BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 31

2010-12-26 8:04 AM

Uxbridge
Subject: Mav's mentor group - CLOSED

Name: Mav/ Marianne

Story: This will be my fifth season of triathlon. I am 52 years old.I work part time as a labor and delivery nurse. Four years ago I decided to stop taking my health for granted and quit smoking ( Smoked for 30 years) I started running and actually liked it. Before long, I injured my leg and began biking and swimming as part of my rehab.  A lifeguard at the pool suggested I try a triathlon. I did a sprint and was hooked.Since then I have completed multiple sprints and olys, a few HIM's and this past year I did my first IM. I love this sport.

Family Status: Married with 2 grown children

Current Training: Currently off season training. I plan on doing some strength training this off season before the race season begins again.

This years races: I plan to race 3 HIM's. Not sure what ones I plan to race yet. There are a couple of 2 mile swim races I plan to do and possibly a 5 K swim race. No full IM this year, but I will do another in 2012.

2010 races: I did a few sprints, a HIM aquanbike and a 2 mile swim race.. Most of my year was spent training in preparation for IMAZ. IMAZ was my first full IM race. I loved it!!!

Weight Loss: I have lost 20 pounds since I started triathlons. I would love to loose 10 more ...a girl can dream!!!!

What Will Make Me a Good Mentor:  When I joined BT 3 years ago I joined a mentor group and it helped me a great deal. I am not a coach, but I have enough experience that I can give some pretty solid advice to those who want to join the sport. I check in daily with BT and would love to help others who are new to the sport, or  even more seasoned people who are looking to go longer distances. I have learned so much from BT that being a mentor is my opportunity to give back!!!!

Edited by mav 2011-01-09 10:40 PM

2011-01-05 7:46 PM
in reply to: #3261680

Subject: RE: Mav's mentor group - OPEN
I am 55 years old and have registered for my 1st 1/2 Triatholon for May 15, 2011 called the Iron Girl in Atlanta. Sometimes I feel I may "have bit off more than I can chew" as I have only done a 5K in the past and spinning workouts!!  So....I will NEED LOTS of advice. My 2 sisters (age 56 & 54) have signed up as well! Looking forward to keeping in touch.
2011-01-05 7:52 PM
in reply to: #3280869

Uxbridge
Welcome to the group. Glad to have you.

Sounds like you have started down the road to becoming a triathlete...Never to late!!!
I would suggest that you find a pool and begin swimming. You have plenty of time to build up the endurance necessary for a sprint. Do you know how to swim?

I would also suggest that you use the couch to sprint training plan here on BT. Its free and if you do all the workouts you will have no trouble making it across the finishline.

There is plenty of time til your race in May and I have no doubt that you can do this!!! I would ask that you log your workouts daily in your log. I will check on you during the week to see how you are doing and offer you suggestions. It also holds you accountable

Dont be afraud to ask questions along the way.

2011-01-06 8:22 AM

User image

New user

Name: Julie

Story: This will be my first season of triathlon. I am 32 years old. I work as a hair stylist.  In 2009 I ran 2 half marathons – Spirit of Columbus, OH 2:16, Columbus Half Marathon 2:09. Since then I’ve been on ad off from running. It is freezing in Columbus now and I don’t do well running outside. I will run and bike inside and just got a pass to an indoor pool. I’m really excited to combine these sports together and challenge myself in a different way.

Family Status: Married with 1 step-daughter 12yrs old.

Current Training: off and on – was going to focus on a training plan online but not sure which one to do.

This years races: I plan to race Flying Pig Half Marathon, Cincinnati OH April 30, Sprint Tri Alum Creek, Columbus OH June 12. Would like to do at least another Sprint or Olympic tri but would like to see how the first one goes.

2009 races: 2 Half Marathons
2010 races: Nothing – running off and on but nothing set and some weight training.

Weight Loss: I lost 20 pounds since I started running and changed my diet in 2009. Since then I’m up 6 pounds. This is not a main focus of mine but don’t mind if it a result of healthy training and diet.

2011-01-06 8:39 AM

Uxbridge
Welcome Julie!!!!

