I was Ill in the week to the race and I think this is around my max I can hope for given my 253 pounds of bodyweigth.

BMiller71 - 2011-02-21 4:30 PM Then Sunday I was taken out by another rider on my dirt bike and majorly messed up my shoulder.

Ugh. Hope you will recover well without to long of a revalidation. Those things can be really nasty. Hope you will stick around here.
2011-02-22 10:15 PM
in reply to: #3260751

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Brian - Oh no!! Do take care and recover quickly! Don't fail to see a good physical therapist if you need -- those folks are so useful for some injuries.

Stijn, way to rock the 5K! You have put in a lot of work already, and it is paying off. Congrats!

I would recommend working on speed for this season. Speed work helps to improve efficiency of pedal stroke, stride and swim stroke. When you hit half and full distance training, you can not do as much speedwork as you do when focusing on a sprint, as you're forced to slow down to hit the distances. (It is hard to improve speed and distance at the same time.) You will have plenty of time to build the distance. Go fast and master speed while you can.

Sub 12 hour is a good goal, but I'm sure you can do it! Keep up the great work!

2011-02-22 10:29 PM
in reply to: #3365165

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Oh --- and the legs DO get better after a few practice Bricks. In fact, it gets to where the run is BETTER after cycling -- especially if you maintain a high cadence on the bike, as this helps you to maintain a quick cadence on the run.

If you don't already maintain a high cadence on the bike, try this: In the last mile or so of the bike speed it up in a lower gear. You want to be above 90 -- nearly bouncing in your saddle. This helps to loosen up your legs from biking, and get your legs ready for running.
2011-02-23 5:34 PM
in reply to: #3368045

User image

Regular
Utrecht
robin314159 - 2011-02-23 5:29 AM In fact, it gets to where the run is BETTER after cycling

Thanks for those comforting words. But stating a run will be better after cycling sounds to good to be true. Well it will just be something on my lists of challenges. Can't have enough of those.

A bit of a shame that the group of posters in this thread seems to shrink lately. Frown
2011-02-23 5:58 PM
in reply to: #3369432

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Niezels - 2011-02-23 3:34 PM
A bit of a shame that the group of posters in this thread seems to shrink lately. Frown

I know! Any idea on how to remedy that? I think a lot of the people joined the thread simply didn't stick around for long.

2011-02-23 9:10 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
I am going to stick around, right now I am thinking positive and hopefully will be healed up soon. Although I feel like I was run over by a truck. I am sure Stijn knows the feeling since he played football. I am sure that swimming is out for quite a while but maybe running will be in the near future.

I am still shooting for the April 10th tri but now will just go for the sprint instead of the olympic distance.  

It is a bummer people bailed. Can you reopen it for people to join? 
2011-02-24 9:10 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht
Yeah I would be ok with inviting some more people. Don't really need to be newbies for me. Just need them to be dedicated to train for a race this year and willing to post about it.

Got my membershipcard of the national association today. So I've registered for my races. In total:
5 sprints, 1/8
2 Quarters (Including one international (Belgium))
1 Swim run
2 Runs

Having them booked feels good. I feel like counting down now.

PS: I've logged all these races in the race log as well.
2011-02-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3370221

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana
I've been sidelined with the flu. Recovering now, but was out all last week with Type B Influenza.

Frankly? I've also been sidelined with a bit of depression. Nothing psychotic, just the type of downer that comes with feeling lost about workouts. It has all stemmed from being forced to leave a "sport" that I really enjoyed because I had some major disagreements with the owners of the "gym" that I worked out at and frankly, when you pay $120 a month to work out, you better be treated like a paying customer.

Anyhow, that's been an ongoing struggle since last year and that's why I decided to join up with this mentor group and I apologize that I haven't been a good team member in that respect.

Obviously I plan to dig myself out of this hole I've managed to bury myself in. Still trying to figure it out and I need to quickly because time is running out.

I'll be back, just got stuff I have to figure out. No worries, this depression is only centered around working out and finding a workout lifestyle I want to maintain. Life in general is good, work is good, everything else is good...just self-image when it comes to being an "athlete" is the only thing that I'm working on.

You guys go out there and keep knocking it out of the park (sorry you're injured Brian!)
2011-03-01 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
I just got back from trying to ski in Salt Lake, Utah this weekend. Doozie! But some beautiful snow.

I think the mentor programs reopen soon for new people to join groups. We might have to wait for that.

Brian -- how's your injury healing up?

Stijn -- that's an impressive race list. Looks like a year of triathlon fun!