There are plenty of beginner plans on this site that are free. Take a look at them and see which one matches your current fitness. There are 16 week plans 20 week plans. There are also focus plans which focus on your weaknesses. If you are weak at swimming...they will have you swim 3 times/week . These plans can be downloaded into your training logs so you can go to your log and see what you need to do each day. I would encourage you to log all your workouts so I can check and see how you are doing, and offer advice.

Mostly I would suggest you sign up for a race. Find a sprint distance race 1/4 mile swim..12-15 mile ride...3 mile run. The sooner you sign up the more motivated you will be to do the race and train regularly. Most races can be found by googling the state and "sprint triathlon"

The BT plans are great. If you do most of the workouts you will finish any race strongly.

I hear you on the cold...its freezing here today and I have a longish run to do. Waiting for the sun to warm things up a bit. We are in for snow again this weekend!!!
2011-01-06 12:29 PM

Hi, can I join in.

I am 33 and am a new mum (Teigl's now 4 months old) My local town are holding their first triathalon to celebrate their bicentenary, and I have decided to take part in order to help getting myself healthy in a sensible way as I am breast feeding and dont want to resart smoking or stupid diet to lose the weight.

I believe that the triathlon is a sprint triathlon (www.port-tri.co.uk) and I have looked at the 2x olympic 16 week plan as that is EXACTLY how much time I have to train if I start properly on Monday. (Race is Sunday 11th April)

I am a beginner, but have always swam and love it, I walk quite regularly (well before the baby) about 4-5 kms say 2 to 3 times a week, and it has been ages since I've been on a bike.

I would be greatful for any support and advice as I want to see this through and not just give up

Thank you

2011-01-06 12:49 PM

Uxbridge
Welcome tanwen!!!

First congrats on your new baby. Training for a triathlon is a great way to get in shape after delivery!!!

If you have signed up for a sprint you do not need to train to an olympic distance. An olympic is about double the distance of a sprint. Take a look at the distance of your race.

Generally a sprint is  500-750 meter swim,  20 -25K bike and 5 K run
                an Oly is   .9 mi /1400 meter swim,    40-45 K bike and 10 K run

If you want to put in a certain amount of time take a look at the training plans and make the focus your weakness ( in your case perhaps biking). Do you own a bike?

Be sure while you are still nursing to drink plenty of fluids before and after your workouts. Its great that you are swimming and walking a good distance before you astrt training. You shoould have no problem.

Welcome to the group!
2011-01-06 1:17 PM

User image

Name: Heather

Story: I began training for a triathlon in 2010 after my dad was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Every day he faced challenges like chemo and radiation. I felt like I needed to do something to challenge myself, too. It wasn't nearly the same kind of thing that he was going through, but it was a little scary and "unknown." My training was great. It was an excellent stress reliever for me, and my dad was so proud! He was a marathoner and we talked endlessly about training, nutrition, and gadgets. I think it gave him something fun to focus on for a while. My dad passed away just 6 weeks before my first triathlon. It was hard to keep going knowing he wouldn't be there at the finish line, but I knew he was watching from above and cheering me on. So, this year I want to continue my journey. I actually ride his bike, use his watch and read his sports books. Even though he's not here, I kind of feel like I'm bringing him along with me.
**okay that was a little sad. I really am a perky person - so enough with the sob story!
I have a preschooler and an infant, and I work from home. Finding time to get my training in is difficult, but it usually works out. I always feel so much better after finding that time for myself.

Family Status: Married with 3 yr old and 11 mo old daughters.

Current Training: About to start the 12-week Duathlon plan from BT. Will add swimming when neighborhood pool opens.

This year's races: I plan to do a 5K/19mi/5K duathlon in April. I'd like to pick something for mid-summer, then end with the Acworth Women's Sprint Tri in August.

2010 races: I completed the Acworth Women's Tri last August. It was great, but I was so slooooowwww....

Weight Loss: I definitely need to get rid of 10 lbs left over from my pregnancy before the baby becomes a toddler!

2011-01-06 1:42 PM

Uxbridge
Welcome Heather!!!
Congrats on Your Baby!!!!! I am still trying to loose my baby fat and my "baby" is 26!!!!!!
Your dad would be very proud of you!!!!

Its a real juggling act balancing training and family, but your kids are growing up with a GREAT role model. Taking time for yourself everyday is so important. It also helps to deal with the stressors of parenthood!!!!

It sounds as is you are on the right track with your training program. Try and log your workouts everyday and I will stop by your logs from time to time to check on your progress.
2011-01-06 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3282645

User image

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm excited about training with a group.

I just imported my training plan, and I'm getting it all set up. I'll follow the directions to add you and the others in the group to view my log.

I'm about to go for my first ride on my new trainer (thanks, Santa!). I'll post the details to the log after my ride.

Do you have a workout on tap today? Hope the weather isn't too limiting!

--H
2011-01-06 1:59 PM
in reply to: #3282684

Uxbridge
I just finished running 7 mi...a bit chilly!!!!! I have to stack a cord of wood today...so that is my pm strength training

Have fun on the trainer.

What kind of  bike do you have????

2011-01-06 2:16 PM

User image

7 mi... that's great! I almost think cold weather is worse than hot and humid.

My bike was second hand when my dad bought it. So, it's some neon accented road bike from the 80s. It's actually quite a sight! I'm planning on taking it to a bike shop to see if it is anywhere close to fitting me. It's pretty small. So, I don't think it's a terrible fit, but I may upgrade to something better this summer. It's just so sentimental
2011-01-06 3:14 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Hey Marianne! I would love to join but for personal reasons I am keeping my blog private...as long as you don't have a problem with that...I know it isn't the norm!
2011-01-06 4:16 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Starting out/intro
hi all!

I read through the mentor's self descriptions, and yours spoke to me...

I'm 41, and quit smoking 6 months and 16 hours ago. (I track it with QuitMozilla - a nifty add-on for quitters)  I smoked for 25 years...

I decided to start making changes after I separated from my wife.  I figured, "all those things that you've been wanting to do?  Now's the time, because if not now, when?"  After 6 years of separation, I met a lady who was training for an indoor tri.  Just seeing how excited she was about it got me excited...   not enough to do it, mind you, but excited.  then she did a sprint tri, and I decided that I needed to start working towards that...  
Since I was a competitive swimmer in my youth, I thought that would be a good place to start...  it was hard, especially since I was still smoking...  (I'm not the brightest light on the tree :~))
the exercise demanded more breath than I had, so I tapered off of cigarettes...   and since the swimming was coming back pretty easily, I decided that I'd start training on the running.  running was never my strong suit. 
So I started on the "Couch to 5k" program, but the weather turned and my job changed, and in order to run, I'd have to be doing it at 4:30 in the morning.  I decided that that wasn't such a hot idea. 

Then it was November, and the days were getting short, and then it was December, and it was dark when I left for work and dark when I got home, and then it was January, and I said, "enough!  enough with the excuses!"

So I bought a month pass to the rec center...   I swam last night...   and I decided to find some training program, so I wasn't just winging it...

and that's how I ended up here.

my goals: 
finish an indoor tri in March
finish the Warrior Race at the end of May
finish the Dog Days sprint tri in August.

blue skies!

2011-01-06 4:27 PM
in reply to: #3282882

Uxbridge
Happychick - 2011-01-06 4:14 PM Hey Marianne! I would love to join but for personal reasons I am keeping my blog private...as long as you don't have a problem with that...I know it isn't the norm!

Michelle you are more than welcome!!!!! It just helps me to take a peek at logs so I can better understand where people are in their training. I'll just have to ask you a million questions LOL!!!!!
2011-01-06 4:36 PM
in reply to: #3283040

Uxbridge
Subject: RE: Starting out/intro
onefaller - 2011-01-06 5:16 PM hi all!

I'm 41, and quit smoking 6 months and 16 hours ago. (I track it with QuitMozilla - a nifty add-on for quitters)  I smoked for 25 years...

I decided to start making changes after I separated from my wife.  I figured, "all those things that you've been wanting to do?  Now's the time, because if not now, when?"  After 6 years of separation, I met a lady who was training for an indoor tri.  Just seeing how excited she was about it got me excited...   not enough to do it, mind you, but excited.  then she did a sprint tri, and I decided that I needed to start working towards that...  
Since I was a competitive swimmer in my youth, I thought that would be a good place to start...  it was hard, especially since I was still smoking...  (I'm not the brightest light on the tree :~))
the exercise demanded more breath than I had, so I tapered off of cigarettes...   and since the swimming was coming back pretty easily, I decided that I'd start training on the running.  running was never my strong suit. 
So I started on the "Couch to 5k" program, but the weather turned and my job changed, and in order to run, I'd have to be doing it at 4:30 in the morning.  I decided that that wasn't such a hot idea. 