Zee -- How's the flu? I found that there is definitely a pecking order at my Crossfit gym. The strongest people get the most attention because they are competing in the meets. The rest of us have to be aggressive and make our own ways... Which is hard when you don't know how to train for that stuff.

OK, i hope you hurry back to workout world soon anyway.
2011-03-03 3:40 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Well not good news for me. I have not had any improvement so the next step is an MRI. Of course I can not get the scheduled for 2 weeks. The frustrating part is the Dr said its best to get after shoulder injuries as fast as possible. On top of that I also got the flu last week. Uhhggg bad couple of weeks.

2011-03-03 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

That sucks big time. The only positive things I can come up with are:

• This will add to the glory once you will run the race.
  • At least your no longer ill

Hang in there man. As we say in holland: After the rain the sun will shine.

In regard to the next round of beginner groups. I would go for a new group if I where you Robin. I think all the active people left here (including those with messed up shoulder) can join that group and welcome others. In the mean time I'm open to welcome anyone who likes to join this one while waiting on the new rounds to start.

In regard to my progress: Had a small motivation dip last weak. But just got back from a sweet workout give me the good vibes again.

@ Robin: How is your recovery going?

2011-03-05 8:03 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
@Brian, yeah it's frustrating the run-around you get from the doctors. Have you been able to find a good sports physical therapist? Those folks can usually get to work on you immediately. (In Phoenix we have http://www.endurancerehab.com/... I bet Sacramento has a similar notable rehab place for athletes?)

@Stijn, my ankle is healing frustratingly slow! I went and watched an olympic weightlifting meet today at my gym -- and I would so very much like to participate. It will take forever!

Here's one of my favorite Ironman videos for some motivation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w

Edited by robin314159 2011-03-05 8:06 PM
2011-03-09 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3384413

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

I am still waiting for the MRI and to actually see an orthepedic. The orthepedic Dr. has an associated physical therapy place. I went there for my knees so I am guessing I will be back. It was pretty good and got me going in the right diresction.

It is actually getting way worse so I can't wait until next week to get it figured out.  

2011-03-09 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3390351

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
BMiller71 - 2011-03-09 10:46 AM

I am still waiting for the MRI and to actually see an orthepedic. The orthepedic Dr. has an associated physical therapy place. I went there for my knees so I am guessing I will be back. It was pretty good and got me going in the right diresction.

It is actually getting way worse so I can't wait until next week to get it figured out.  

Ugh, sorry to hear that. Having just gone through all that myself last December, I know how much it sucks. Felt like the doctors were giving me the run-around. I had a doctor tell me to stay off my sprained foot, and by the time I was able to get into the orthopadic doctor my calf had completely atrophied. And then the ortho doc was like "You shouldn't have stayed off of it so long."

But the bright side of the story was, that everything has gotten better since seeing that doc! Hang in there! There is plenty of time to get in a triathlon, and only one great chance to fix your injury the right way. It's just a game all of us athletes have to deal with at some point, right?
2011-03-13 6:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Louisiana

Hey gang,

How's everyone? I see that Brian is still nursing his injury and Robin has achieved her deadhang pullup goal!! How are you doing Stijn?

This is a bit delayed, but I know that Robin is thinking about reopening the group up to other members and I second that because I think others could really benefit from Robin's mentoring and those who are still training will enjoy the comraderie and support.

I'll check in from time to time. I've decided that I just want to have fun with my workouts and enjoy life. Not sure that I'll be doing triathlons anytime soon, so my role here is just to support you if that's okay.

Take care and have a great week training!

2011-03-21 2:01 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Well it is official, torn ligament in my shoulder. Luckily they had a canellation so I have surgery on Wednesday. Then 6 weeks in a sling (uuhgg) and 6 months to full recovery, which is better than I originally thought. Within 4 months I should be at 95% so hopefully within 3 I will be back running and riding a stationary bike. I am sure swimming will be the hardest to get back into.

My orginal goal was to get in the best shape of my life by the time I am 40 which is in November, so I can still get there.

Anyone know of any good books on training or motivation. I am normally not much of a reader because I don't sit still too often, but I am going to be logging in some serious couch time over the next few months.

2011-03-22 6:21 AM

User image

Regular
Utrecht

I recently bought the triathlon training bible. Though is not a motivation orientated book I do like it as it has a very solid scientific approach to the training for this sport.

Other than that I do not have very specific material on triathlon on my bookshelf. But I can imagine that after the surgery you will have a decent amount of time to read some reviews on books.

Good luck with the surgery!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » robin314159's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 7