Then it was November, and the days were getting short, and then it was December, and it was dark when I left for work and dark when I got home, and then it was January, and I said, "enough!  enough with the excuses!"

So I bought a month pass to the rec center...   I swam last night...   and I decided to find some training program, so I wasn't just winging it...

and that's how I ended up here.

my goals: 
finish an indoor tri in March
finish the Warrior Race at the end of May
finish the Dog Days sprint tri in August.

blue skies!

HUGE CONGRATS TO YOU ONE FALLER!!!!!!! I always tell people...if I can quit anyone can. Pack a day for thirty years!!! Now it just grosses me out...I will never go back. You have been through the worst of it...now you can get fit
Its really tough in the begining...not only do you have to adapt to training...your lungs have to adapt to the work they have to do. I still blame being a crappy runner on smoking ( I gotta be able to justify my crappy times)

Take a look at the training plans here on BT. Figure out which one works for you and the date of your first tri. You can download training plans into your log. That way when you come here everyday you can look at your workout and post how well you are doing!!!!!! Let me know if I can help you once you have had a chance to look them over.

Glad to see a guy finally signed up for this group!!!

2011-01-06 5:03 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Thanks Marianne...I have no issues with a gazillion questions as I tend to be quite the chatterbox anyway (:

Name
: Michelle

Story: After having my daughter in Jan '08 I was up to almost 200 lbs ~ the heaviest I had ever been. I wanted to lose the weight so bad but I am a very goal oriented person and without one I just couldn't get motivated. Since I had always wanted to do a triathlon I started looking into it and found BT. In October of that same year I joined and signed up for my first triathlon and in the process lost 65 lbs. I absolutely fell in love with triathlons and racing in general however due to a move from Hawaii to WA and a "few" struggles along the way I didn't do much racing last year. Again in October (that seems to be my goal setting month, huh?!) I got my butt in gear again, figured out a schedule and started racing again. Unfortunately I have put on almost 20 of those lost pounds but know that it will all work itself out in the end

Family Status
: Married (going on 15 years in May) with our daughter who will turn 3 on the 29th of this month.

Current Training: Training for a 1/2 marathon in March.

This years races
: I plan to do a race every month. This cold, rainy place ~ can you feel my slight discontemt for WA weather (; has made me turn to a lot of running races so it looks like I will only being doing a few tri's/du's but I am still trying to learn the race venue here and what takes place when. I'd like to do Lake Stevens HIM in August but I might have to hold off until next year...

2010 races
: 3 running races but all in Hawaii (:

Weight Loss: As I said before I initially lost 65 lbs but have gained a "few" of that back so I have every intention of losing that (again) and with any luck, a few more ~ like Marianne said...a girl can dream, right?!
2011-01-06 5:06 PM

Thank you for the welcome.

I was just looking into the 16 week sprint training program and just coming in here to ask if it was better for me when I read your reply.

I have a bike, albeit my mother's handmidown (she got a new one cos this one was too heavy) I have also bought a Bike Trailer so I can take Teigl in her Car seat in it. I can go Jogging with her in the pram and my mum / boyfriend will be able to look after her whilst I go swimming.

Hi to everyone else here aswell and all the best with your trainings 
2011-01-06 5:09 PM
in reply to: #3283040

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: Starting out/intro
onefaller - 2011-01-06 2:16 PM hi all!

So I started on the "Couch to 5k" program, but the weather turned and my job changed, and in order to run, I'd have to be doing it at 4:30 in the morning.  I decided that that wasn't such a hot idea.....

Name...name would be good here (Come on...we've all seen Pretty Woman, right?!) I have a thing with using first names if I can so if anyone wants to help me out and put their's in their sig block i'd love you for it...just saying

Anyway, now that my antics are out of the way...CONGRATS on all of it!! The whole 4:30 in the morning things sucks at first but believe it or not, before you know it you'll be waking yourself up ready to go (at least most mornings!)
2011-01-06 5:11 PM
in reply to: #3282727

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
heatherb555 - 2011-01-06 12:16 PM 7 mi... that's great! I almost think cold weather is worse than hot and humid.

My bike was second hand when my dad bought it. So, it's some neon accented road bike from the 80s. It's actually quite a sight! I'm planning on taking it to a bike shop to see if it is anywhere close to fitting me. It's pretty small. So, I don't think it's a terrible fit, but I may upgrade to something better this summer. It's just so sentimental

Having lived in both Alaska and Hawaii (and a bunch of places in between)I have to go with the cold is worse than hot and humid!
2011-01-06 5:14 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA

Random stuff going on here...
I know most are in their off season but i'm playing by different rules this year. I figure if I have to live in, what I consider, a crappy climate then I might as well suck it up and at least do something I love...racing!! With that said, I am doing a 6.5 mile race this Saturday around Lake Sammish ~ I hear it is an awesome run so we shall see.

Edited by Happychick 2011-01-06 5:16 PM

2011-01-06 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3282684

Uxbridge
heatherb555 - 2011-01-06 2:53 PM Thanks for the encouragement! I'm excited about training with a group.

I just imported my training plan, and I'm getting it all set up. I'll follow the directions to add you and the others in the group to view my log.

I'm about to go for my first ride on my new trainer (thanks, Santa!). I'll post the details to the log after my ride.

Do you have a workout on tap today? Hope the weather isn't too limiting!

--H

Heather
Its great that you imported your training plan. I cant check it  because you made your logs private. Thats fine. Im not sure if you meant to make it private. If you make it friends only and add the people from the group to your friends list everyone will be able to see it.
2011-01-06 6:53 PM

Uxbridge
Michelle I thought you had been in Hawaii when we were in the challenge groups. When did you move?

Just so you all know... there is a great feature on BT. One of the forums is dedicated to "challenges". Each month therer are new challenges. I have done the "Get your a$$ on the trainer challenge" and a few others. Its a way to keep you motivated and the groups are a lot of fun. SOmething to think about down the line. You might want to lurk there and check it out.

Once our group is full I think I will have our own little challenge for this group Im still working on it!!!!
2011-01-06 8:15 PM

User image

Beantown
I am dropping by to say that you have all chosen the BEST MENTOR!

I am very lucky to have known MAV personally for last 2 and a half years.  In fact, I consider her my mentor in many things but triathlon is where it all started. Without her guidance and enthusiasm I probably would have said 'nah, this isn't for me'. I'll never forget my first nervous phone call to meet up for an open water swim, something I'd never done.  Obviously I survived~

MAV was there at the finish line of my first sprint .... because she's awesome and a whole lot faster than I was (and she still is!

Over the last year I watch her train for Ironman Arizona and I continue to be in awe of her commitment to the sport and to herself everyday.

Take advantage of her boat-loads of knowledge and be as inspired as I am everyday!!

....and most important - breath, believe in yourself, and HAVE FUN!
2011-01-06 8:36 PM
in reply to: #3283311

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
mav - 2011-01-06 4:53 PM Michelle I thought you had been in Hawaii when we were in the challenge groups. When did you move?

Just so you all know... there is a great feature on BT. One of the forums is dedicated to "challenges". Each month therer are new challenges. I have done the "Get your a$$ on the trainer challenge" and a few others. Its a way to keep you motivated and the groups are a lot of fun. SOmething to think about down the line. You might want to lurk there and check it out.

Once our group is full I think I will have our own little challenge for this group Im still working on it!!!!

Yeah I moved to WA in May after my hubby retired from the Army. I love the area but am not impressed with the weather...in case you haven't noticed

As for challenges...I must say I LOVE them! They are a great way to keep you motivated especially when you need a kick in the butt and is a great way to meet some peeps ~ some may even be in your area. Speaking of which, is another reason to keep your logs open if you can...that way we can come harass inspire you. Normally I love the kicks in the arse I receive but like I said, right now my thoughts must remain quiet as I use my log as a sounding board as well as a workout tracker!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mav's mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 31